1 2 3
JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/22/12 11:05 p.m.

Left NJ at 7 Thursday, stopped by Paul's (SVReX) house in GA 16 hours later, back home again...tired.

Seems I just want to take all of Paul's cars and this one I've been thinking about for about 6 years.

It's good to have my baby home again, looks good next to the Wartburg.

Details to come, I need sleep.

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
6/22/12 11:12 p.m.

ooohhh....

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
6/22/12 11:27 p.m.

Man, those flares look pretty serious.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic New Reader
6/23/12 3:33 a.m.

ETA on rear suspension teardown?

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/23/12 9:47 a.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: Man, those flares look pretty serious.

They are :) The car will be running 205s but can take up to a 225 width tire with these flares. Sadly finding those sizes in 13inch is getting harder

Kenny_McCormic wrote: ETA on rear suspension teardown?

It's my #1 priority so I can get you the struts, but I need some rest and family time after this trip. It's already on the lift now so if I can find a free night I should have them off in a week or 2.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/23/12 12:13 p.m.

So, a little more on the plans. For quite some time the folks of the Lemons racing community have been pressing me and Speedycop to do a joint project. Speedy builds some crazy stuff and he can really drive. Unfortunately his crazy stuff rarely holds together long enough to take a win.

So we got to talking, I love the build but I dont drive, he'd like to drive something that was well sorted but still crazy. We've gone back and forth for awhile then finally he said to me "I'd like a car that can win the IOE (easy enough) and still be good enough to have a shot at a class or overall win" Challenge extended....and since I didn't quite bite at it just yet he threw in the coup de grace, "and I want it to be a Yugo" Challenge accepted.

Yugo's are getting thin on the ground these days, and completely starting from scratch again would be a long effort. Paul (SVReX) and I have talked many times about me taking the Yugo back so calls were made, emails exchanged and a deal was struck. The YFH was coming home.

I started collecting parts for phase 2....I should have checked with Paul because it turns out he had done alot of the things I had planned to do and bought parts for. I did get a few other bits that are going to be needed though. The suspension was pretty well sorted on the car and I have just a few tweaks to make in that area. I am going to do some engine development although to what extent I'm not entirely sure yet. And there will be much greater weight reduction than it has now, which is no small task since the car is pretty gutted to start with, but I think there's about 200lbs left in there to come out.

The goal is Lemons at NJMP next spring and then to bring her back to GRM in the fall of 2013. Although the car was pretty well developed there's still a lot to do...I'll update as it progresses.

Some more pics

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
6/23/12 2:44 p.m.

I remember this car when it was blue, un-flared and painted to match the S-10 tow vehicle. Good luck with the build.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/23/12 5:21 p.m.

the possibilities excite me.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/23/12 7:10 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: I remember this car when it was blue, un-flared and painted to match the S-10 tow vehicle. Good luck with the build.

ahhh, memories

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/23/12 7:12 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: the possibilities excite me.

Well, not for the build I'm about to do but if you happen to come across an Alfa 164L with a good drivetrain, body unimportant, for cheap I'll be interested eventually

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic New Reader
6/24/12 1:03 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: ETA on rear suspension teardown?
It's my #1 priority so I can get you the struts, but I need some rest and family time after this trip. It's already on the lift now so if I can find a free night I should have them off in a week or 2.

I have 2 weeks worth of rust repair, engine, and drive line work ahead of me anyways. I only have to ask because the car is taking up the only working space in the driveway, on jack stands, and my parents are starting to complain. They want to use the space to rebuild an 80s Trailmanor hardshell pop up camper, nowhere near as cool as what might be the last DDed Yugo in the USA, but it's their driveway.

failboat
failboat Dork
6/24/12 5:20 a.m.

Awwwwwww yeaaaaaa

Luke
Luke UberDork
6/24/12 7:03 a.m.
JThw8 wrote:
Well, not for the build I'm about to do but if you happen to come across an Alfa 164L with a good drivetrain, body unimportant, for cheap I'll be interested eventually

'Sif not put Alfa V6 in middle of Yugo!

The YFH is a bit before my time with GRM. Just how extensively modified is it?

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/24/12 9:09 a.m.
Luke wrote: 'Sif not put Alfa V6 in middle of Yugo! The YFH is a bit before my time with GRM. Just how extensively modified is it?

