1 2 3 ... 49
KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
11/5/13 4:46 p.m.

By popular request here is the thread.

This is my 1990 (or so) Troyer modified that I race in the New England Hillclimb Series.

I've had some success with it. I've won the overall championship in 2011 and 2014. And placed 2nd overall a couple times.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
11/5/13 4:49 p.m.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/5/13 4:53 p.m.

And one of mt sons favorite cars. Hi Kevin!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/5/13 4:54 p.m.

What did you have to do to change the setup from roundy-round to hillclimb?

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
11/5/13 4:55 p.m.

OK, I'll bite.

What's the specs on it? You don't have to give out any secrets. What engine, transmission, etc are you running? How did you get it to go from Left turn only to an actual handling car? I see these things and they're usually pretty inexpensive (compared to most) and I keep wondering what's all involved in getting one of these things on the track.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
11/5/13 4:55 p.m.

More photos

KevinGale
KevinGale New Reader
11/5/13 4:58 p.m.

In reply to Conquest351:

In some ways very little was changed. It is still using all the stock suspension mounting points. I am using softer springs and I moved the fuel cell and battery to the right side of the car to balance out weight a bit. It is still left side heavy but that doesn't seem to bother much.

I'm running a Chevy smallblock. 381.5 cubic inches. 3.5 stroke 4.186 bore. So big bore and about a stock stroke. It's a solid roller cam and the whole more is setup for low end power or what most people would call torque.

Conquest351
Conquest351 UltraDork
11/5/13 5:02 p.m.

In reply to KevinGale:

That's very awesome man. I was reading on your Hillclimb.org about the different differentials you guys are using. I'm guessing yours is an LSD? Would someone benefit more from using an LSx engine and removing a bit of weight from the front end of that thing or is she pretty neutral handling with those huge rollers on there?

KevinGale
KevinGale New Reader
11/5/13 5:09 p.m.

Yes it has a LSD, Gear type.

It's pretty neutral handling.

KevinGale
KevinGale New Reader
11/5/13 5:11 p.m.

The transmission is a Muncie out of a 69 Camaro. The main idea with the motor was to avoid shifting. The motor makes about 500 hp and about 500 ft/lbs of torque. 400 ft/lbs are available from about 2300 rpm up.

So for example as Ascutney I ran the long course and won the event with only two shifts. I launch in 1st, shift to 2nd and then 3rd before the first corner and I don't shift again for the entire hill.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
11/5/13 5:35 p.m.

In reply to KevinGale:

That image is from this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

That picture made me have to have a cleanup on isle my pants.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/5/13 5:36 p.m.

In reply to KevinGale:

Quite the contrary. Moparman is touching himself to your photos! The car looks awesome!

KevinGale
KevinGale New Reader
11/5/13 5:40 p.m.

In reply to Lof8:

Lol , I totally didn't get that reference.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
11/5/13 5:45 p.m.
Conquest351 wrote: Would someone benefit more from using an LSx engine and removing a bit of weight from the front end of that thing.

The motor sits way back in these things. The car is actually 55% rear heavy. I originally had an aluminum block that would have taken 90 lbs out of the front to make it even more rear heavy but I had problems with that block and had to replace it with a Dart SHP iron block.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
11/5/13 6:39 p.m.

Here is in car video from Mt Ascutney. This time we were running the long course which is the full length of the mountain road. The normal course is about a mile shorter. We don't run the long course very often because it is more work to setup and staff with workers. We also generally get fewer runs on the long course but all the racers love it when we can do it. The top part is really fun in a car with some power. I liked this event for another reason I won. https://www.youtube.com/embed/He0l5eaxD5g

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Dork
11/5/13 6:50 p.m.

In reply to Lof8:

Well when you put it that way, it sounds kinda.... well, creepy.

KevinGale
KevinGale Reader
11/5/13 6:50 p.m.

And one of my favorites a start at Okemo.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/N7969LV_2ZE

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/5/13 6:52 p.m.

Pardon the ignorance, but why does it howl like that?

KevinGale
KevinGale New Reader
11/5/13 6:54 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Pardon the ignorance, but why does it howl like that?

Most of the noise you hear is from the quick change rear end. The motor also has timing gears instead of a belt or chain so you also get some gear noise there. So it's lots of gear noise.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
11/5/13 7:34 p.m.

Seen that car at Okemo. I sounds great, and left quite an impression on my "not really into racing" FIL. It was great to look at and it seems like such a logical setup.

Post more pictures, and educate us on those cars. I don't know much about them, and I'm sure I'm not alone here.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
11/5/13 7:41 p.m.

Welcome Kevin, Grew up watching the modifieds as a kid. Maynard Troyer is a legend of chassis design "Ride the Lightning"

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/5/13 7:53 p.m.

I'm guessing that a key to being a good hillclimber is having the entire course memorized - yes?

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
11/5/13 8:04 p.m.

In reply to Lof8: Sure helps. Most of our veterans say it takes 20 runs before you start to understand the hill.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/5/13 8:17 p.m.

I envy your car.

KevinGale
KevinGale New Reader
11/5/13 10:46 p.m.

In reply to Lof8:

Yeah knowing the course is major plus. But nothing really surprising there. It's just so much easier to go fast when you know exactly what is around the corner.. The good news is over a weekend we often get several runs up the course.

Personally I start getting really comfortable with a course when I can close my eyes and drive the whole course in my head. I can do that at Burke and Okemo but not quite at Ascutney and Philo. I know Ascutney and Philo pretty well but there is still room for improvement.

1 2 3 ... 49

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wbfNn2BDsCllkUXFLNrBo7m4UZyNDXxxDwJSorJAXuT2Q2HSdvHVw3DWGzvDvelX