1 2
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/22 2:23 p.m.

No photo description available.

This one seemed not to be leaking. Here's hoping that's the case.

5/25/22 4:36 p.m.

A bit more research leads me to think that a ZF rack out of a later E46 330 would be a reliable upgrade. Since steering racks are $50 bucks at the local LKQs, I've got other options if this one doesn't work, as E36s are getting rare in the junkyards.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/25/22 7:15 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Are there different ratios that you might prefer?

7/18/22 11:59 a.m.

I really should work on this this.

Stampie: I picked up a used stock rack for cheap. It looks like it wasn't leaking, but we'll see. I think stock for stock repair on a street car is budget exempt, right?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/22 12:40 p.m.

For Challenge purposes it depends on if it was bad when you bought it or broke afterwards.

7/18/22 4:47 p.m.

The one in the car worked when I bought it. This one will work, too, but hopefully not drip oil onto any running surfaces. 

Not like it matters: This car is going to be a rear pack finisher, if I ever make it down.

9/2/22 10:52 a.m.

Wow. Almost a year and I've been helping others with their projects versus working on mine.

I only made it to one Rallycross this year, and drove the Subaru.

3/11/23 12:22 a.m.

I'll be sending this BMW to a new home, soon. Though somebody already messaged me expressing interest, I'm going to make a for sale thread anyhow, because it will be easier to gather everything together in one place that way.

I think I lost enthusiasm for the project because:

1. I broke both my arms right after buying it. This set in motion 10 weeks of inertia where I could not work on the car. Continuing to not work on the car felt natural.
2. This would be a dedicated event car. Making it a street car again would involve big bucks or a donor car. I have a rallycross car already that works on the street. 
3. No way I'm going to make the Challenge this year. Having the rule set open up also means I can build a car I want to keep, versus building one for under $2000.
4. The teens are about to start driving, and I got the Element for them. That means space for a car that can't be driven on the street is precious.
5. There are people that *really* like these versus building one on a lark.
6. Something popped up a few hours away that grabbed my interest. Dusterbd13-michael met me to act as ground control. After we went over the car,  his impression was: The only things wrong with this car are cosmetic.
7. I was smiling from ear to ear on the test drive. That's the kind of experience I'm after. 

4/2/23 5:46 p.m.

Dragged it out to get some photos in prep for a classified ad.

4/14/23 11:33 a.m.

This one got sent to somebody else.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pEH5Fqs5wOlQrkQOhM6ikZHpQmjpWO6N2a1NMBwIyRGbgjFOHYASvZqT531pdBuV