1 2 3 4 5
dyintorace (Forum Supporter)
dyintorace (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/31/20 9:23 a.m.

That nest is long empty. No risk of inhabitants at this point.

My buddy who is going to get that truck running again hopes to preserve that nest somehow as part of the truck's patina!

1/1/21 2:04 p.m.

Making progress. As highlighted in this thread, I successfully got the plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor changed out!

Plug gap discussion for a '71 Ford 302

1/1/21 2:26 p.m.

I'm changing the oil next. While under it just now, I found this puddle. Any thoughts on what's leaking?

1/1/21 2:27 p.m.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/1/21 2:29 p.m.

Is that the steering box? Looks too yellow to be steering fluid though. 

But it definitely looks like the steering box to my untrained eyes. Check the power steering fluid level and maybe compare the color. 

1/1/21 2:41 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

Is that the steering box? Looks too yellow to be steering fluid though. 

But it definitely looks like the steering box to my untrained eyes. Check the power steering fluid level and maybe compare the color. 

I think you're right. Here's a top side picture. 

1/1/21 2:43 p.m.

Another question. The oil smells like gas. Is that typical? The truck has been sitting for ~18 months and has only been run 3 times since I bought it, each time just for 3-5 minutes. 

demnted
demnted New Reader
1/1/21 3:12 p.m.

fuel pump diaphram??

could possibly allow fuel thru to mix with oil.

excessive fuel down carb throat to start?

stuck choke allowing excessively rich mix to wash and then mix with oil?

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
1/1/21 5:52 p.m.

Kinda looks like brake fluid.  Do the brakes hold pressure?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/2/21 11:31 p.m.

You might have fuel leaking either from a dried up rubber fuel line between the fuel pump and the Hard line (or the fuel pump itself).  It could also be that the hard line is rusted.  By "hard line" I'm referring to a steel line that runs from the vicinity of the fuel tank to the vicinity of the fuel pump.  This leak could be happening inside the frame and running along the frame until it finds a convenient way out (which might happen to be along the steering box and/or pitman arm that appears wet).

At least I hope it's fuel...because a leaky steering box is not going to be fun.

If it smells like gas, it's almost certainly gas.  So crawl under there and get familiar with your fuel system!  ;)

Edit...I re-read your posts and see that I've misread your two separate questions (I first mis-read that the leak smelled like gasoline).

I'm afraid your steering box is probably leaking.  Hopefully it's not a major deal, but it might be something to take to a professional for repair.

Oil in the gas can be from a bad fuel pump (the insides fail as mentioned previously and let fuel into the crankcase).  That's not a given...but a common failure mode.  If this is the case, you need to fix it before running the engine much.

1/3/21 7:01 p.m.

Update: It's definitely power steering. I drove it around the block today and it required massive amounts of wrestling to steer at low speeds. Now to figure out what to replace in order to solve the issue.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/7/21 10:53 p.m.

That steering system should only have about 4 components that could leak fluid.  The pump (mounted to the engine, belt-driven), the Gearbox (mounted to the frame), the High Pressure hose or the Low pressure "return" hose (both hoses go between the pump and the gearbox).

Pumps and hoses are fairly common sources of steering fluid leaks and are not-too-difficult to replace, generally.  Steering gear boxes aren't as common for leakage...but if it is the box leaking, it's a more involved job than the other three components.  

I'd just start tracing the drip from the bottom to the top and see what's the highest component in the system that's wet (assuming no other leaks...that's probably not a valid assumption, though).

Edit to add that I also learned recently that a ford of this vintage might not use generic "steering fluid."  It's worth a google of your application...but it might want an Automatic Transmission Fluid in there.  (Motorcraft has one...but I'm sure there's non-oe fluid that would be suitable).  

AdamC_RK
AdamC_RK New Reader
3/28/24 2:48 p.m.

I stumbled across this post following a google search.  My father bought THIS Bronco while in Florida a couple weeks ago and had it shipped to New York.  It arrived this past Sunday and he's getting started on cleaning it up and getting it running.  It was absolutely wild to stumble across a build thread someone else had started. 

