1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/18/22 9:17 a.m.

I came across this video from a local 3D printing engineering firm. Highly applicable to your car! Coincidentally, I am having lunch with the founder (young guy with the beard in the video) next week, so let me know if you have any questions for him. 

3D printing parts for a Ferrari Mondial

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/22 10:07 a.m.
dyintorace said:

I came across this video from a local 3D printing engineering firm. Highly applicable to your car! Coincidentally, I am having lunch with the founder (young guy with the beard in the video) next week, so let me know if you have any questions for him. 

3D printing parts for a Ferrari Mondial

That is super cool and holy cow I need 8 Jenvey ITBs sitting on top of the engine.cheeky

I wonder what else he made for him and if he still has files. I don't touch my sunroof because im afraid it will break stuck open and that basically my SOP for every old car with one. I wouldn't have even thought to make those guides.

Thanks for sharing that!

8/21/22 5:44 p.m.

Today I dropped of the car to have a paint correction detail done on the car. I tried to take some up close shots in the light to get the unflattering realities of the condition of the paint. It was overall in great condition for 40 years old but even though it was garaged inside, somebody had a cat that used the car as a jungle gym. The southern California sun didn't do much damage but there is light oxidation in spots, especially the front nose pieces. 

Friggin' Cats:

While I was getting my vinyl strip done on the windshield, the shop mentioned their neighbor does some nice paint correction work. I checked out his stuff and I was impressed with how much he was able to bring back on some of these cars. This 911 turbo had 5 times the amount of swirl marks my car has and it looked new afterwards. Obviously we are dealing with older single stage acrylic so it's a different method but hopefully starting gentle and working up, I'll have some improvements.

Got a quick update with a test spot on my most problematic spot on the front.

Before:

After:

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/21/22 6:07 p.m.

Would you mind asking what wheels are on that 996TT? I've never seen that set up and it looks cool!

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
8/21/22 6:16 p.m.
dyintorace said:

Would you mind asking what wheels are on that 996TT? I've never seen that set up and it looks cool!

volk TE37

8/21/22 6:27 p.m.
dyintorace said:

Oh man I'd say Volk te37s are some of the most popular track wheels I've seen on modern 911s.  I've had 3 sets of them on various cars and you can't go wrong with them. 

8/24/22 10:11 a.m.

Getting a couple teaser shots from the detailer.

Remember the hood before with the cat scratches that wasn't as glossy as it should be?:

And now still with no wax/sealant on it yet:

Front almost complete:

So far, this making a bigger change than I thought it would. I just wanted the cat scratches out and it's bringing a new life to all of the paint.  Good detail guys work magic that I can't wrap my head around.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/22 11:37 a.m.

Looking great!

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
8/24/22 3:10 p.m.

I love this!

Really like the 'unobtanium supply co.' brand of the thermostat bleeder.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/24/22 9:29 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Don't need exact numbers but how much does something like that cost?

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/22 6:44 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

You almost have enough Challenge cars for an even trade. 

Ooh... Very nice transformation.  Might be time for a real nice soft cover, or bye bye kitties.

8/25/22 9:43 a.m.
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) said:

Ooh... Very nice transformation.  Might be time for a real nice soft cover, or bye bye kitties.

I have a garage and no cats. This is all from the previous owner and why it bugged me so much. I wanted a refresh and then take care of it from there. Just like getting a baseline on fluids and maintenance.

As for those who asked about cost, this is going to be $1200 and that's with a discount since he likes doing more fun classics than newer stuff. More than a normal detail and less than a paint job. It takes about a week though and it's lots of time and materials. Given the results I'd say that's a deal.

I stopped by yesterday and it's about at 50% now with the drivers side almost done. laugh

Slippery
8/25/22 9:57 a.m.

That is not bad at all. I would love to have this done to a couple of my cars.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/22 10:12 a.m.

That looks amazing. 

8/29/22 1:59 p.m.

Paint correction is done and I had to get some comparison glamour shots since the car wasn't been this clean since Mary Lou Retton was on a Wheaties box.

Before from the sales ad:

After:

I can't believe the years that were able to be stripped off the paint. Before it didn't look bad on it's own but if it was parked besides the After photos, it would look pitiful. This has been the most satisfying thing I've done to a car in a long time.  Besides the buffing and polishing, the car got a graphene sealant coating which hopefully will make it last a while. More shots and videos of the process on the detailer's instagram : @dude_wit_da_kompressor. He gets his name from his modified supercharged c230 sedan(!) with a manual transmission which lets you know he's a real car dude. The car will not be this sparkly for a long time so I'll preserve the moment and then go on playing with it without being too scared of bug guts. laugh

8/31/22 10:59 p.m.

