1 2
Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/15/13 9:31 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: I'm still chuckling about an MR2 being in MR. Cool car, how long before we get onboards?

Yeah, so the passenger side if read literally does say MR8. (I'm a very advanced MR2...) Onboards? Like a ride-along or video clip?

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/16/13 1:13 a.m.

In reply to Jerry:

I'll ask him if you can get in touch with him.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/16/13 3:12 p.m.

Welcome! Looks like you are having fun so far!

Knurled wrote: If your car were mine, I'd leave it alone until the engine became an issue, then either put a 7A block with a 4A crank and long rods or 4A stroker crank and long rods under that head

FTFY.

I agree that are a few other areas to work on before worrying about the engine. I also agree that the appeal of a bit of a displacement bump and a little bit more stroke is good, but if you take the above approach with the right head work, the resulting engine can be high-revving and very impressive without the same wear issues you get with Atlantic parts, due a better rod-stroke ratio and less angular/side load on the rotating parts. Of course the long rods, headwork, and management to run it all aren't exactly cheap.

If you go the 7A-GE route, paying close attention to compression ratio, balancing, as well as proper timing (both different clocking of the mark on the crank pulley and adjustable cam gears) and ensuring the head matches the bottom end setup are keys to a good engine. Sadly there seem to be a handful of half-baked 7A-GE's attempted for every good one.

If you get tires, suspension, and driver all up to snuff and are at the point of wanting to squeeze more out of the 4A-GE, feel free to ask. The same holds true if you need a new engine (knocks on wood.) I have a little experience (and am just starting on an Atlantic-based 4A-GE build) and others on here (like Oldeskewltoy) are a fountain of 4A-GE knowledge.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
3/16/13 3:16 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Yeah, so the passenger side if read literally does say MR8. (I'm a very advanced MR2...) Onboards? Like a ride-along or video clip?

Yeah. The autoX and circuit racers put up their clips, why not the rallycrossers?

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
3/16/13 5:28 p.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado: http://www.youtube.com/user/jstem1994/videos?view=0&flow=grid

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/16/13 7:06 p.m.

In reply to cghstang:

Thanks for the help!

Jerry
Jerry Reader
3/16/13 7:10 p.m.
ae86andkp61 wrote: Welcome! Looks like you are having fun so far! If you get tires, suspension, and driver all up to snuff and are at the point of wanting to squeeze more out of the 4A-GE, feel free to ask.

Thanks! And so far 1) acquired real rally tires for this year, even if used, 2) suspension needs a bit I think & next on the list, and finally 3) I need much more practice & know it. I plan on as many ride-alongs with other RWD drivers as possible, and at least 1-2 other drivers to drive my car while I ride along myself and get schooled.

shoult
shoult
3/29/13 11:50 p.m.

You could always shove a 7AGZE in their or do a MK 1.5 tranplant. I love me some Mk1 MR2.

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
7/6/13 8:56 a.m.

Finally made it to an event this year that didn't get rained out, last weekend. The Plastidip held up pretty well, one little spot is coming loose and I think that was where the rim itself had some issues & I just painted right over.

And everyone loves the sound of the new exhaust...

Jerry
Jerry HalfDork
8/24/13 11:09 a.m.

More weight loss diet results. Today included headliner, visors, speakers and assorted plastic bits. That's everything but passenger seat, dash and doors.

And Ema loves "garage time".

I've love to ditch the power windows completely but I know I live in Ohio and want to drive it occasionally between Dec and Mar.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
8/24/13 2:20 p.m.
Jerry wrote: I've love to ditch the power windows completely but I know I live in Ohio and want to drive it occasionally between Dec and Mar.

source a set of hand wind up window regulators... or look to convert to a strap up window system using Lexan panels... that alone should save you over 30#s... and should allow for more or less "normal" window operation.....

Jerry
Jerry Dork
8/31/13 12:29 p.m.

Got me a trailer finally. $150 for everything and even delivered to my garage. That's service. although I didn't realize I needed a license for a trailer this small, so I need to look into that now. Ordered the hitch Friday at work, already shipped.

The pipe dream is the hitch shows up Wednesday, I manage to remove the rear bumper and install it, all without any problems. And I can get a plate before Friday, so I can use it for Saturday's rallycross. I give myself about a 50% chance of all that happening. (Guessing I can't even get the plate until I drag it to the BMV, which I can't until the hitch is installed?)

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
9/1/13 12:48 p.m.

Be sure to pick up a spare tire for the trailer.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/1/13 10:45 p.m.

If you can convert to the larger wheels, highly suggest it. I've heard from several guys I know with HF trailers have such a high RPM that they tend to burn out bearings really fast. I think you can just get a couple at HF and they should bolt right up with perhaps some fender adjustment.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/2/13 6:55 a.m.

In reply to irish44j:

That's the only thing the other trailer in MI had over this one. I only have 3 at the most events remaining this year it would be used (& that's if it's ready by the weekend). Maybe over the winter I'll convert.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
01vXpOWl45RWsQVYiBXz9KKczJIseVPzEFBknCV4iwLvJMK129YpNKkG2zxpFlip