1 ... 3 4 5
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/30/18 3:02 p.m.

I'm not sure if any of you remember this from the 2011 UTCC.  I've tried to ask Q's about it on here a couple of times over the years but I've never really found much info other than the single paragraph in the Magazine write up.  I pulled these pics from the GRM You Tube video.  I think it started as some kind of circle track car and I recall it had a NASCAR engine. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/18 6:51 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

The Nascar Modifieds ran Lime rock a few times and if I remember right they shifted some weight to the right and ran thick wheel spacers on the left and lower offset wheels on the right.  I'm surprised that fabricated circle track cars aren't more popular in road racing.  The reasons that stock car racing moved away from production cars are just as valid.  they're relatively inexpensive for the amount of performance, durable, easy to repair and maintain.  I have a neighbor that runs a DIRT mod and even running 3-4 nights a week most of his maintenance involves washing off the mud, changing fluids, and inspections.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
1/31/18 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Wally :

Semi related, I have been coming back to this craigslist ad again and again:  some sort of NASCAR?  

I want it, but don't know much about making these things turn both ways- the plan would be to make a hillclimb car.  If the "clean" title status is accurate, a street legal one devil

Wally
1/31/18 9:50 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

It looks like a 1980s Late Model.  Seeing as it has door bars on the right side it's likely a perimeter chassis rather than offset so getting the car balanced should not be a huge issue.  Getting it to turn both ways should be as easy as getting the same size front control arms on both sides in the front end, making sure both front spindles have the same kingpin angle, and making sure the rear linkages are set the same on both sides. Circle track cars normally have a long left side upper control arm and short right side arm to get the best camber curves for left turns.  This is especially exaggerated if the car was run on very short tracks as they are basically driving in a circle.   

Wally
1/31/18 10:00 a.m.

I didn't see the ad link at first.  That car is like a time capsule, very similar to cars I grew up with.  I would suspect there's no title or that anything was done to make it street legal.  Making it turn both ways should not be too difficult.  The rear looks to be a three link which is good.  I would want bigger calipers but that is a fairly easy fix.

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
1/31/18 10:56 p.m.

washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/nascar-lmsc-race-car/6466486134.html

It has a OEM subframe in the front and the rest is a tube chassis.

Because OEM subframe I think there is little or no offset.

The rear lower bars of the three link appear to be OEM parts as well. (might be a little shorter than optimal)

Also appears to be OEM spindles (with the suspension in droop it's hard to tell if the geometry has been corrected for camber gain).

A lot of good parts there for $3000 I would not pay $2000 for the motor unless he has a recent build sheet.

I would put an injected LS* motor in it if your rules permit.

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
2/1/18 5:37 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
Challenger392 said:

Body

#70 Originally a stock car, not a modified.  It was bought with a nice Monte Carlo body.  But that is long gone, im not sure what the story is behind its demise.  Now it just has enough simple aluminum panels to keep the rocks and flames off of the driver.   The rear spoiler was a fairly recent add on, Because race car.   Whether it actually helps or just helps confidence is still up for debate.   I am jealous of Kevins roof when it starts to rain, but now have an umbrella velcro'd into the car. 

Challenger392 said:

Kevin's car is actually quite different than mine, Ill try to make this as organized as possible. Im sure Kevin will chime in if I get anything wrong on his car.

Chassis

#70 1995 Howe Perimeter Chassis.  Bought new by Smokey, and built specifically for hillclimb.  The cage is offset 2"left (the smallest offset available at the time).  The front of the engine block is 5" in front of the front axle.  The car is front heavy and tail happy.  Some of its weight bias has been mitigated through moving items around and some lead weight.  Total weight is around 2500lb I believe.  Kevin is currently working on setting up a set of scales that we are going to share.  It will be interesting to see how much they differ weight wise.

A bit confused by these two statements.  Does that mean #70 was built new as a stock car for hillclimbs, then lost it's body or am I missing something here?

Yes that is correct, it has never been in a roundy round race.  It was built and setup specifically for the New England Hillclimb series. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 New Reader
4/14/18 10:45 a.m.

This cold VT spring is killing me, there is still ice built up in front of the barn doors where my race car is stored.  Been itching to get her out and into my basement for some pre- season maintenance.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/13/18 5:53 a.m.

