1 2 3
Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/7/16 7:10 a.m.

Didn't want to start this thread until I had the engine mounted, but decided it made since to go ahead and put this thread here so I can ask silly TBI questions.

But yeah, that thing, with the BMW wheels and the stripes that probably should have been left in the 90s.

The Plan:

• El Cheapo TBI 350 swapped daily driver.

Parts list:

• Left over 350 from my abandoned Firebird.

• Canton oil pan for 2 piece rear main SBC in a 4wd S10 (the price I paid for this thing really makes me think I need to learn to weld)

• S10V8.com 4wd SBC conversion mounts

• stock replacement rubber 4wd 2.8 S10 frame mounts.

• Buick Roadmaster 5.7 TBI unit

• air cleaner from the Roadmaster because I thought it might look cool, I'm probably wrong.

• distributor pulled from an '88 C1500 305.

• the stock Oldsmobile 15x7 wheels with normal sized tires on them, because those BMW wheels don't actually fit, and at least 2 of them are bent.

• Exhaust manifolds that were on the 350. I have no idea what they're from but they look pretty much identical to the 4.3 manifolds with an extra tube on the front, so I have reason to believe they'll fit.

Where I left the other thread that ended up being about this was realizing the ECU I got might not work, and I need to get the numbers off the Bravada's ECU to figure out which one I actually need.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/7/16 7:22 a.m.

Yes you do. Then I can check my stash....

Oh, and we need more pictures.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/7/16 7:25 a.m.

Not start until the engine is mounted? What? You should start build threads before you even get the car home.

Seriously though, I can't tell you how many times I've documented something on here only to have one of you guys casually save me a ton of time and headache because you know a better way.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/7/16 7:28 a.m.

Here's what it looked like before I took the running boards off and wrecked it in the snow.

Here's what it looked like right after I did.

Normal tires/wheels on it in the sunlight.

"the old"

I think I've got pictures of the surprisingly clean black leather interior on my phone, I'll probably upload those later.

EDIT: This thing has iirc 74k miles on it. Not sure if I ever mentioned that. My grandfather bought it honestly thinking it would become a collector item and he'd make money on it later. So he stored it in his shop and rarely ever drove it.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/7/16 7:40 a.m.

For real though, does anybody know where the ECU should be on this thing before I start haphazardly removing parts of the dashboard?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/7/16 7:58 a.m.

remove glovebox door. remove inner liner to get at the stuff behind it. ecm is right there on top of the hvac. only need a phillips and 7mm and 10mm.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/7/16 2:32 p.m.

Thanks, I just got home from work, I'm going to change, get something to eat, and go after that right after.

Also, I found a really good source of bad ideas last night.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/7/16 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Service #: 1228062

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/7/16 5:03 p.m.

Also found those pics on my phone.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/8/16 1:25 p.m.

Isn't this box-Bravada what has the right awd trans to build-your-own-Typhoon/Syclone?

I think you want a turbo Buick engine rather than a 350.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/8/16 1:59 p.m.

Mk2 of this evolution might be a Turbo 3800 S10, but I feel like I've gone too far down the SBC path already on this one. And yes this one does have the same BW4472 transfer case as the Syclone/Typhoon/Astro.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/16 3:26 p.m.

I thought the Syclone had a turbo 4.3, not a Buick 6.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/8/16 3:44 p.m.
Wall-e wrote: I thought the Syclone had a turbo 4.3, not a Buick 6.

Could be. I guessed that it was Grand National engine.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/8/16 3:56 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

It did, but I like the 3800 more than the 4.3. And it still fits if you try hard enough.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/16 4:05 p.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

I'm pretty sure they have different transmission bolt patterns.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/8/16 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Wall-e:

I'm aware of this, part of why mine is getting a 350 is because the 4.3 trans bolts up.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/8/16 7:45 p.m.

Just finished the 350 tbi into my 92 safari rwd. Get a 350 distributor. Make sure all electronics are from a 350 and not a 305. Ask me how I know!
See my build thread for Jean Clyde Damn Van.

Patgizz is a good source for information as well.

Is the 350 stock or cammed? Be careful if upgrading. Tbi does not like a lot of over lap and the stock computer can't adjust the fuel trim quick enough.

When you pull the computer you should be able to remove the chip and replace with 350 chip from the v8 donor. Lots of good info on the web. Just gotta sort through the know it alls.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/13/16 6:38 p.m.

So while looking at the 350 I noticed the oil filter, which reminded me of something. The Bravada's 4.3 has a remote mounted oil filter. This is because the oil filter mounted on the normal position on the 4.3s block sort of wants to be where the front driveshaft is. Now the oil filter is in pretty much the same place on the 350. originally I just assumed the 4.3 filter adapter would fit on the 350. But after some reading, it looks like it probably won't fit. Something about GM being weird and trying to use metric in the early 90s. I'm still going to try it but it looks like I get to add oil filter relocation kit to my shopping list.

Regarding the state of the 350. I have no idea what cam is in it. I know it was swapped into an '86 Firebird in it's last life but is definitely an older engine. Evidence seems to suggest it's been torn down and rebuilt at least once. That ID number in front of the right head is missing which makes me think the block has been decked.

Really I'm thinking of getting it running with this engine, then building a "good" engine for it later.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/23/16 8:55 p.m.

So I popped the old oil pan off of the 350.

That's not supposed to happen is it?

Acme Lab Rat
Acme Lab Rat Reader
10/24/16 8:12 a.m.

I'm still stuck on the fact that someone put BMW bottlecaps on this thing. Hemmings Motor News had a great term for this kind of car: fright pig. Awesome!

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/24/16 10:15 a.m.

In reply to Acme Lab Rat:

Yeah, I did that. Don't worry they aren't staying very long.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/26/16 6:19 p.m.

Well it's in pieces now.

Now I remember I probably need to figure out how to evacuate the R12 AC system so I can pull the condenser out of the way. Usually I'd just hang it off to the side, but it would be nice not having it in the way.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
11/4/16 7:07 p.m.

So is it bad that a round body V8 5 speed S10 roller I just found on craigslist is making me think about changing the direction of this just a bit?

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
11/4/16 11:15 p.m.

So this might go a whole 'nother way entirely

Depending on how I look at it in the morning, and the answer to this next question.

Is there a reason I couldn't put my 700r4 and 4472 into a '95 4x4?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
11/5/16 7:22 a.m.

Itll fit just fine in a blazer.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SCMF92n9UBJMjqHEhKL2jckjLuB8ZheGIT8Gj0Jaq3p5Z3Zov8uqDatl6Ms4PEmx