1 2
midniteson
midniteson New Reader
1/3/13 8:07 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

thanks for the reccomendation man. So from what i can find, the coilovers for an st185 should bolt up just fine in the rear, but the front may need some spacers,or shims, that are not so readily available.

Im kinda confused some people say theyve bolted up a st185 coilover set up in the front of a st165 with no mods, some say they need a spacer. still trying to figure out what mods if any would be needed to get them to fit the front.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/3/13 8:41 p.m.

There was a vendor that used to sell the setups ready to go for st165. They might still be around. I'll look around tomorrow for you. :)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/4/13 9:24 a.m.

Oh right... that was 935Motorsports owned by Robert Pina, who used to own AllTrac.net...

Then he ripped off pretty much everybody and disappeared.

I'd suggest making a thread on alltrac.net and asking them exactly what the spacers were. If you can get the dimensions and stuff, i might even be able to have a set made for you at the machine shop for like... $20.

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
1/5/13 1:59 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One: I will thanks man, ill let you know what i find out. I just got this bad boy in the mail today

I will get it installed when its not below freezing out, This piece should help keep the temps down when i take it out on track days I'm stoked! one big step closer to the road

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/7/13 7:21 p.m.

Nice car! I owned a 91 GVR4 for about 6 years and these kinds of rare Japanese turbo cars present all sorts of challenges but the rewards are there too. Good luck with it!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/8/13 11:45 a.m.

Sweet ride! I notice this doesn't come with an intercooler from the factory, adding one in would give you cheap power and a longer-lasting engine.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/8/13 11:51 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Sweet ride! I notice this doesn't come with an intercooler from the factory, adding one in would give you cheap power and a longer-lasting engine.

All 3sgte powered cars come with an intercooler from factory. The ST165 was water-to-air. ST185 was air-to-air, except for the RC, which was water-to-air. ST205 was water-to-air. Caldinas are air-to-air, all mr2 turbos are air-to-air.

gamby
gamby PowerDork
2/11/13 12:28 a.m.

Awesome rare bird. Wild to see one in any condition these days.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
2/11/13 2:08 p.m.

This sounds kind of dumb, but I have always wanted an all-wheel-drive turbo Celica ever since playing Gran Turismo 2, since the first car I had in that game was a Celica GT-Four.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
2/11/13 9:24 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: This sounds kind of dumb, but I have always wanted an all-wheel-drive turbo Celica ever since playing *Gran Turismo 2*, since the first car I had in that game was a Celica GT-Four.

I went the all wheel drive turbo route as well - in a legacy wagon. Good ol' grand turismo.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/12/13 9:12 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Sweet ride! I notice this doesn't come with an intercooler from the factory, adding one in would give you cheap power and a longer-lasting engine.
All 3sgte powered cars come with an intercooler from factory. The ST165 was water-to-air. ST185 was air-to-air, except for the RC, which was water-to-air. ST205 was water-to-air. Caldinas are air-to-air, all mr2 turbos are air-to-air.

Oh from the pics it looked like the turbo was feeding straight into some kind of airbox...I guess that's the water-to-air intercooler.

84FSP
84FSP New Reader
2/13/13 9:55 p.m.

Wow!

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
7/14/13 6:32 p.m.

Got around to wrenching on this car this week, got it started but it refuses to rev past 1500rpm it stumbles and dies.

I Had a buddy spray carb cleaner in the intake and the motor revved to the redline. I'm gonna swap the fuel filter first and go from there, also the tach stopped working, got figure that out too, but I'm close to getting it on the road again

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
7/15/13 11:07 a.m.

this is a sweet build. . . cant remember the last time I saw one cruising around. atleast not a turbo awd version. my wife had a gt for a short time till she got rear-ended and pushed into the car infront of her

keep this one alive for the alltrac turbos that are no longer with us!

midniteson
midniteson Reader
12/5/13 4:03 a.m.

Finally got around to getting the car towed into my buddies shop. Fuel Filter was not clogged so im gonna drop the tank and swap out the fuel pump. The saga continues.

[URL=http://s890.photobucket.com/user/Celica165/media/IMAG0130_zps8acfe90f.jpg.html][/URL]

A bit of good news, no hidden rust a major problem with these cars.

[URL=http://s890.photobucket.com/user/Celica165/media/IMAG0132_zpsbfcc9ed4.jpg.html][/URL]

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
12/5/13 10:10 a.m.

Glad to hear its still an active project! I love the quirky stuff that came out of the 80s!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/13 10:28 a.m.

before you drop the tank and everything, why not throw a pressure guage inline?

I would think that even a failing fuel pump would supply enough fuel to rev under no load.

Is there a chance that some sensor controls the fuel injectors AND the tach signal? Like maybe a crank or cam position sensor?

Rob R.

carbon
carbon Reader
12/5/13 9:39 p.m.

st165s are the bawlz. I'm quite jealous.

OMGWTFBBQ
OMGWTFBBQ New Reader
12/11/13 8:03 p.m.

Has the AFM ever been tampered with? If it won't rev past 1500ish RPMS still, that's probably your best bet. Not necessarily that it's ever been messed with, but it might have simply taken a dump. Are there any other 165's in your area that you can swap it out real quick for a test?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bt5dnl9JFrLwhx02rXAtcGDngbq7NrbEsl6AL1sdznhlaTrycOrgq9y7w5YXNqCF