1 ... 33 34 35
crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
4/7/17 11:45 a.m.

Outstanding work! Now post wonderful 3rd gear WOT Alfa noise videos.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
4/8/17 7:28 a.m.

super awesome

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/17 9:13 a.m.

Epic Battle. I'm always okay with "I gave as good as I got". Thanks for sharing, and bon voyage.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/11/17 9:35 p.m.

Thanks everyone!

Crankwalk: unfortunately I didnt have time to set up a camera but the sound is just as good as I was promised! This stock exhaust is whisper silent when idling (Clockwork garage describes it as a sewing machine since all you hear is the valvetrain). Under 2k and you can tell there's an engine somewhere doing something, and then it starts to roll in gradually until she's at full song. Then it really is complete and utter ear sex

I cant wait to get this on some back roads, wherever I end up, and just let her loose!

Update on the shipping: I might fly back to the Washington to help Mrs. Hungary with the drive to Texas. If I do we're going to throw the Alfa on a trailer behind a Penske truck.

Good times

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
4/12/17 8:56 a.m.

Epic battle, well done sir

Hungary Bill
5/30/17 9:47 p.m.

Thank you sir

I just came in to post that due to delays with my paperwork I wasn't able to get back to the states for the big haul. However, the Alfa has been picked up by a U-shipper and is headed to M4ff3w in Austin. I need to send him a new shifter (so he can drive it) and a new hood release cable (I have no idea how we're going to do THAT one)

The 3-liter engine is currently in Colorado and is waiting the final leg of its journey to austin in the back of my old Toyota. After the unexpected delay of the truck breaking down, the GRM to the rescue thread (thank you for everyone who really saved my skin on that one!) and how long the engine has sat in the back under a tarp, I have no idea what sort of condition it will be in but there is always hope. Also Mazdeuce is looking for a project, and we did bring up the idea of him using that beautiful 3-liter for something along the lines of a "hemi under glass". More to follow there as well.

I'm hoping M4ff3w will get a chance to enjoy the car a bit before we ship it again (possibly in a few years). While he does, I'm going to start saving a few pennies for the next battle. It'll start with that Infiniti Box that Flight Service posted on page 11. He was right, I should have gone that route. Unfortunately budget limited me the first time around, but we're all caught up now. This'll make it so I dont have to flip through 20 wire diagrams to troubleshoot whatever's not working today, AND I'll get to clean up a LOT of, what I consider, redundant wiring. I mean, why a blinker needs to go through every relay on the damn fuse box is beyond me....

So yeah. The car's on a truck. (sings) "southbound and down. Loaded up and truckin...."

Good times.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/31/17 5:27 a.m.

Well, this whole thread is you doing "what they say can't be done", so that's about right. I've got about a week where I can help people on this end, so let me know.

Hungary Bill
5/31/17 10:08 p.m.

Will do man, thanks!

Hungary Bill
1/15/18 3:25 a.m.

Visited the Alfa back in September.  We got it started but it'd die instantly.  The alternator fan ate a wire and that's as far as we got.

Really I wanted to come here and post this so I didn't forget down the road:

The bolts are 5mm hex (internal wrenching), 260mm long, and 5.8mm diameter at the shaft.  Head is 10mm in diameter, and 3mm thick.

The goal, and I don't even know if it's going to be possible, is going to be to alleviate my throttle body issues a bit by hooking these GSXR-750 throttle bodies to the ends of the chrome runners on the Alfa 164 intake (3-liter throttle body points right at the firewall when swapped into this vehicle)

There are a lot of question marks since everything's kind of scrambled right now, but if these ITB's dont work out for whatever reason, I wont be out much and I'll still get to enjoy the car in its stock configuratoin.

(also, my e-mails to the guy who sells the parts to adapt the supercharger to the engine all go unanswered.  Apparently the last guy sold the business to a new guy...  we'll see what happens.  we have time)

Good times

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/16/18 1:02 a.m.

It's funny this thread pops back up today. (Yesterday? Or tomorrow in Kuwait?) 

I was down a YouTube rabbit hole watching people paint and started thinking about the way your sprayer nozzle would get all gummed up.

Spray guns have a 2 stage trigger, first stage blows air, second stage opens the paint valve. 

Were you completely releasing the trigger between passes? 

Typically, you keep the first stage engaged between passes only releasing entirely when you're done or repositioning. Doing otherwise can cause the problem you were having, especially with thicker paint and high flow rates. 

Hungary Bill
1/16/18 10:28 a.m.

iiiiiinteresting!

honestly, I dont remember.  I am the type that would stop pulling the trigger when I got the results I was looking for though.  Thinking about it, I could guarantee 3/4 to 7/8ths pull.  When I do it again though... devil

I will paint it again.  I took a lot of notes last time and know what I'd like to do different next time.  It's just a matter of keeping everything organized until the car and I are back together again cheeky

good times

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/16/18 2:04 p.m.

Yeah, it was a lightbulb moment I had while yelling at my TV. 

If you open both stages simultaneously the airflow doesn't have time to stabilize before the paint starts to dispense and tends to splatter. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/16/18 3:22 p.m.

I learned something new, thanks, Crackers!

Once we thaw out, I hope to get under the hood of the Alfa again and at least get that cable replaced and go from there.

Hungary Bill
2/19/18 4:21 a.m.

m4ff3w:  Your profile just doesnt look the same without the Maserati trident... laugh

So hair brained idea time (I get bored when I'm away from my car).  a search for: "Vintage Aluminum Tumblers"

And $18 will get you these:

I don't think these are going to make the final cut but they should suffice for a mock up.  Either way, I'm super surprised how well these would stinking work in a pinch.  I mean $18 and I could probably hose clamp them onto my throttle bodies and they'd be "good enough" (the inner dimension is stinking spot on!) surprise

Good times

Crackers
Crackers Dork
2/19/18 7:57 a.m.

I think the term you're looking for is "Proof of concept." laugh

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/31/18 6:24 a.m.

Just missing my car crying

From Mezzanine's X1/9 thread, some wiring info for reference when I get back at it:  http://www.bodenzord.com/archives/579

m4ff3w
10/9/20 12:16 p.m.

So Bill, The Most Amazing Guy I Know™ discovered that getting the Alfa back to Hungary wasn't the most sound financial decision and gifted the GTV6 to me, after some raceteam didn't want it.  Super lucky for me.

It's been sitting in the garage for a couple of years now and time has arrived to start working on her.  She won't be a 3.0l Beast, but hopefully will be a great car for my daughter to look SuperCool in.  She's excited to start working on it with me.

She needs a lot of things, but tires & clutch are the most glaring items.  

Early GTV6s used a dual plate clutch that is unobtanium.  I found one on eBay from a car with 8k miles and lots of friction material left.  It arrives next week.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/9/20 6:08 p.m.

These cars are on my radar, will eventually add one to the stable. Will be watching this and see where the adventure takes you.

m4ff3w
10/21/20 1:21 p.m.

Work keeps progressing, picked up new tires today.

1 ... 33 34 35

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
08rCheqAe0FNRbyBD3HMNgAT8fAWNkfciElChLrA1NAwiiVE4Msj4aE1t7W3jZdM