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/24 4:27 p.m.
AdamC_RK said:

I stumbled across this post following a google search.  My father bought THIS Bronco while in Florida a couple weeks ago and had it shipped to New York.  It arrived this past Sunday and he's getting started on cleaning it up and getting it running.  It was absolutely wild to stumble across a build thread someone else had started. 

How cool! It was a neat truck but well beyond my meager capabilities. I bought it from a buddy's mom. Her husband passed away and left a few cars scattered around their property, including this Bronco. I sold it to a buddy here in town who quickly determined the same thing I did. I lost track of it once he sold it. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/28/24 4:43 p.m.
AdamC_RK said:

Keep the thread going!  Would love to see how its doing.

AdamC_RK
AdamC_RK New Reader
3/29/24 8:51 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
AdamC_RK said:

Keep the thread going!  Would love to see how its doing.

We will.  For sure

RogerD
RogerD New Reader
4/3/24 8:39 a.m.

New owner of the 1982 Bronco Project.

My first goal for the Bronco is to get compliant with New York safety requirements for inspection and then registration so I can drive it for the summer and decide what's next.

I am currently changing all of the bulb sockets that are 40 plus years old and replacing the taillights.  The dash instruments don't seem to work so I am pulling out the instrumental panel to determine if it can be repaired.  Discovered a lot of "mud daubers" nests under the dash when I removed it.  Don't have these guys in NY but it's clear there are a lot of them in Florida!  Horn doesn't work so that's on the list as well.

Once I am satisfied with the electrical I will address the brakes which is another big item in NY inspection.  The Bronco stops but not as quickly as it should.  Not sure yet what that is about but will find it and it will stop as new again laugh.

And then a general maintenance and inspection of the suspension.  Definitely new shocks (thanks AdamC_RK for the front set).  Plus I am not sure of the age of the fuel so I will drain it and load it with new fuel and some seafoam for good measure.

More to come...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/24 9:06 a.m.

Welcome to the forum!

Horn might be an easy fix if you have voltage up to the horn

They are subject to corrosion like anything else.  There should be a central bolt on the back side of it, take that out, squirt some penetrating oil in there and let it sit for a while.  Tap on the housing with a small hammer for a bit, reassemble, plug it in and test.

Continue tapping with a hammer while someone holds the button down if it sounds kinda crummy

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/3/24 9:18 a.m.

Welcome to the GRM forum! I'm excited to see where you take the Bronco! :)

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
4/3/24 9:50 a.m.

SO cool this got resurrected!  Following!

Piguin
Piguin Reader
4/3/24 1:53 p.m.

Welcome!

Looking forward to what the future holds. 

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/3/24 3:18 p.m.

I love multi-owner build threads!!! 

Ones that contain old trucks are the icing on the cake!

RogerD
RogerD New Reader
4/19/24 9:37 p.m.

And so like every "project" vehicle ever, this project went off the rails when I realized that long term storage created some issues that needed to be addressed before the Bronco went back on the road.  Leaves and pine needles found their way into all of the heating ventilation ducts.  This required full disassembly of the heater box under the hood and inside.  Flapper doors were in bad condition.  Cables were frozen.  And the heater core looked rough and since it was all apart it was the time to replace it.  The complete dashboard was removed for full access to the heating and wiring.  And since it is out, it can be repaired and painted.  Hoping to have the heating system, dashboard, and wiring put back together in a week and then it's on to the brakes and suspension.  Oh and since the seat belts had parts missing and the retractor seemed questionable, out they go and new ones from Jegs will go in.  Without air bags, the seat belts become very important.

AdamC_RK
AdamC_RK New Reader
4/20/24 12:08 a.m.

In reply to RogerD :

I'll machine those parts for you in the morning when I get to the shop. If you want to swing by and grab them

Motojunky
Motojunky New Reader
4/20/24 8:17 a.m.

Very cool! This thread reminds me that I have a 1984 that I pulled from a barn last fall. It's stored over at a buddy's house until I make time to get to it. I probably won't. :( Hoping that your thread will motivate me. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ttyWkV6ITxwhWgAmPHxPqCP04aoonT1njPrjmczioHOa4TyGcMMTsAkdYJ0ITWo7