1 2
pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/4/17 1:21 a.m.

I just realized the title has way to many numbers and letters

I started a thread before I purchased this car, but now that it is on my possession I figured I would start an official thread.

Original thread

I bought the car from a semi local guy who wanted to upgrade to an EVO. The swap was allegedly done by a Toyota tech in Tampa.

The car is super clean and drives well.

On to the pictures, I will go into more details when it is not 2 AM...

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/4/17 1:25 a.m.

Interior is ridiculously clean...

Fancy stereo... it sounds really good

It's not something I would spend money on but I will enjoy that it is present.

YoloRX7
YoloRX7 New Reader
7/4/17 9:30 a.m.

That's a clean looking MR-2. Such fun cars to drive. I have wondered what it's like to drive one with the torque of the V6.

Any engine photos?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/4/17 11:02 a.m.

Need to clean it up a little still.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
7/4/17 11:29 a.m.

These things are just so damn sexy!

Caleb
Caleb Reader
7/5/17 7:27 a.m.

love the v6 swaps for these cars, now you just need to find a trd supercharger to throw on there lol

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/5/17 7:56 a.m.

mmmm...yes please

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
7/5/17 8:33 a.m.

Boost. It needs boost.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/5/17 11:32 a.m.

Also, didnt that mill assplode when GRM fooled about with one living inside a Camry?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/5/17 12:08 p.m.

You suck. (and I mean that in the nicest way possible)

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/5/17 3:49 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Also, didnt that mill assplode when GRM fooled about with one living inside a Camry?

I too am concerned with that. I have a accusump in my garage that I am planning to install + I am going to try fabbing up some baffles for the oil pan.

In other news I finally got a chance to drive the car today.

I am very happy with my purchase. First of all the car is surprisingly solid and rattle free. It is nice starting with a clean car for once.

The first thing that stands out about the engine is the midrange torque. From a 50 mph roll in 3rd it pulls effortlessly. I wish it pulled a little harder up high but that's the trade off for the torque I guess. I would guess it runs a mid to high 13 in the quarter.

It sounds glorious! The intake is a few inches behind you and it has a nice deep resonance as you accelerate. The shifter has short throws and is a little notchy.

The brakes are the smallest available on an sw20 but they work well and are easy to modulate. The pedals are nicely placed for heel toe shifting. Clutch is fairly heavy but is smooth and easy to adjust.

The suspension feels decent, but a good set of shocks would help quite a bit. The turn in is pretty amazing.

I have some things to sort out still...

I will post an update later. Headed to the metalica concert in Orlando

e46Ben
e46Ben New Reader
7/5/17 7:14 p.m.

Wow. Must be a hoot to drive

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
7/5/17 7:56 p.m.

Very jealous. I rode in a supercharged v6 swap and it blew my mind. So I shall suggest boost, because why not?

BTD
BTD Reader
7/6/17 11:45 a.m.

Is yours running the E153 or S54 trans?

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/6/17 12:03 p.m.

I was told S54, but i haven't put it the air to verify. I would like to upgrade to an lsd e153 at some point but i am going to enjoy the car as is for awhile.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/7/17 8:42 a.m.

Hey, I was also at that Metallica show.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/7/17 2:34 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

It was pretty awsome, at least after the sun went down and I stopped roasting...

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/10/17 8:34 p.m.

So I bought a crashed 1993 Friday for $700.00. I immediately sold the front bumper, fender, headlight and hood for $500.00.

I hope to repeat my corvette part out scenario.

Previous owner ran over a curb, apparently the na MR2 was too "fast" for him.

It does have a set of the nicer megan racing coilovers installed on it, one has a damaged ear. I can hopefully sell them for enough to buy a set of konis.

I figure I can sell quite a bit and keep the 93 subframe and the tranny for a spare.

In other news I think my car is literally one of the 1st sw20's out there. It has a 01/90 production date. The last 7 digits of the VIN are 0000051. I figure there were several press cars and prototypes before mine but there can't be that many production cars prior to 0000051.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
7/11/17 7:31 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I figure there were several press cars and prototypes before mine but there can't be that many production cars prior to 0000051.

Thats pretty cool right there. figure about 20-30 press cars, and that leaves another 20-30 that got made before yours. All the factory guys got their mistakes out of the way before they got to yours

revhard
revhard Reader
7/11/17 12:03 p.m.

The brakes might be a good upgrade from what you have on your car now. Also those taillights would probably fetch some money.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/11/17 5:56 p.m.

In reply to revhard:

1 tail light is broken

The 1993 na brakes are not the desirable ones. The 1993 and up turbo brakes are the ones to get.

revhard
revhard Reader
7/12/17 7:30 a.m.

but i thought you said it was a 93 that you bought? 93 na brakes should still be bigger then what you have on your 91.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
7/15/17 7:13 p.m.

Today I picked up a new shifter and steering wheel. The NRG parts on the car are nice but I am not feeling the anodized purple.

Old...

New...

Old...

New...

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/17 7:28 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

Just the center of the NRG steering wheel not being straight would have bugged the hell out of me.

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
7/17/17 2:22 p.m.

Congratulations on your purchase. My younger brother drives a 1993 MR2 with a 2GR swap + MR2 turbo trans and it is an absolute blast. Car is used primarily for autocross, but he has started participating in HPDE with it as well. Between the gearing and the weight, the car feels just as quick as my Cayman. His isn't going anywhere for a longggg time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6l166Ou0Oyp08vuGjJxyljdUBbhH6TGZU6ZqA2j4rVJDPEAE9Qy3q9OlhJiluqvJ