1 ... 3 4 5 6
Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
11/16/19 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

These have that recess but not where I needed them. Directions said to put the mounts on the forward most holes to put the engine in the same place as the small block. Those bumps of course don't fit in the recess at that point.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
11/17/19 3:32 p.m.

It's easier to be ok with making tiny bits of progress on a project when you're bolting stuff together. Rocker arms are set and valve covers are on. I'm officially to the point where the paths to moving forward are as follows:

• Climb under the car and drill out a rounded off transmission crossmember bolt
  • Extract broken exhaust manifold bolts from the heads
  • Fix the stripped threads on the motor mount adapter plate

I decided I wasn't that motivated today so I went back in the house.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/18/19 12:26 p.m.

Thanks to Curtis I get to learn how to do a cam swap. Well before I knew for sure I was doing an LS project he offered up an LQ9 for the cost of shipping. I did some googling and deemed it worth it for $20 so I paid him and well it took a bit longer than expected but it's here now.

Screenshot from the HRM article that made me decide to go ahead and do the cam swap.

Not a huge improvement but I think it'll be worth it.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/19 2:27 p.m.

On LS cam swaps:  The issue is the whole "rotate the engine several times with the rockers off and the lifters stay neatly up in their trays" is a wonderful thing when new but in my experience not all the lifters want to be retained in the trays once the plastic trays get some miles of being worn against a metal lifter.  So cam swaps can become heads off ordeals.  

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/18/19 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

The more I think about it the more I want to pull the lifters out and check them anyway. Considering the engine still isn't in the car yet I might just do something the right way for the first time in my life.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/19 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Look at your signature.  Hit the easy button and drop it in and make it run.  If there's no reason it's given you to pull it apart, don't.  

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
12/18/19 3:42 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Fair point. It'll be Friday before I have time to touch it so I'll think about it more.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/18/20 12:53 a.m.

So I have been doing research, gathering info and parts and doing minor nitpick things on the car not worth taking pictures of. But earlier tonight Spacecadet shared with me a video that was a wonderful waste of an hour. Coverage of the 1989 One Lap of America.

Among the cars on One Lap that year was this majestic beast.

Buick Electra Wagon with a GNX spec turbo 3.8 V6. Unfortunately brief googles haven't turned up any info or pictures on this car outside of this video so all you get is screen caps I cut together. I am definitely interested in copying that light arrangement on Humphrey. 

I hope to have better news for you guys by the time the weekend is over but as usual I make no promises. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/29/20 1:25 p.m.

So I never came back with news. Well here is news. I had decided to ignore the cam swap and just jam it in the car that weekend. I just had to cut a rounded bolt out of the trans cross member and then take car of 2 broken exhaust manifold bolts. In the process to drilling out one of the bolts, I got sloppy and broke into a water jacket. This brought the whole procedure to a grinding halt. Replacement heads have been sourced already, but more on that later. 

The news is that a distraction from this project has come up that I think is actually a smart move. I don't want to fully announce it with a new build thread yet because last time I did that I had to cancel a trip to go get a free DSM because I crashed my mom's Honda. To avoid such bad juju I'm not posting that thread announcing what it is until I'm with the car. I will say that I'm planning my first fly and drive trip and I'm quite excited. 

Also, Spacecadet and Mazdeuce are extremely effective enablers. Now you guys get to wait for a few weeks for more word on that. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/30/20 6:50 a.m.

Are you buying Hazmat perhaps ?

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/30/20 7:52 a.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

Not quite. I offered him the Saturn and half a pack of gum as a trade but he said no. Not sure what's wrong with him. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/20 8:28 a.m.

yeah, no. I'm going to get hazmat in a few weeks to bring it back up to DFW.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/30/20 8:28 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

You were trying to overpay. If it had been the Saturn and a single stick of gum that might be more in line.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
1/30/20 8:37 a.m.

Ok I'll drop another hint. Exactly one picture of this car has been posted on the forum.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
3/28/20 7:55 p.m.

Great news everyone. I actually touched this project with tools today. The engine now has an LQ9 cam inside of it and 806 LS1 heads on top of it. Going to finish buttoning it up tomorrow.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/28/20 9:44 p.m.

Looking forward to seeing more.  A B-body with an LS-based engine is something that I bench-build in my mind often.

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
3/29/20 5:47 p.m.

Calling it a day here.

About as far as I can get until more parts get here. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
3/29/20 10:08 p.m.

Looking good! This thread is making me rethink my decision to  leave my wagon stock :)

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/6/20 5:54 p.m.

Finally starting to look like I'm doing something.

8/12/20 4:05 p.m.

I have a lot going on in my life right now and my goals for what I want from a car have changed at the same time. If anybody here wants this one, you can have the same deal I got. I keep my engine and gauges. The rest is $400. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/20 4:35 p.m.

IE Daylan bought a miata and now knows why it's the answer 

8/12/20 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

You're not wrong...

Also I kind of remembered the only car I own with good paint exists...

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/12/20 5:02 p.m.

Build the gta.  Bring me the wheels though.

8/12/20 5:05 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

Only if you find me some nice 17x9.5s that fit. We can do an even trade then. Otherwise I found out Kumho PA31s come in the GTA's stock size. So the wheels go back on the car.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/12/20 10:49 p.m.

Dammit.....I have wanted a Caprice wagon.......

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rBLqY2YV46FBgeXGrVxwk0WS29bHe2wyPt72jx82EYGOQ4ekOCdEVxSobk9aOPGo