Is it the true Italian driving experience if you don't notice something broken every other time you drive it? laugh

This time it's the dang ol' Luci Arrestos acting up. Specifically the switch for it. I have running lights but nothing changes out back when I hit the pedal.

I ordered up a new one for $39 from AW Italian in NJ (who has been awesome btw). New on top, old on bottom:

While I was ordering electrical stuff, I picked up some Bosch relays for the windows, lights, and spares for the fuel system.

This has been handy so far:

I swapped the switch and some light fuses and relays that were original and when I got back in the car, HOLY COW IT'S CHRISTMAS LIGHTS ON THE DASH.

And nothing was broken.

I just didn't realize the interior lights were extremely dim before and I've never driven the car when it's dark. Alrighty, that's a nice bonus.

Out back, we have Luci Arrestos again when the pedal is pressed:

No more trouble lights and green means go:

Electrical + 39 year old Ferrari usually isn't a < $50 fix. They all won't be cheap but so far these little things getting knocked out are satisfying.

9/5/22 10:37 p.m.

Labor Day is here which means snow is coming. Temps are in the low 40s in the mornings already and it may be as early as 3-4 weeks before gravel gets laid down. So since the car is running well and the detail is fresh, I had to get a few more glamour shots to preserve the moment. Local photographer Nic Mann (project.kapture on IG) got some shots of the car rolling through downtown Anchorage near the port where I picked it up. 

If you look close, you can see my big goofy ass smile as I'm trying to play it cool.

Such 80's drama:

And my favorite which will become a wall hanger:

Not really part of the "build" but I thought I'd share. I'm working on doing a few more maintenance things and perhaps buying a second hand exhaust to mess with once the car gets put up. If people are sick of seeing the slow, homely Ferrari I apologize in advance!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/5/22 10:43 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

This is actually one of my favorite threads on here.

Keep it up!

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/5/22 11:02 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Not really part of the "build" but I thought I'd share. I'm working on doing a few more maintenance things and perhaps buying a second hand exhaust to mess with once the car gets put up. If people are sick of seeing the slow, homely Ferrari I apologize in advance!

I'm getting a kick out of it, not least because there's some common design language between your shiny new Mondial and my crusty old AW11 that gives me the warm fuzzies. Also, it's fun to realize that the "boring" Ferrari I didn't understand in my childhood is actually a little sweetheart.

For the exhaust system, you might try removing yours and building a reasonably rigid jig off it, then building a new exhaust system on the jig - which means at the workbench, working indoors and sipping on something nice.  Remove the new system from the jig and it should bolt up to the car just like the old one.  I did that for my AW11, whose exhaust system is not dissimilar to yours in size and layout, and it was infinitely easier than trying to do it on the car.

Slippery
9/5/22 11:03 p.m.

Those came out great!

9/6/22 10:15 a.m.
DarkMonohue said:

I'm getting a kick out of it, not least because there's some common design language between your shiny new Mondial and my crusty old AW11 that gives me the warm fuzzies. Also, it's fun to realize that the "boring" Ferrari I didn't understand in my childhood is actually a little sweetheart.

For the exhaust system, you might try removing yours and building a reasonably rigid jig off it, then building a new exhaust system on the jig - which means at the workbench, working indoors and sipping on something nice.  Remove the new system from the jig and it should bolt up to the car just like the old one.  I did that for my AW11, whose exhaust system is not dissimilar to yours in size and layout, and it was infinitely easier than trying to do it on the car.

I'm either buying a used setup that needs new welds and some grinding/paint at a large discount or trying to find somebody who can do stainless well here. After that, my options are quicksilver, tubi, capristo, etc all at $3k or more for a US spec setup. All the expensive ones look nice but sound similar and everything but the tips are hidden anyway. It's not even necessary but just a "want" and could be fun to mess with over the winter.

Slippery said:

Those came out great!

Thanks! I thought he did a great job and when there is feet of snow and/or the car is on jackstands they will be fun to look back at.

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
9/6/22 11:52 a.m.

Car looks great with the paint correction.

I saw this coupe at a local cars and coffee a couple of weeks ago. Was in excellent condition inside and out:

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
9/6/22 11:54 a.m.

A couple of other convertibles too. Nice to see the older cars out as this C&C leans more toward late model exotics and porsches.

9/6/22 4:07 p.m.
sevenracer said:

A couple of other convertibles too. Nice to see the older cars out as this C&C leans more toward late model exotics and porsches.

Sweet! I love to see the older stuff out and about.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
grw9aCkVzrnzJd4X7mKocKE6EQgASSIlUNOkMtjLBLucuHcULGMSLJTenKOiqAJL