1 2 3 4 5
dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/7/13 10:56 a.m.

Wow. Looks like you'll do okay on that car!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/13 12:19 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Woody wrote: Since I will not be racing it, and because it is presently the fourth car (carefully) parked in a three car garage, it will have to move on. Sadly, I have no place to keep the little gem for the long term. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Honda-Civic-CRX-Si-Very-good-condition-No-Modifications-/281048042536?_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true
Sure you don't want to sell the 911 instead? I mean, it IS a CRX, you know?

That's part of the problem, actually. The CRX is blocking the 911, preventing me from getting it out of the garage quickly, in case there's some kind of Porsche emergency that they need me to attend to on short notice.

coll9947
coll9947 Reader
1/7/13 5:01 p.m.

Just wanted to share in your pain about the climate control box. Mine was broken when I got my CRX, and my car had also had aftermarket A/C installed and subsequently a non-original box out of a sedan I believe.

I bit the bullet on a repaired unit on eBay and pro installation at a Honda-only shop in my area, as I have no viable work space in my current house. The "repaired" unit has already broken.

Several owners on CRX forums have successfully converted to other Honda climate boxes, I think 90-93 Accord is most popular. That will be my next adventure when funds and time become available.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
1/7/13 9:15 p.m.

You should put a note in your ebay listing; "hey, it's WOODY - I have 25+ guys that can vouch for my awesome mechanical skills and automotive coolness - you can't go wrong with this car".

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/13 7:18 a.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: You should put a note in your ebay listing; "hey, it's WOODY - I have 25+ guys that can vouch for my awesome mechanical skills and automotive coolness - you can't go wrong with this car".

I'll have to check to see if it's too late to edit the item description...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/13 7:45 a.m.

I feel like I'm in some kind of odd holding pattern with this car right now.

I've done all the work that I want to do to the car and I've made the decision to sell it. It's on eBay and has cleared its reserve, so it will sell on Sunday. I'm afraid to touch it at this point. I have the day off and want to turn some wrenches, but I don't have anything to work on or anyplace to put it if I did.

I'm getting fidgety...

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/9/13 10:18 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

If you want to turn wrenches, just swing by my place! I have a lot of things for you to do. You have your own helicopter, right?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/9/13 10:20 a.m.

BTW, congratulations on the car! I got mine for a dollar more than the $2999 it's at now, and while your's is nice, mines a lot nicer, so I think you'll get good money for it!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/13 11:06 a.m.

I'll give you $3001 for it. I need an ice racer...

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
1/9/13 11:32 a.m.
Woody wrote: I'll give you $3001 for it. I need an ice racer...

Funny guy, that Woody...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/9/13 11:58 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Woody: If you want to turn wrenches, just swing by my place! I have a lot of things for you to do. You have your own helicopter, right?

Not yet, but I've got a helicopter pilot who owes me a favor and, of course, I'm always keeping my eyes open for a good deal...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/13 8:23 p.m.

Heading into the home stretch. The auction has just about 24 hours left, in case you want to play along at home. All the cool kids are gonna be there...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-Honda-Civic-CRX-Si-Very-good-condition-No-Modifications-/281048042536?_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/13/13 6:51 a.m.

It's strange that the original bidder has placed the only 3 bids and keeps outbidding himself. He went from $2,500 to $2,800 to $2,999, without any outside bids in between. Possibly an inexperienced eBayer? If there were other bids along the way, I'd chalk it up to automatic bidding, but that doesn't seem to be the case...

Either way, it looks like you'll do very well on this one, and this thread is a textbook example of how to flip a car where both you and the buyer make out well in the deal. You get the cash, and they get a very solid car that needs nothing. You should write an article for the magazine, you definitely have a talent for this!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/13 7:29 a.m.

Thanks for the compliments.

I don't think this was an inexperienced bidder, and I'm pretty sure that I know exactly why he bid the way that he did. I'll share that after the auction ends. I will say that I don't expect him to be the winning bidder, though.

And...it looks like you and I are neighbors.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/14/13 8:57 p.m.

Tell the story after you collect the cash.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/15/13 12:01 p.m.

He was hunting for the reserve price.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/15/13 12:05 p.m.

I just ran into this bidding on another car on Ebay.

You can set your max bid higher than current bid. If someone else bids in the meantime, bids higher than the current, but lower than your max, then YOUR bid gets bumped. You already bid higher than that, Ebay will not show the other person's bid, because it wasn't really valid.

