1 2 3 4 ... 7
2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
12/1/14 4:12 p.m.

That thing is bonkers!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/1/14 6:42 p.m.

Since it's a diesel, I suggest you fab up 4 ~8" stacks, slightly tilted rearward, one in front of the other, coming through the middle of the bed. Then you can christen it the Titanic.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/1/14 6:56 p.m.
petegossett wrote: Since it's a diesel, I suggest you fab up 4 ~8" stacks, slightly tilted rearward, one in front of the other, coming through the middle of the bed. Then you can christen it the Titanic.

Genius!

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/1/14 6:56 p.m.

I also think you should use it to shame bro dozers at every opportunity.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/2/14 12:50 p.m.

Took possession today, driving it back from Cleveland now, this rocks

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/2/14 12:53 p.m.

will this be what you drive when you come to the Rolex ?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/2/14 12:55 p.m.

I'm just wondering when he's going to go ahead and buy a Peterbuilt or Kenworth.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
12/2/14 8:04 p.m.

Aussie's next Challenge car:

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
12/2/14 8:36 p.m.

It Came from cleveland?! Ya didn't stop by for a beer? Next time

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/2/14 8:42 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I'm just wondering when he's going to go ahead and buy a Peterbuilt or Kenworth.

As soon as he can find one with a box on it.....

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/2/14 8:58 p.m.

Done, done and done!

Saw a few others that were just Semi cabs put on a 1 ton P/U chassis. (that might be what the second one is)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/2/14 9:32 p.m.

This ticks all the boxes for me,
1. It tows anything, period.
2. seats 6 with comfort.
3. has a 5th wheel as well as a professional Reece hitch.
4. rides down the road like a Cadillac.
5. gets 10-14 mpg and we may be able to improve that a little with some care.
6. has amazing brakes.
7. turbo diesel.
8. has a full size 8' bed, even with a big tool box in the front of the bed.
9. gets more thumbs up from passing drivers than anything I have ever seen.
10. has working A/C, PS, heated mirrors and more external lights than a Christmas tree.
11. Looks unique and in my eyes, awesome.

photo 20141202_132119_zps0d64332e.jpg

The guy in yellow is the PO.

photo 20141202_132129_zps23283707.jpg

This seat will be gone soon

photo _57k_zps027d1b2a.jpg

I will be putting in the seats, stereo and H4 headlights from ClifFord. Adding some stainless wheel covers and maybe some color to the flanks, a fuel sender then driving it.. a lot

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/2/14 9:47 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: It Came from cleveland?! Ya didn't stop by for a beer? Next time

We were trying to beat the traffic and with the rain/ice/snow conditions I really wanted to get away from the city before it got rough in an unfamiliar vehicle.

As it turns out the beast had no issues at all dealing with the crud, but i wasn't sure when I started out.

Definitely next time.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/2/14 10:10 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Done, done and done! Saw a few others that were just Semi cabs put on a 1 ton P/U chassis. (that might be what the second one is)

Suddenly, I need a peterbuilt.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/2/14 10:39 p.m.

Oh yeah, I came up with a name

Meet "Sampson" everybody

photo _57g_zpsd74c9b1e.jpg

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/2/14 11:01 p.m.

What's the story on this thing? How did this truck well.... become?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/2/14 11:26 p.m.

The history is murky. From what I am seeing, it was a single cab box van at one time, someone then added the crew cab and located the dually bed to cover the wheels. They then filled in the gap to join the cab to the bed. The drivetrain and chassis seems to be untouched.

Yeah someone thought this was appropriate

photo 20141203_105237_zps55ff58b5.jpg

Honestly it could have been a crew cab when new but it would have been a short box in that case, with a max of 12 feet.

It was definitely set up for highway use, which is a huge step up from ClifFord's kidney beatings.

The New Holland is backed up by a 4 speed Allison transmission, which shifts smoothly.

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/3/14 8:47 a.m.

Steve that thing is awesome! Now you're going to need a bigger trailer. I want to see a picture of Sampson towing your bus on a flat trailer.

Someone local to me has built a similar truck and has it on CL here. Crazysauce price for an unfinished truck though.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/3/14 9:21 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: The history is murky. From what I am seeing, it was a single cab box van at one time, someone then added the crew cab and located the dually bed to cover the wheels. They then filled in the gap to join the cab to the bed. The drivetrain and chassis seems to be untouched. Honestly it could have been a crew cab when new but it would have been a short box in that case, with a max of 12 feet.

It looks well done. Can you see a junction in the bed? Seems like something that wouldn't be too hard to duplicate.

Congrats - looks awesome. I assume this means Cliford will be for sale after parts have been swapped around? No - not interested - just curious.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/3/14 9:51 a.m.

I already have ClifFord spoken for, one of my younger friends does construction and wants to put a dump bed on ClifFord, it would sell easily to a farmer out here anyway.

I cannot see any sign of a join in the bedsides, however the original bed front is still inside, dividing the tool box area from the full size bed, it's quite neatly done.

photo 20141203_105319_zpse42a6c73.jpg

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/3/14 12:31 p.m.

Awesome on many levels. I'm glad it fits your needs so well.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
12/3/14 2:40 p.m.

That's sweet. I dig the black wheels with the chrome looking trim.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/3/14 3:47 p.m.

Can you get torq-thrusts for that thing?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
12/3/14 4:05 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: This ticks all the boxes for me, 1. It tows anything, period. 2. seats 6 with comfort. 3. has a 5th wheel as well as a professional Reece hitch. 4. rides down the road like a Cadillac. 5. gets 10-14 mpg and we may be able to improve that a little with some care. 6. has amazing brakes. 7. turbo diesel. 8. has a full size 8' bed, even with a big tool box in the front of the bed. 9. gets more thumbs up from passing drivers than anything I have ever seen. 10. has working A/C, PS, heated mirrors and more external lights than a Christmas tree. 11. Looks unique and in my eyes, awesome.  photo 20141202_132119_zps0d64332e.jpg The guy in yellow is the PO.  photo 20141202_132129_zps23283707.jpg This seat will be gone soon  photo _57k_zps027d1b2a.jpg I will be putting in the seats, stereo and H4 headlights from ClifFord. Adding some stainless wheel covers and maybe some color to the flanks, a fuel sender then driving it.. a lot

Okay, I want one now. Pretty sweet ride. Before I buy another truck in the future, I might have to consider something like this. I am curious to know any more you figure out about it.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/3/14 4:37 p.m.

Is it listed as a normal.truck, or.do you need commercial plates? I am.seriously comsidering making one.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yvS5NeaADXOHoFO5u9rqHHrC3oWYMyKb8wYKgnfpiYhAGghWbNsPGXOC8TZmXv2c