I finally got the race car into the basement.  Overall I cant find too much wrong.  A few loose bolts here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary.  Just need to change the oil and give her a good cleaning.  There are still remnants of Mt. Washington on her. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/13/18 5:59 a.m.
Wally said:

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

The Nascar Modifieds ran Lime rock a few times and if I remember right they shifted some weight to the right and ran thick wheel spacers on the left and lower offset wheels on the right.  I'm surprised that fabricated circle track cars aren't more popular in road racing.  The reasons that stock car racing moved away from production cars are just as valid.  they're relatively inexpensive for the amount of performance, durable, easy to repair and maintain.  I have a neighbor that runs a DIRT mod and even running 3-4 nights a week most of his maintenance involves washing off the mud, changing fluids, and inspections.  

A lot of stock cars and modifieds can have their weight bias mitigated fairly easily through just shifting items (gas tank, battery, etc.) around the car.  No weight neccesary.  Both my car and Kevins (Link) have equal lenght suspension on both sides and really didn't take much to get them to turn right.  Mine does have some lead weight under it from the previous owner, one of my next projects is to get the car up on scales and see what I can move around to be able to shed the weight.

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/13/18 6:02 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I'm not sure if any of you remember this from the 2011 UTCC.  I've tried to ask Q's about it on here a couple of times over the years but I've never really found much info other than the single paragraph in the Magazine write up.  I pulled these pics from the GRM You Tube video.  I think it started as some kind of circle track car and I recall it had a NASCAR engine. 

I would LOVE to run UTCC just for the heck of it.  There's no way I'd be competitive since my top speed is about 120, but it would be a blast none the less.  Only problem is I have 0 on track experience besides a few sessions in a go-kart.  All the racing I do is hillclimb, time trial.  Racing on flat ground does sound like fun though. laugh

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
5/26/18 7:54 a.m.

Mt. Ascutney takes its toll.  After prepping the car for the season, mostly minor stuff, fluids, check suspension bolts etc., I made it to Mt. Ascutney.  It was a wet weekend but I managed 1st in class and 2nd overall.  I was only beat by a Subarusurprise.  My final (and fastest) run I had a bit of a tank slapper and ended up putting my R/H rear tire off the road for about 50 ft.  I must have hit something hard as it dented the rim in a good 3".  I was surprised that the tire still held air.  It actually didnt even feel that out of round driving back down the mountain.  I think I might have a spare wheel with the same offset, so I should be all set for the Okemo climb in a couple weeks.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/1/18 8:36 p.m.

Pretty remarkable looking at that rim.......any updates? 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
8/2/18 5:54 a.m.

Sorry for the lack of updates. Things have been pretty par for the couse lately.  I used a spare rim I had on hand and attended the Okemo and Burke Mt. hillclimbs.  I finished 1st in class and 3rd-4th overall.  Im still chasing Kevin every hillclimb.  He'll claim he was slow at Burke, but still fast enough to beat me

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/2/18 7:32 a.m.

Yes don't let that 'aw shucks' persona fool you....KG smells blood every time  he throws the clutch in.

Great job on the past two,what's next? 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
8/2/18 8:11 a.m.

Probably no more events for me this year.  My day job is Fri-Sun and im out of vacation time.  Ill be digging into the car at some point. Im going to try to relocate as much weight to the rear as possible. I need more traction out of the corners. 

Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/10/19 1:09 p.m.

Car has been sitting since last year.  I DID just buy a new intake manifold gasket set.  My idle speed has seemed fast ever since I had a pretty good backfire.  I checked the exterior of the gasket for leaks with carb cleaner and nothing.  I have a feeling it blew part of it out between the intake tract and the inside of the engine.  Also bought a new diff flange gakset as that has been slowly weeping for quite some time.  Makes an awful mess. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/10/19 7:52 p.m.

And elsewhere you bought the 'KING' of the hill.............wink.....you rascal, good on you!!!!!!

KevinGale
KevinGale HalfDork
2/22/19 8:04 a.m.
759NRNG said:

And elsewhere you bought the 'KING' of the hill.............wink.....you rascal, good on you!!!!!!

I'd heard from Luke but I wasn't telling anyone but at the NEHA rules meeting lots of people knew about this.   Where was the "elsewhere"?

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
2/22/19 9:02 p.m.
Challenger392
Challenger392 Reader
2/23/19 3:54 p.m.

Heh heh got to have options.  I have still spent less on these two cars than it would cost me to build an STI or EVO.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U74fduUHozTwLccpp6zAxY9s9CjNxA84Ye2vA1tbfjLPvOQnNGr5ONzHBqreixEn