1 ... 10 11 12
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/20 9:22 p.m.

I have spent the last two days googling "lightest rwd production cars"

Turns out, Miata isn't the only answer.  Chevette works too, if you don't mind a weak live axle and terrible front suspension geometry.  I really was hoping for an E300, but I'm not hopeful I can pare down 3600 lbs to fighting weight.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/27/20 9:31 p.m.

Clearly the answer is Datsun B210.

10/28/20 9:18 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Clearly the answer is Datsun B210. If you can find one on a challenge budget

FTFY.  If I lived in CA, I might get lucky and find one for under $3500 that isn't rusted to heck.

But yes, you're right.  That would be a great platform.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/31/20 8:46 a.m.

On the very off chance that I bring it back next year, I just got $5 back into my budget by running the door and fenders down to the scrapper.  More importantly, they are not sitting around here taking up space.

Also, took the car out and measured the height of the rocker panels front and rear.  It is actually pretty close to level.  Just doesn't look right to me, though, so to change up the look, and hopefully have the exhaust rub against the axle less, I ordered a set of 1" spacers.

Still trying to figure out space issues involving storing all the cars through the winter.  The Impala is going to have to be outside, and I'd like to keep it in the driveway.  Unless I can find a place to store the Beetle over the winter, either something has to park on the street, or I have to come up with a way to put two cars in the garage.  The S10 might go in, and have stuff piled up in the cab and bed.

11/1/20 10:20 a.m.

Without reading back through the whole thread, did you end up re-aligning it?  I had done an alignment in the driveway after doing ball joints a couple years ago.  I took it to a shop where they discovered it was "within spec" so they didn't change it, but I noticed that the "within spec" showed about 0.5 degrees positive camber.  I was going to add a shim to the back bolt of the UCA to bring it in and add a little more caster but never got around to it.  Given the understeer in the AutoX I noticed, you might pick up some time with a wrench and a shim.  You could scour some of the SS forums for free springs, although they might lift a lot more than you need.  How much higher do you want to go?  9C1 springs will lift it like 3" I think.  Will spring spacers pass tech?  I don't mean the donut spacers that space the spring itself, I mean the rubber X's that fit between the coils.  That might be a $10 way to get the lift and additional rate you want.

You can add lightness by stripping and selling the interior.  I'm sure there is someone who wants that mostly-undamaged rear seat.  The front seats are somewhat valuable to someone who wants to re-upholster them.  Bolt in the cheap Scat seat I bought from John.

that's IF you decide to keep it and run it again.  There is always the option to trade it for an Answer.

I will also say this... if you end up selling it, I might know a buyer.  Probably not me, but the guy who was bugging me for it this spring it is still looking.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
11/1/20 10:51 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

that's IF you decide to keep it and run it again.  There is always the option to trade it for an Answer.

I will also say this... if you end up selling it, I might know a buyer.  Probably not me, but the guy who was bugging me for it this spring it is still looking.

I've actually been giving this a few thoughts lately.  I'm unlikely to run it again, as I would not be surprised if by next year, it could be over budget, unless I gut it and start selling parts, which I'd rather not do right now.  My plan had been to drive it while building the S10, but it is looking more like that could be delayed due to space and time issues.  And finally, my Miata's engine ticking that started after I came home from the challenge has me nervous.  It is always possible an HLA just bled down while it was sitting, but I am scared it could be worse.  Scared enough that I haven't gone and driven it yet, which I should.  If the engine in the Miata is borked, that may be the next project(or I may just find another Miata), and the Impala may go to help fund that. 

On the off chance I decide to get rid of the Impala anytime soon, you'll be the one of first to know, Curtis.

Edit:  I also just stashed a bunch of the Impala's spare parts in my storage locker yesterday, to make more room in the garage.  If the car makes a second appearance at the challenge, I could try to get some recoup selling some of those.

wae
wae UberDork
11/1/20 3:06 p.m.

On the Miata issue:  When was its last oil change?  They're clattery little engines and once the oil gets a little used up it just gets worse and worse.  You should have heard mine on the way home - after 5 hours at highway speeds, I'd pull off for fuel and it would sound like a sewing machine.  Let it sit and cool down, though, and it's as quiet as a BP can get.  I've found that after about 2k miles on the oil it starts to clatter a bit and if I try to push it past 3k, it's just constant noise.  As soon as I change it, though, it's back to its normal noise level and I'm not picking up anything in the filter or the pan.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  They're just noisy little heads.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
11/1/20 3:33 p.m.