That's all that happened here. He bid $2500, with a max bid of $3000 or something. Joe Schmoe bid $2800, homeboy already had it set. Ergo, shows up as another bid by homeboy for $2800.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/15/13 12:16 p.m.

Nice haul BTW. Good money for a good car, and a nice price for the new owner, winners all around...

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/15/13 12:21 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I just ran into this bidding on another car on Ebay. You can set your max bid higher than current bid. If someone else bids in the meantime, bids higher than the current, but lower than your max, then YOUR bid gets bumped. You already bid higher than that, Ebay will not show the other person's bid, because it wasn't really valid. That's all that happened here. He bid $2500, with a max bid of $3000 or something. Joe Schmoe bid $2800, homeboy already had it set. Ergo, shows up as another bid by homeboy for $2800.

Nope, he bid three times with no other bidders and each time the "current bid" went up. I think the reserve was $2999 and he was hunting for it. Look at the time stamps on his first three bids.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/15/13 12:29 p.m.
dculberson wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I just ran into this bidding on another car on Ebay. You can set your max bid higher than current bid. If someone else bids in the meantime, bids higher than the current, but lower than your max, then YOUR bid gets bumped. You already bid higher than that, Ebay will not show the other person's bid, because it wasn't really valid. That's all that happened here. He bid $2500, with a max bid of $3000 or something. Joe Schmoe bid $2800, homeboy already had it set. Ergo, shows up as another bid by homeboy for $2800.
Nope, he bid three times with no other bidders and each time the "current bid" went up. I think the reserve was $2999 and he was hunting for it. Look at the time stamps on his first three bids.

Give this a gander:

http://offer.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=281048042536&showauto=true

Mine looked similar to this, but not so quick between time stamps i suppose.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/15/13 12:36 p.m.

Right, notice the first bidder's bids are all within just a couple minutes of each other. Nobody else had bid, and at that time the "current bid," as in the price it was going for, increased to $2999. So he was the only bidder but the current bid jumped from $2013 (the opening bid) to $2999 (the reserve). His actual bid was $3000 so the "current bid" didn't go up to $3000 until someone else bid.

It's not obvious now that the auction is over, but for a while it was sitting at $2999 with no bidders but "n***n." He didn't exactly "bid against himself," though - he bid against the reserve.

(And it's really not good bidding strategy. If you plan to win, only bid in the last seconds of an auction or use an automated sniping tool. Bidding early just chums the waters. Good for the seller, bad for you, the buyer.)

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/13 12:44 p.m.

Was there a reserve?

I didn't think you could increase your bid without someone else bidding. The only way your bid will go up is because someone bids lower than your max bid, then it bumps it up to whatever they bid but you are still the high bidder.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/15/13 12:54 p.m.

There was a reserve, that's not obvious once the auction ends. And you can increase your bid if there is a reserve - a reserve is actually a "reserve bid," it acts just like someone else bid that amount.

ie. the reserve is $2999, starting bid $2013, you bid $2500 and the bid stays at $2013, "reserve not met." Then you bid $2800, the bid will stay at $2013, "reserve not met." Then you bid $3000, the bid will go to $2999, "reserve met."

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/15/13 1:08 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Right, notice the first bidder's bids are all within just a couple minutes of each other. Nobody else had bid, and at that time the "current bid," as in the price it was going for, increased to $2999. So he was the only bidder but the current bid jumped from $2013 (the opening bid) to $2999 (the reserve). His actual bid was $3000 so the "current bid" didn't go up to $3000 until someone else bid. It's not obvious now that the auction is over, but for a while it was sitting at $2999 with no bidders but "n***n." He didn't exactly "bid against himself," though - he bid against the reserve. (And it's really not good bidding strategy. If you plan to win, only bid in the last seconds of an auction or use an automated sniping tool. Bidding early just chums the waters. Good for the seller, bad for you, the buyer.)

Second guy bid to $2550 in the middle of it all, which is all that's confusing me. Automatic bid, in this case.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
1/15/13 1:30 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Second guy bid to $2550 in the middle of it all, which is all that's confusing me. Automatic bid, in this case.

Look at the date stamp on the $2550 bid, it was 01/13 at 16:48, so was 6 days after the "n***n" bidder placed his three bids. It shows in the middle due to the amount. I'm not sure why the system even let him place that bid.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iqCV4cCGslFR5jJHyDsG4VWXmi1DN4meXgqxshCVTzWvo6pmUzMBwNnNPjK6UGiW