1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/10/22 5:31 p.m.

I was able to pick up the previously mentioned Magnaflow exhaust setup for just a couple hundred bucks shipped. The previous owner is doing a Tesla swap so had no need for it plus most exhaust buyers are spending $3k and don't want a project. I felt like rolling the dice which considering only the last inch of the tips show and everything else is hidden, I don't need it to look perfect. If I hate it or it's too rowdy, I'll throw the stock setup back on. 

I went over the welds with my crappy mig welder, grinder, paint and half ass polished it. I'll probably mess with putting it on once the car is off the road for the season. Now we play the "will she notice this new pile of parts" game for a couple months. laugh

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/22 6:13 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

On a regular inline four, that system (or half of it, really) would almost certainly be brutal. You may get away with it since you have, in essence, a pair of inline fours working in tandem and theoretically smoothing out the sound a little. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds. 

9/10/22 6:38 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:

On a regular inline four, that system (or half of it, really) would almost certainly be brutal. You may get away with it since you have, in essence, a pair of inline fours working in tandem and theoretically smoothing out the sound a little. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds. 

This is what the twin 12 inch Magnaflows sound like. If I did road trips with the car I might reconsider but yeah 7k rpm occasionally I want that sound.

DarkMonohue
9/10/22 6:48 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

This is what the twin 12 inch Magnaflows sound like. If I did road trips with the car I might reconsider    but yeah 7k rpm occasionally I want that sound.

Yeah, that's definitely smoother and more musical than half of that setup on approximately half of that engine...and know we know.

9/10/22 6:57 p.m.
DarkMonohue said:
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

This is what the twin 12 inch Magnaflows sound like. If I did road trips with the car I might reconsider    but yeah 7k rpm occasionally I want that sound.

Yeah, that's definitely smoother and more musical than half of that setup on approximately half of that engine...and know we know.

The crossover pipe definitely helps a lot I'm sure. It's kind of well thought out for a crudely made setup. It's on brand for my style.

DarkMonohue
9/10/22 7:06 p.m.

I didn't see that corssover pipe at all!  No doubt that helps a bunch.

Blarg.  I need more cylinders.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/16/22 11:55 a.m.

My brother just sent me this one:

crankwalk (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/16/22 12:12 p.m.

^ That's literally less than half of current market value so it is either a scam or has a broken timing belt and needs $15-20k in engine work I'd say.  Considering it looks to have some large, heavy cheap chrome wheels I figure they did zero maintenance but spent their money on "buying RAMZ" for it and ran it in to the ground. 

Slippery
9/16/22 1:36 p.m.

I agree, but given that its in probably one of the ritziest neighborhoods of Miami who knows. Might be worth some checking.

9/16/22 10:38 p.m.
Slippery said:

I agree, but given that its in probably one of the ritziest neighborhoods of Miami who knows. Might be worth some checking.

Worth checking. If it runs and drives I'd budget $5k for timing belt/water pump and some cosmetics and you'd still be out ahead probably. 

9/19/22 12:24 a.m.

Headed out of town this afternoon and its pretty much peak fall colors here now with highs in the low 50s. My days are numbered for the season.

Lots of cops out on the highway this afternoon and I was getting these vibes:

Over to the other Mondial owner's place for a little diagnosis for an issue where he lost spark on one bank and it looks like a crank angle sensor. While testing it, he got the click click click from the starter and after a tap from the hammer it started again so while its up in the air that's coming out too.

While over there, I looked at some photos from the Ferrari scene up here in the 60s-80s. He had some photos that were gifted to him from the widow of an engineer Ralph Stefano who had a collection of 1950s-1960s race cars. He ice raced at Big Lake in Mondial 500s , Lussos, and TestaRossas with his group of 2-3 friends who jokingly played on the factory N.A.R.T. North American Racing Team theme with F.A.R.T. Ferrari Alaska Racing Team. The cars were cheaper back then but not exactly cheap. Now, his collection would be in the 8 figures. He died a while back and the collection sold off around the world but what a freaking legend.

His 1962 250 SWB California was seen racing around town in Anchorage in the late 60s/70s and now lives in the UK:

https://www.talacrest.com/stock/sold/1962-ferrari-250-swb-california-spyder/9262

Remnants live on:

So hopefully I can help carry on a small piece of the prestigious F.A.R.T legacy the other wild people who have come before me set in motion. Long live F.A.R.T.! laugh

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UberDork
9/19/22 2:39 p.m.

Thanks for posting about FART. Clearly the right crowd.

NashGTI
NashGTI New Reader
9/20/22 10:26 p.m.