In reply to wae :

Considering how little driving I’ve been doing this year, somewhere well under a thousand miles.  I think I’m still on the second or third tank of gas since my timing belt swap over last winter. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
11/9/20 11:56 a.m.

Over the weekend, I pulled the Impala into the garage to install some spacers on the rear suspension.  Had to disconnect the shocks to get enough space.

The spacers were relatively easy to install.  Being aluminum, galvanic corrosion may make them very difficult to remove eventually.

Took the car out and drove a round a bit.  Still drives fine, and even though it is a tiny difference, I think it makes the car look better.  It no longer looks to me like it is dragging its tail.  Not the greatest picture, but I was in a bit of a hurry to get home and deal with some other stuff:

Some of the stickers from the challenge had left a bit of residue, so I also cleaned that off, and re-waxed the areas where they had been.  I've rarely had this problem before, but I suspect it was because I didn't pull them when I was in Florida, and it was considerably colder back in Ohio.  Future reminder - pull the stickers before leaving the hotel in Gainesville.

At this point, I think the most I plan to do before winter hits is to spray some fluid film on the underside of the car.

On a side note, it does appear it was just an HLA that leaked down on the Miata.  It quieted down after being driven for a bit.

11/9/20 7:38 p.m.

Looks nice with the spacers.

11/9/20 7:41 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

I've actually been giving this a few thoughts lately.  I'm unlikely to run it again, as I would not be surprised if by next year, it could be over budget, unless I gut it and start selling parts, which I'd rather not do right now.  My plan had been to drive it while building the S10, but it is looking more like that could be delayed due to space and time issues.  And finally, my Miata's engine ticking that started after I came home from the challenge has me nervous.  It is always possible an HLA just bled down while it was sitting, but I am scared it could be worse.  Scared enough that I haven't gone and driven it yet, which I should.  If the engine in the Miata is borked, that may be the next project(or I may just find another Miata), and the Impala may go to help fund that. 

On the off chance I decide to get rid of the Impala anytime soon, you'll be the one of first to know, Curtis.

I'll reiterate just so you're confident in whatever you choose.  Your car.  You bought it and I don't miss it.  Neither you nor the car owe me anything, so there is the other option a burning rag in the gas tank.  It won't bum me out a bit if you sell it.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) UberDork
11/9/20 8:16 p.m.

Tim, if you don't mind me asking, what size tires were you running in Florida? And they were the rikens, correct?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
11/9/20 9:08 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

Looks nice with the spacers.

Thanks!  Even though the chassis was pretty much level without them, it just didn't look right to me.  As a bonus, the exhaust doesn't seem to be rubbing against the axle as much.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
11/9/20 9:09 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Tim, if you don't mind me asking, what size tires were you running in Florida? And they were the rikens, correct?

Yup, it was the Rikens.  255/50R17

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/9/20 9:22 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Thanks! Do you remember your best autocross time?

Im likely going to be putting a set of those on my Mercury, which should behave pretty similar to your car. Just trying to get an idea. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
11/10/20 6:07 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I want to say it was in the low 54s range, but I can't remember for sure.  Having driven an 03-up Panther, I suspect they have more potential for good handling than the Impala.

barefootskater (Shaun)
11/10/20 8:41 a.m.

Possibly better handling, but you've got more grunt. It would be interesting to see a 4000lb + class at a future challenge. Probably too close to a repeat of aristocrat to gain any support though. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
11/10/20 3:43 p.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

Possibly better handling, but you've got more grunt. It would be interesting to see a 4000lb + class at a future challenge. Probably too close to a repeat of aristocrat to gain any support though. 

IIRC, the later panthers had a decent amount of power, just not a lot of low end torque.  Bet you could liven it up quite a bit with a gear swap.  Maybe 3.73 or 4.10.  Of course, gas mileage might get a bit worse.  The Impala managed between 18-19 MPG on the highway during the trip back and forth from the challenge.  I think my 2000 Grand Marquis got around 24 MPG on longer trips.

1 ... 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WTAXjSkp5gHspLsXutpjECSbekydxE2F8RMVbaqyj5UNMYdhxu9x6NAjCc0STmLL