1 ... 3 4 5 6
Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/18/19 3:21 p.m.

You think you're going to miss OD with the TH400? Trying to decide if I want to go with a TH400 or 4l80e when my short bed gets roughly the same treatment you're doing to yours.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
8/18/19 7:30 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

I never drove the truck with od, but a 4l80 would be nice.

At 65-70mph the motors turning about 2800rpm, not horrible but I’m sure it’s not very efficient either.

I mainly chose the th400 for budget reasons, and so I wouldn’t need to deal with controlling a transmission on my first standalone engine management project. For both those reasons it’s a great choice. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/18/19 9:23 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

So basically I need to decide how much I care about highway fuel economy on my sketchy turbo truck and how much it's worth to me. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
8/19/19 7:10 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Yes, also depends what your going to run for management. Most stock gm truck ecm will run a 4l80 no problem. But other more basic management systems won’t.

Thinking of fuel economy on a turbocharged v8 powered vehicle is kind of an exercise in futility.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/19/19 6:21 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Honestly thinking either stock ECM with HP tuners or go ahead and spend the money on a Terminator X setup.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
8/19/19 7:29 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Terminator looks very impressive, not sure what the cost of hp tuners is now because I didn’t have a harness so didn’t price that option out.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/19/19 7:41 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

The Holley setup is cheap enough that if you buy a pre cut harness for a stock ECM it's basically the same money from what I can tell. I could do it cheaper by cutting my own harness down from a donor truck but I may just be lazy and pay for Holley stuff. Like I said I'm just in early planning stages at this point. I have another car I need to make major progress on before I cut up this currently perfectly usable truck.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
9/1/19 8:43 a.m.

With something like 500 miles on the truck it seems a lifter has decided to collapse. It’s not doing it all the time. Going to try a quick oil change and some tech in a can...but I’ll likely be pulling the passenger side head sometime next week when I’m home. 

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/1/19 11:06 a.m.

The Sloppy Mechanics guys just spray the old headgasket with Permatex copper gasket sealer and re-use it.  Are you a gambling man of that sort?

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
9/1/19 1:12 p.m.

I wouldn’t say I’m a gambling man, I do have a spare gasket set so I may replace it. I’ll probably reuse the head bolts though.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
9/1/19 3:21 p.m.

Well now I’m confused , took the truck for a 15 minute drive to get groceries.

When i started the truck the noise took about a minute to appear then I proceeded to drive it to the store. Hopped back in and by the time I got back the knock/tick was gone...

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
9/1/19 4:25 p.m.

Hmmm.   

Phase 1: Change the oil

Phase 2: ???

Phase 3: Hazer

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
9/9/19 5:00 p.m.

Despite the fact the lifter noise is still semi around I used spare money to buy a rear end and a Transgo shift kit.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
9/14/19 7:02 a.m.

Unfortunately I’ve spend most of the last 3 weeks on the road for work. Probably haven’t put 40 miles on the truck.

But yesterday this showed up. 

This afternoon I will do an oil change and maybe go for a drive. 

I did pull the rocker cover. All looks fine. Rockers and push rods all seem tight.  Which makes sense since the noise is intermittent.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
10/2/19 8:01 p.m.

Accidentally hit 200kpa and maxed out my map tonight on a test run.

Wont say how dumb the decision I made was that lead to me hitting 15psi when I wanted 10...but I’m kind of glad an intercooler pipe blew off, and boost cut kicked in before I could hurt anything.

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
10/2/19 9:19 p.m.

If a little bit is good than more is better right?

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
10/2/19 9:23 p.m.

If that kit is for a 4L80, DO NOT do the pressure relief valve mod.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
10/3/19 7:01 a.m.
SkinnyG said:

If that kit is for a 4L80, DO NOT do the pressure relief valve mod.

I’m using a th400. 

Lucky,

It was pretty convincing got a minute there. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
10/6/19 7:13 p.m.

Well, the part time knock on start up has become a full time knock. Pulled the rocker covers and nothing is loose. 

Removed the serpentine belt and it’s still there. Disconnected the torque converter and it’s still there.

Had my neighbor down the road who has been a drag racer for 50 years listen to it. He said rod bearing.

So tonight I started tearing it down. I found another 100$ 4.8 long block but it’s 2 hours away.  Going to try and find an evening this week to go get it. 

A little disappointed but this was a 100$ motor and a spun bearing I can chock up to bad luck. Not like I cracked a piston or bent a rod. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
10/8/19 7:20 p.m.

New 4.8 being delivered tomorrow. 

Hoping to have it doing burnouts by Canadian thanksgiving (next Monday).

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
10/11/19 9:11 p.m.

Twins!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
10/14/19 7:41 p.m.

Trans and motor are mated again. Should be only a few hours to have it all back together again. Intake is ready to be dropped on. 

Need to read up on torque converter spacing. Seems like I need to pull it up a little over a 1/4” to meet the flex plate. Not sure if that’s to much.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
10/26/19 3:32 p.m.

New motor is working well but trans whine is getting louder and louder.

So this afternoon I dug out my spare th400 and installed my shift kit in it. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
10/28/19 3:21 p.m.

Good news, trans number two with the shift kit works well.

Bad news, the replacement 4.8 is dead. Smoking like a freight train. 

GoLucky
GoLucky Reader
10/28/19 5:44 p.m.

Bummer about the bad replacement engine. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mHNUG2S3w0wkBBaoSIYpasYqZqYLPAzQ4LuVdFGH0eMxcgJsNI6MhqHzzzmUt4Kg