1 ... 10 11 12
mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/27/16 2:28 p.m.

In reply to simontibbett:

And this is the first event I've run since resetting the floats and the car ran amazing. It doesn't like to have you go from full throttle to nothing, but blipping the throttle with two feet in takes car of any issues. Started great,ran great, stayed cool from and engine temperature standpoint, the car was mechanically perfect all weekend. The best it's been.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/27/16 3:31 p.m.

My guess is front struts. Our 1st gen would push like crazy when the STRUTS were weak.

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/27/16 5:23 p.m.

Tires can make a gigantic difference. I rallycrossed a friend's E30 that acted exactly as you described while it was equipped with all seasons up front. The only way you could get the car to think about turning in was by hard braking at the right time to get maximum weight transfer to the front. We borrowed someone's snow tires for the second half of the day and it was a whole different car. It would turn in just fine and our times when from bottom of the pack to upper middle.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/27/16 8:15 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr:

Interesting. The car is still on the springs/struts that it had as a road race car. Spec7 cars aren't super stiff, but the front is noticeably stiffer than. the rear.

As far as tires, yes, we know the tires are an issue. The venue we were at would have obliterated the soft grasstrack tires I have for special occasions. Still, we've run something like 200 RX runs with the car and both of us got out after the first run and thought the car was terrible. Might have just been conditions and the tires together as we did figure out how to make it fast by the end.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/21/16 3:21 p.m.

Working toward the upcoming Rally Trials. Still need to repack one wheel bearing and finish mounting the passenger seat. One Lap coming up means I need to have the car loaded on the trailer a week from tomorrow. No problemo.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/25/19 10:50 a.m.

Why bump this? Excellent question, I'm glad you asked. 

I never did an update on the Rally Trials, but we ran them. Car was ok-ish. It was stupid hot inside. I thought we were going to die. I gave it to my co-driver. He rand some HPDE's in it. It sat under his tree. He bought a house. It sat under a different tree. He tried to give it back to me. I refused. I bought a Miata. I took my friend rallycrossing in the Miata. He had so much fun that he asked me about the RX-7. Now it looks like the RX-7 is going to him this weeknd. I'm 100% sure that means I'm going to end up working on it again. More importantly, it's going to run and drive again, and that's awesome. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/25/19 11:31 a.m.

I’m glad I don’t have more friends like you closer or i’d probably have more cars than I already do

mazdeuce - Seth
3/3/19 5:45 a.m.

At it's new home. More details to come I'm sure. I'll be shocked if I don't end up working on this thing again. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/3/19 11:48 a.m.

I laughed seeing this picture. Pretty sure those are the two transmissions you gave me.

mazdeuce - Seth
4/14/19 8:10 p.m.

To the track! My buddy dragged the RX-7 back to my yard. And then while we were turning the rig around one of his patched tires started leaking. Luckily he had a solid spare. 

Then actually to the track! Running on six year old all seasons he was a bit slower than the Accord but the 12a has never run this good and he was pulling me on the straights. 

After three sessions he came off saying that right at the end he felt a weird wobble that was even present at parking lot speeds. I suspected a flat spot, but we found this. 

We walked over to the organizers and explained that although we didn't have any spare tires, we did a have a spare car and could we go get it? They though a spare car was rad, so Brian took off with the RX-7 in tow, dropped the whole rig at my house and returned with the crappy Miata. He then continued to thrash that for the rest of the weekend. It was fun.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/14/19 9:20 p.m.

I'm imagining that tire on a racetrack even with belts intact, and it's still funny. Sounds like a blast! 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/15/19 2:16 a.m.

I feel like people underestimate how important having a backup car is, if you're going to do OneLap... and it certainly seems, at a minimum, prudent if you're going to mod/track something.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/21 1:02 p.m.

The time has once again returned.. for me to resurrect an old thread that Seth started.. because I now own the car..

I was over at my buddy Brians saturday night drinking.. doing dirt bike stuff.. falling off dirt bikes..

and LLOYD came up in conversation..

In exchange for a 6 pack... LLOYD is now mine..

This became official this morning and Shenanigans are already afoot.

These are the photos of the Cage inside LLOYD.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
10/25/21 2:20 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

remember, if you run GLTC... you need to re-calculate your Power/Weight after cleaning all the mud/dirt out  wink

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/25/21 11:00 p.m.

That's the standard Autopower cage. 
following...

10/26/21 1:34 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) :

yeah that's about what i figured.

9/27/22 5:41 p.m.

Last year got busy, week before I took over LLOYD I met SWMBO and we've had an amazing year together and I did OLOA and a full season of Gridlife.. so now it's the off season..

So i'm headed to pickup LLOYD this weekend and then once he's at his new home.. we go from there step by step...

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/22 10:15 p.m.

I'll give you a 24 pack, quadruple your investment 

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y4b66N1aSAhbbjMxTCYQmcR391VFOmI8Yd4Ct0EPR1MugIpWTTf6KIwOxllpu7rj