1 2 3
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/12/23 10:03 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Lol, I have zero track record to back that up. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/12/23 10:56 a.m.

Sure...I was exaggerating a wee bit.  But a turbo in the passenger floorboard is where I was going with that.  Something for which you do have a track record ;)

BTW...I think the stock engine is going to serve you just fine.  If it gets old (I mean...if driving a 60 HP vehicle gets old) or worn out, a Tracker engine is relatively simple.  A TDI would be cool too. I'll offer help with any of those.  Not so much V8 power.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/12/23 11:02 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Oh no, I have plenty of options in the fleet if I want to go fast. What I think I want from this on the road is to go fast enough to not die on the highway. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
1/29/23 4:28 p.m.

Stuff's happening in Illinois and I believe this sucker is headed home with SingleSlammer about now...

(Photo sent by SingleSlammer moments ago)

In gratuitous portrait orientation, no less.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/29/23 11:15 p.m.

Made it home just fine. Slid through a stop sign at one point due to icing. 

Plans for Barney (probably, as it makes more sense than Prince) are carb rebuild, either reinforce the shackles or replace with proper arced springs for a couple inch lift, clean the interior and fix the door handles. Drive it around. That's it for now. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/30/23 12:54 a.m.

Of note is the fact that BARNEY drove his happy little self up on that trailer.  No winch or pushing required.  

I break down, you tow me

I'm as Suzuki as can be

With a great big lift and a a pair of fresh knobbies

Won't you say you love your new Sammi?

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/30/23 9:54 a.m.
nocones said:

Of note is the fact that BARNEY drove his happy little self up on that trailer.  No winch or pushing required.  

I break down, you tow me

I'm as Suzuki as can be

With a great big lift and a a pair of fresh knobbies

Won't you say you love your new Sammi?

That is a VERY good point. I was really happy with how it sounded too. 

I need to look up the theme song so I can get the right tune to set the lymric to. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/23 10:15 a.m.

Do this. 

SPOA, 33" tires, 1.6 swap. It will run 55 or so on the interstate but you won't stop it off-road. 

IMG_20140530_161406_zpsijmf49s3(1).jpg

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
1/30/23 1:19 p.m.

This is my old Sammy, bough to $250 with a bad crank.  Autozone had a real cheap crank kit for it, that's all it needed.  Sold as seen here with full top for $1500.

In this configuration and with doors they have strange frequency cancelation harmonics.  If you go own hill in fifth gear at about 65-68 mph the whole truck goes silent, no exhaust, tire or wind noise to speak of.   It's real strange, then as you slow it all comes back.  The previous owner told me about it, sure enough it was true.

Trooper in front was a 5MT 1992.

Coder
Coder GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/30/23 3:50 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Sold as seen here with full top for $1500.

I would also like to buy this as seen here with full top for $1500.  Where do I insert money?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/30/23 5:09 p.m.
Coder said:
akylekoz said:

Sold as seen here with full top for $1500.

I would also like to buy this as seen here with full top for $1500.  Where do I insert money?

$1501!

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
1/31/23 6:37 a.m.

Sorry, sold as in sold a long time ago.  A slightly rusty but clean Sammy is worth way more than $1500 today.

Not hijacking a thread for a sale, if I had this for sale it would go in the proper place.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
1/31/23 10:31 p.m.

No worries!

Got it off the trailer yesterday by giving it a gentle push on the door frame and hoping in to apply the brakes. Which need attention... I was a tad worried about rolling into the fence but got it stopped.

The battery wouldn't hold a charge so that is getting replaced. Being an offroader, I didn't love the idea of standard battery and was looking at AGMs. Found a "large" motorcycle battery for 30% less than a standard battery so that's going in. I will have to change the terminal ends though.

I started to pull the carb off but it was too cold for the fuel lines to budge so that will have to wait a couple days. 

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
2/1/23 3:22 p.m.

following!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/1/23 3:29 p.m.

I got the carb pulled off for a rebuild today. I haven't done this in years but I suspect there are plenty of tutorials for a Weber 38/38

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
2/1/23 7:02 p.m.

Oh...that's fantastic that it has a Weber.  The original carb would have been wrapped in vacuum lines, lol.  

Might I also throw the name "Grimace" into the hat of contention?

This photo of Grimace & Ronald was created for the "Ronald McDonald and ...

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/1/23 7:03 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

And would have DEFINITELY be replaced. Perhaps with a Corolla 3k carb or a Harley CV. Both are well trod in the Samurai community. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/23 7:29 p.m.

The Weber is great for power and very reliable, only downsides of it are that it's relatively thirsty on gas and doesn't work that well at steep angles...The stock Aisin carb is unobtanium now but a pretty good all-rounder and won't starve for fuel before the truck flips. IMO the best carb for a Samurai is an SU HIF44, in terms of performance and efficiency it's somewhere between the Weber and Aisin, plus it will pretty much run upside-down. The Harley is the one-trick pony, tons of power but hates angles and makes gas disappear.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/1/23 8:53 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That's funny as I had seen lots a people reporting the Harley is good at angles. My end goal is a TBI style efi regardless. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/23 8:55 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

A 1.6 swap will give you EFI and a HP boost. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/3/23 2:19 p.m.

Well, I made a discovery today. The carb is actually a 32/36 DGEV172. That means the kit I have here isn't going to work. Crap

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/23 5:01 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Oh crap..  my bad.   It really looked like a 38.  I am ashamed. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/3/23 5:52 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Ha ha, no worries. The accelerator pump diaphragm from the 38 kit was the same and it has made it's maiden voyage around the yard. Exciting stuff!

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/6/23 9:23 a.m.

Progress report from the weekend. Did some more engine bay clean up. The engine starts up pretty easily at this point. I still plan to rebuild the carb at some point but that can wait. 

Got the seats attached. These are definitely not for this car. The passenger seat was close but it won't slide once I got it bolted down. May need to oval some holes for it to work correctly. The drivers seat required me to drill new holes for the inside rail. The outside holes were correct though. I am guessing that maybe these are from a Sidekick or something. I did have to strip the plastics off the outer edges of the seats to get enough clearance for the doors to close. I will get some pictures later. 

The brakes are BAD. I figured out that the passenger rear wheel cylinder is leaking and started taking it apart. It has not complied. Good thing is though if I have to ruin the drum getting it off, a new one is $30. All the parts should be here before next weekend. 

greasemonkeyreborne_5x1gs
greasemonkeyreborne_5x1gs New Reader
2/6/23 8:30 p.m.

Good for you!  A friend of mine had one of these in high school.  Was a blast to ride in.  Haven't seen one for years

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qKsFYVvliOPJCcvQlbhZifZS9Zr8D7wOQ7uiWFXdQiO8IiyIVTuYm0jR9DtFQe6e