1 2 3 ... 10
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/6/22 7:18 p.m.

So....some on here may remember about 10-11 years ago I had a 308 GT4 that was blown up and I was doing an STI swap in the back of it. It got really to close to firing and I ended up selling it. I got married, moved from Georgia to Alaska, maintained and modified a 240z long distance for a decade ......but I always kept a Ferrari fund because I knew I'd have another one. It's not a huge dollar amount (fully loaded 4Runners cost more) but to me it was a lot of money and time to save every bonus or profit from selling a car or motorcycle. Once I did the math that I could sell my 240z (that was fluke good investment from way back) and combined with my Ferrari fund, I could ship up the car I wanted. I contend that it's not a mid-life crisis car if you've been saving since your teens and that's the story I'm sticking with.

My criteria was simple. V8, gated shifter, runs well enough to get on a ferry. The timing worked out and I made a deal for a lifelong Southern California '84 Mondial QV coupe in Rosso corsa/Nero. It has some cosmetic issues but that's my price point and I think it still presents well. Mechanically it runs well without leaking or smoking and comes with LOTS of paperwork for maintenance.

You may be thinking that I don't realize how expensive these are to maintain but I certainly do. That's why it's important for me to do what I can myself and continue the Ferrari fund to budget for all the maintenance it will need. There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari but the way even Mondials are appreciating I'm feeling fine about it. A lot of Ferrari people hate Mondials. A lot of non Ferrari people hate Mondials. I don't get it and don't care. I have thought they were cool since I saw Gary get one in Weird Science.  Oh, the nerd movie with hot cyborgs and a soundtrack by Oingo Boingo. Once I read that out loud, maybe that's why Mondials aren't cool? laugh

Anyway here's some pics before it's badly needed detail is done:

I freakin' love this profile:

And this is my favorite picture of day 1. Let me set this scene. 9 a.m. 75*f , Los Angeles back streets, clicking gears at 7000 rpm on a gated Ferrari, blasting "I can't drive 55" through the Alpine cassette deck. Nobody could have done anything to ruin my mood after that first drive.

So this will still be GRM in the sense that I will be doing work myself sometimes and cross referencing parts with cheap econoboxes that use the same Bosch parts etc. I'll be touching up the cosmetics (touch up paint, trim) and then moving to more mechanical issues like the drivers side window motor and replacing suspension bushings etc.  When it's timing belt time, that may go to the local higher end Euro shop in Anchorage (we have one).

First things first, it needs to go from LA to Bellingham, WA then get on a boat to the last frontier. I hope to have the logistics worked out out and have it in the garage by July.

Pizza and Peronis for dinner tonight.

See y'all later

- Jay 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/22 7:39 p.m.

I've only seen one of these in person.  The owner had some kind of heat sensitive fire extinguisher loop on top of the engine.  Apparently they like to catch fire?  Maybe Indy-Guy can fill some in as he was buying a Jag from the guy.  I'll add that 12 year old me would have said oh it's a Mondail.  Almost 50 year old me says cool it's a Mondail!

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/6/22 7:50 p.m.

When are you projected to be coming through the Seattle - Bellingham area? You have a beer / coffee on me if timing works out.

Congrats dude!

johndej
johndej Dork
5/6/22 7:52 p.m.

Thought this might be the swap car coming back, any idea where that's at now?

Great choice on this one, I absolutely consider it a proper Ferrari and can't wait to hear about it on here!

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/6/22 8:10 p.m.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/6/22 8:16 p.m.

I also don't understand why so many dislike these. 

Looking forward to this.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/6/22 8:29 p.m.

Awesome Ferrari.  I loved it in Weird Science too.

Are you looking at the rpms?

No, I think I'm looking at about 50 tickets. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
5/6/22 8:45 p.m.

So 80s. So cool.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
5/6/22 9:01 p.m.

I love it when a plan comes together! Hannibal would be proud. Cool car!

5/6/22 10:01 p.m.
birdmayne said:

When are you projected to be coming through the Seattle - Bellingham area? You have a beer / coffee on me if timing works out.

Congrats dude!

I appreciate it but I'll be just paying for shipping on this one. I gotta get back to work or other wise a PCH trip to WA would be a good time. 

5/6/22 10:12 p.m.
AxeHealey said:

I also don't understand why so many dislike these. 

Looking forward to this.

I guess a crew cab 308 doesn't appeal to some folks. As far as 2+2s go, I don't think the lines get weird on a mid engine layout like they do on a FR car. But I honestly love these too much to care about the weird opinions on them. Mostly by people with super expensive Ferraris who think they are for poor people OR people who have no experience with them. Most Mondial owners seem to have a lot of fun with them. 

One of my favorite videos is this white cabriolet slap full of people lettin' her eat at an autocross. They aren't exactly slow. cheeky

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/22 10:14 p.m.

Approved!

Mondial coupes are pretty hard to find. I was looking for a good one a few years ago and eventually gave up. I thought it would be a really cool car to tote my toddler to day care in, with a car seat in the back. 

I didn't really even know about the Mondial until the cabriolet came to the US (1986?). Back then, I was fascinated by the buttress detail on the convertible tops and thought that it was really well done. But they do look really awkward with the top down. 

I think the coupes look fantastic, especially in black. 

Enjoy your Ferrari!

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/22 10:33 p.m.

Congratulations!!!

I stopped to look at a Mondial on a buy-here/pay-here lot in Decatur, IL 29-years ago, with "$12,000" written on the windshield. Fortunately they were closed, because I'm sure it was not a good example, and I absolutely would have made the horrible, life-ruining choice to buy it if I could have. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/6/22 10:36 p.m.

I am so jealous!

Mondials are one of the best kept Ferrari secrets along with the Dino 308 GT4. 

A few years ago I was hot on getting a 348 and had the chance to drive a Mondial T. Should have bought it. 

Looking forward to following along. 

WondrousBread
WondrousBread New Reader
5/7/22 7:58 a.m.

Mondials are cool, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. That side profile is particularly beautiful.

It's a Ferrari.  It's yours.  Enjoy it.  I have a ratty Jeep Cherokee XJ, with a Smiley Face key chain.  Why?  Because every time I drive it, it brings a smile to my face.  Enjoy the car, and get your own "Smiley Face" key chain.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/22 9:17 a.m.

Totally awesome.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
5/7/22 9:32 a.m.

I don't know why Mondials are black sheep. That's a gorgeous car, and if you didn't tell me it wasnt one of the more desirable models I wouldn't have guessed it. 

Guido he only follows the Ferrari! *Obligatory Cars reference*

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
5/7/22 9:47 a.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Congratulations and screw the naysayers. devil It’s red, has a prancing horse and a gated shifter.  Oh and it’s yours and you’ll actually drive it!

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
5/7/22 11:57 a.m.

Brilliant! In today's world of Bring a Trustfund car prices this is an amazing car for the money! So happy for you. 

I love the Beverly Hills car Club website. I go there an turn the filter to price low to high. I usually stop looking around 30k. Super fun site. It's great when there is just a carcass of some epic classic for lots of money. 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/22 12:11 p.m.

Congratulations! That's fantastic.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/22 12:37 p.m.

Watching with interest!

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
5/7/22 1:59 p.m.

I'll be following as well!

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
5/7/22 2:21 p.m.

I saw where you posted selling your Z car, but I did not see this coming!

That's awesome congrats!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/7/22 2:47 p.m.

That looks like a pretty sweet example to me, congratulations!

1 2 3 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Sk3fYRyzV6ZNOc3zqFM6J0CjWTFqWl9ym7aMIOqG5WuAuWDNbkwT1fjrlglKcFf