Do they sell those shirts to just anyone?....or would one have to own a Ferrari in Alaska to purchase.....asking for a friend.

9/21/22 2:42 a.m.
NashGTI said:

Do they sell those shirts to just anyone?....or would one have to own a Ferrari in Alaska to purchase.....asking for a friend.

Ha! Nobody sells them at all or I would have one. It was just an inside joke for years up here and now everyone is gone that would have organized that stuff with the last in the early 2000s ish. I kinda just want to get it going again just for fun.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/21/22 6:17 a.m.

Came for the Weird Science references and sub'd for a cool story. The paint resto looks amazing!

And "Wyatt, your kitchen is blue". 

10/9/22 11:57 p.m.

With the snowline hovering right at our house now, I'm getting ready to take the car off the road for the season. 

Gratuitous dog photo incoming. Wet pup can't wait to play in the snow again but you can see the snow is maybe 200ft from the ground near our street.

I started grabbing gaskets for the exhaust.

Not buying the Ansa/Ferrari ones at $34 each lol.

These will hopefully work fine:

I'll need to figure out EGR and I'll likely just unplug the O2 sensor for my exhaust setup. K Jetronic uses the oxygen sensor for very slight tuning but it's an afterthought and the Euro cars just didn't even have them (along with EGR and catalytic converters).

Probably a few more weeks and I'll start taking it apart. In other news, I added a tiny Mondial for the office desk. cheeky

Edit: Nevermind, it's here.

10/18/22 7:40 p.m.

After getting in and out of the car all summer, the rip in the bolster on the driver seat kept getting worse. Unfortunately it was not on the seam but half an inch inward.

A local guy came out to me and made a repair and dyed the headrest as well for a reasonable cost. I'd say it's 90% better for not a ton of money and it at least won't keep ripping more.

The snow looks like it will melt enough to run into town this weekend and top off the car with Stabil then get in to the exhaust install.

10/21/22 11:28 p.m.

The snow receded just above the house so I snuck the car out for a quick drive to fill up the tank for winter storage. Got the Alpine blasting my old tapes and tonight was an Ice-T night. So glad I kept these for all these years. I haven't had anything to play them with in 20 years until this car. 

It's supposed to be clear but cold this weekend so perhaps I can squeeze in some more miles before my Sunday deadline of putting the car up. Here's a repeat of the first photo I took of the car in the neighborhood. Now with more fall colors and the side marker lens intact. 

1/7/23 12:18 a.m.

"Build" thread. I've been skiing and working and not feeling like getting underneath this thing for exhaust or oil cooler lines BUT I did replace the terribly rusty wheel bolts.

and got a sweet set of Coco Mats with the GRM Black Friday discount to replace worn factory ones.

Trust the template process. These people are experts.

Not a hand built v12 but a Mondial with Coco Mats gets me infinity boomer points. cheeky Happy New Year.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/23 3:40 p.m.

Coco Mats are fantastic.

Slippery
1/11/23 12:33 p.m.

Just saw this ... thought you would like it:

1/11/23 1:05 p.m.

And yet a MKII diesel Jetta might not be able to hit that 71 mph. laugh

RacerBoy75
RacerBoy75 New Reader
1/11/23 1:56 p.m.

I just discovered this thread and am loving it! Screw the naysayers about Mondials, even a less-cool Ferrari is still a Ferrari! I've driven a 308 and of course my Cayman is superior in every way, but the 308 was more interesting and fun to drive. And the sound was the best!

On Miata.net there is a guy in Calgary who has a '84 308 GTS and he has documented getting caught up on all the deferred maintenance and minor restoration stuff. It's a great thread, and it might be useful to look at it for reference since you have basically the same car. Gord is very meticulous, so he has lots of pictures of his work.

1984 Ferrari 308 GTS QV experience thread - MX-5 Miata Forum

1/12/23 12:14 a.m.
RacerBoy75 said:              
I've driven a 308 and of course my Cayman is superior in every way, but the 308 was more interesting and fun to drive.

You can cook a ribeye in the microwave faster than charcoal but fast ain't everything. ;)

ktmrider203
ktmrider203
2/8/23 9:52 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I had a white 83 Mondial QV for six years . Great car .  BMW and VW bits all over the car were a lot cheaper when needing replacements. It had its quirks for sure and was not fast . Tramlined a lot on highway due to TRX's and super stiff race car frame .  Engine sings sweetly. Replaced it with 328 GTS . Liked the Mondial better . Nobody wanted to race me in the Mondial.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XqCcAl7SJac65IXKDqExhCoVDMPRm6psq4mrNk8Vfy0vmf2q2Nk6PX1JGe0NQPYy