1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24
ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/27/18 7:43 p.m.
P3PPY said:

I have no idea about the build other than the paint but I LOVE it. And those wheels look fantastic too

The build can be summed up in a few pictures.

Rusty old 1996 Chevrolet Lumina APV...

...plus a wrecked 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP coupe with 6 speed manual transmission...

...plus 50 reciprocating saw blades...

...and a pound of welding wire...

​​​​​​..and some paint and you get the APV GTP.

Repaint it and put the stock 18" wheels back on and you get the APV.R

I made some more progress tonight. About 70% of the pinstripes are done. I just need to do the driver's side below the window line. Hood in progress:

Passenger side done:

Until next time.

-Sean

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/27/18 9:21 p.m.

Pin stripes are worth it. They make it pop. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
9/28/18 6:09 a.m.

Can the alignment up front be done without a lot of drama(heat smoke swearing lenght of chain phone poll)?

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
9/28/18 7:39 a.m.

Sorry for not going back to read, but did you use a hardener so you can buff it out?  If you did ..... wait for it ...... that will buff out.     It's looking great.  Good job.

ShawneeCreek
9/28/18 8:00 a.m.

The front toe has been set without issues. Camber and caster haven't been checked. But the front passenger wheel is going to remain 1-2" behind the driver's side unless I replace the (rare) subframe and bend back the front frame "rails".

Yes, I did use hardener in the red and blue paint. I worry about buffing it though. Wouldn't that spread the color around? Aka, into the white or other color? And what about the pinstripes that are on it now? I'm curious.

Realistically, it's good enough for a race car and there's not much time left. It will probably stay as is.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/28/18 8:40 a.m.

This is one of the best creations (of any kind) I've ever seen and the grocery stickers make it all that much better!

ShawneeCreek
9/28/18 5:58 p.m.

And with that the pinstripes are done along with the paint job. All that remains is paint touch up, cleaning, detailing, budget and build book, and some prep for the car show portion of the competition.

Until next time.

-Sean

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/29/18 12:00 p.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

Refresh my memory:  are you raising rear ride height?  It looks a bit tail-draggy in some pix.  

ShawneeCreek
9/29/18 1:22 p.m.

The rear was raised a few months ago with G6 hard top convertible rear springs plus all of the interior had been removed from the back. It's pretty close to level. I'm guessing you're seeing distortion from my phone's wide angle lens. Or the tuck of the rear wheels.

ShawneeCreek
10/2/18 6:18 p.m.

I visited my in-laws this weekend and was able to use their Cricut to make some vinyl stickers. All racecars need the driver's name above the window, right?

And one last, finishing touch. All minivans need a sticker in the back window. 

-Sean

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
10/3/18 12:37 a.m.

Nice, I like how this has progressed 

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/18 2:54 a.m.

In reply to ShawneeCreek :

You should add a stick figure family to the back, but make them out of orange cones. And have them getting run over by the van.  

ShawneeCreek
10/10/18 7:38 a.m.

Hitting the road. Stopped for a cool picture at the local gas station.

See you in Gainesville on Thursday!

-Sean

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/10/18 7:43 a.m.

That should turn heads the whole way there. See you in Florida!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/10/18 8:54 a.m.

That's looks really cool. I love the grocery list on the side skirts.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/18 10:58 a.m.
ShawneeCreek said:

Hitting the road. Stopped for a cool picture at the local gas station.

See you in Gainesville on Thursday!

-Sean

Quoted instead of replying because goddamn that's a whole lotta MURRICA right there!

EDIT:  well, except for the Toyota pickup

ShawneeCreek
10/12/18 6:58 a.m.

Ugh. We had some damage during transit through the remnants of hurricane Michael. It's fixable.

If I've got time I'll do it before the autocross or between the morning and afternoon sessions.

-Sean

ShawneeCreek
10/13/18 9:36 a.m.

Managed to get it fixed last night just before dark.

ShawneeCreek
10/13/18 9:53 a.m.

Car show time. All you people at home are missing out on some home made banana bread from my sponsors Bananas, Bread, Eggs, and Mrs ShawneeCreek.

-Sean

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/13/18 10:00 a.m.

Saw it in person yesterday, it's so unbelievably fantastic......

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/18 10:13 a.m.

I saw an autocross time from the AM runs and it looked like you posted a very respectable time. Kudos for getting it here and the livery this year is fantastic 

ShawneeCreek
10/13/18 2:49 p.m.

Judging went well. I was allowed the extra minute on top of the base 3 and still didn't have a ton of time. I hit the main points though. We'll see how it all shakes out tonight.

Also, we weighed the van. In $2016 with full interior: 3549 lbs.

Today as raced: 3329 lbs. 220 lbs lighter.

-Sean

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/18 4:30 p.m.

This is great. Love the theme and the work on presentation. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/13/18 4:34 p.m.

The banana bread was damn good too. 

ShawneeCreek
10/13/18 8:15 p.m.

Awards banquet is complete. We came home with 3 trophies: Longest Drive (1,143 miles), Challengers' Choice, and 2nd place Concours (which currently reads 2nd place pm autocross (to be fixed later)). And we placed 10th overall.

First off, the longest drive isn't necessarily a trophy to work for (it's a lot of gas and seat time on the highway) but recognizing the effort is nice. It's going to be a long drive home.

Second, I'm honored to receive Challengers' Choice. I didn't set out to win it. I just wanted to make this crazy van a little more cool and send it off in style. Thank you to all who voted for me. I'm humbled that you all liked it so much.

Third, I'm happy to have done so well in the Concours. I lost out to the very worthy opponents of Wreck Racing.

I'm going to go hang out at the pool and relax. Once I get home and sleep on it a bit I'll formulate a plan on what is next for the van.

Until next time.

-Sean

1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kDFd0WCBmFSPCVAslwohcwyJl09RBZuczdxQUGcMhcWdJDiY7zerEYMvJANRNlxZ