This is what little of a build diary I maintained when I first built her. It doesnt cover everything and it doesnt cover the things Paul did when he took over the car.

http://misfittoysracing.com/Yugo/

Most of the work was in the suspension, nothing exotic just lowering and an added rear swaybar.

Obviously the fenders were flared to get big tires under it. The whole car is gutted.

Running a stock 1300cc Yugo EFI motor with a bit more open exhaust and fabbed up CAI. Hand fabbed strut braces.

Paul added a nice long tube header an extra spring in the rear transverse leaf (2 things which were at the top of my list to do so that saves some frustration and time) I'm sure he can chime in with other mods he has made as well.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/24/12 9:10 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: the last DDed Yugo in the USA, but it's their driveway.

I'm eyeballing a cheap GVX I just came across to make into a possible DD/winter beater. But there are very few left being DD'd that's for sure.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/24/12 2:46 p.m.

OK...I am definitely going to be watching this. are any further body mods in the plans? I'd love some subtle grill treatment....

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
6/24/12 8:34 p.m.
JThw8 wrote:

An Alfa 164L you say? near New Jersey?

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3064019726.html

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/24/12 8:41 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: OK...I am definitely going to be watching this. are any further body mods in the plans? I'd love some subtle grill treatment....

There's a few body mods planned but most of them won't be very noticeable. I'm really tempted to redo the rear flares and bring them up to the b-pillar, it's always bothered me they way they end in the middle of the fender.

Nitroracer wrote: An Alfa 164L you say? near New Jersey? http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3064019726.html

Tempting but the timing is wrong, it has to run Lemons next year with the current drivetrain (trying to avoid x-class) And Im currently broke. Now if it was $500......

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/12 9:00 p.m.

How crazy do you want to get with the suspension? I still have a few sets of einbach springs laying around, not to mention a full set of sportline springs for a mk2 gti around. Getting very few bites on the challenge car, so I may be parting the spares soon.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/24/12 9:14 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: How crazy do you want to get with the suspension? I still have a few sets of einbach springs laying around, not to mention a full set of sportline springs for a mk2 gti around. Getting very few bites on the challenge car, so I may be parting the spares soon.

The suspension is fairly well sorted on the car already. The rear is a transverse leaf setup and SVReX already had an additional leaf added which is the best route to go short of a full custom coil over setup.

The front is mac strut currently using X1/9 Struts and springs but its going back to Yugo bits. If you can give me some details on the springs I may need to play around with some spring rates up front so if I can make them work with the struts I have then that may be a plan.

I guess I can let out the other part of the suspension plan because it makes me so excited. The car rides on KYB GR-2 struts all around, and they were hard as hell to find, beyond that its plain jane monroes...ick. Even after I sold the car to Paul I kept searching for the holy grail and as if the universe wanted me to build this car again a week after I decided to buy the car back I had scored my new suspension...cheap even. A full set of Koni reds for a Yugo....

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/24/12 11:17 p.m.

It was fun while it lasted, but it feels right to see her home again.

All is once again well in the Yugo world.

Jim, I had more fun with that car than perhaps any other car I've ever had, mostly because of your efforts. Will never forget seeing my daughter getting out if it shaking from head to toe she was so over-pumped with adrenaline. Great, great times.

I wish I could have given her back to you in better shape, but I am happy she's with you, because I am pretty sure you are the only person who can sort her out properly and do her the justice she deserves.

I'll look forward to the updates, coming to Lemons, and seeing her return to the Challenge for the win that can actually be had by a Yugo!

Thanks for the memories!! Enjoy!!

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
6/25/12 8:10 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

PM sent.

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/25/12 6:51 p.m.
SVreX wrote: I wish I could have given her back to you in better shape, but I am happy she's with you, because I am pretty sure you are the only person who can sort her out properly and do her the justice she deserves.

Don't stress it one bit, the things that are "wrong" are things I wanted to change anyway and the fact that you made many of the upgrades I had planned on any way balances out the work I have to do :)

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
6/25/12 7:34 p.m.

makin me want yugos again...thought i had that out of my system

JThw8
JThw8 UberDork
6/25/12 7:41 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: makin me want yugos again...thought i had that out of my system

There's a running driving GVX here in NJ for $750....please buy it before I do. I'm tempted to register it and use it as a street based test bed for the things going into the YFH

http://cnj.craigslist.org/pts/2995503429.html

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pepKBQX0RWyspTXP32VUx91q6XP0f6yIDMPnMLl0ryjOLxGWpYJRGty1F0D7eTR9