1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
TimM
TimM Reader
7/5/21 12:08 p.m.

Malibuguy:  Great points and likely obtaining a full 3 inch front to rear may be a project for next go-around.  I was just surprised the two parts from the same manufacturer were not same diameter.  Of course, far better than OEM!  We are still debating on the exhaust.  Didn't expect to make that purchase, but with the current with a hole in it...another grand seems to be disappearing.  We may attempt to patch the current one just to see how it sounds.  We were planning to high temp coat whatever we settle with so even a used option is possible.  Hate to plug the engine...although keeping the neigbors happy is high on the priority too.  Thanks!

While installed the cylinder head, it became evident the larger aftermarket valve springs and ARP head stud washers wanted to occupy the same real-estate...so out came the Dremel - an amazing tool.  Three washers received minor scallops...easy-peasey:

Also updated the head oil system with a Kiggly hydraulic lash adjuster regulator...OEM apparently pumps excess oil to the top - OEM:

Kiggly 15 psi model:

Folks on the Evo specific forums suggested to pull the valve cover oil baffles if blast media was used to prep the powdercoating...I was leery as I saw next to nothing especially after a thorough clean/blasting.  But I did still see something and the coater mentioned the factory finish required a bit of blasting (and they taped it off well)...so out came the Dremel to top all the 'rivets'...we were quite shocked to see the debris hiding!:

It was far worse than we expected - thanks for the suggestion!  

Post-cleaning...and no engine damage!:

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/6/21 8:09 a.m.

For some extra motivation...a video of a VI was posted on petrolicious

https://youtu.be/YYWY9ubPFxs

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/6/21 2:23 p.m.

Cool stuff. Interesting to see someone dig into one of these since we never got them here in the USA.

TimM
TimM Reader
7/10/21 4:12 p.m.

malibuguy:  Appreciate the encouragement!  Spent many hours in the garage because of you this weekend!  ;-)  Nice video!

Harvey:  Agreed!

Our unfamiliarity of this powerplant is becoming evident...lots of trial fitting and to verify what we are missing...fun!

Temp installed our stage 1 GSC cams (should be rather tame) to replace the unknown Cosworths:

Close - certainly a nice finish!:

Interesting...is this 'crack' of concern?  Is this the excuse for us to be looking at one of those new Force Performance cast manifolds...;-):

Close:

Starting to really look like a something...all temp installed...:

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/10/21 6:43 p.m.

In reply to TimM :

The crack doesn't go through to the top side of the manifold, does it? If it's just internal between runners I'd guess you'd be ok to use it. 

It's really fascinating learning all the different little variations between various 4g63 engines. Your coolant pipe is looks like it curves around the back of the block vs. downward on the 1G DSM, and your oil filter mount is completely different. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
7/12/21 9:04 a.m.

+1 on the crack not being an issue, until it starts appearing on the external surface. The 1G DSMs had a notorious problem cracking exhaust manifolds, but Mitsubishi fixed the issue for the 2G models and later Evo engines.

The FP manifold is a nice piece but if it's similar to the DSM manifold, you lose the ability to use the OEM heat shield which is quite valuable for underhood radiant heat.

TimM
TimM Reader
7/13/21 2:58 p.m.

Pete:  Crack is only on the inside from what we can tell.  The coolant pipe is actually an Evo 6 according to the previous owner.  He included it along with the thermostat housing and mentioned it was a better setup.  We elected to try it...of course some confusion on how it all goes together - slowly, but surely.  The oil filter adapter is actually a new Evo 9 setup that uses larger oil line/connections for the cooler.  A bit a splurge, but may make the new oil cooler easier to locate with a more common size.  Haven't researched that fully.

engiekev:  Crack - thanks also.  We looked at the FP manifold closely, but they don't offer one with the AIR connections.  We will forego at this time - modify things later especially if the crack becomes an issue.  We are missing a heat shield...guess we should see about getting one.  ;-)

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/13/21 5:07 p.m.

Crack is a non issue. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
7/14/21 12:12 a.m.

I am quite fascinated to find this thread. I am about to start putting together my Evo VIII that I had to take apart to fix a transfercase issue. I have laughed a few times at the similarities of the parts between your car and mine. BTW those bilstein's I think are similar to ones I had on my car, I really liked them. I think the Evo needs a softer setup than some cars to allow the suspension geometry and diffs to do their magic properly. So they were just a little MORE damped and sprung than stock. Stiil I ended up going back to more stock form as I needed more rideheight.  The rear control arms are a puzzle to get in and out for sure! wink I also marvel at the similarity of the interior trim as well. 

I envy you that you didn't have any stuck bolts to get out of the engine. My engine is quite a bit more orange than yours. I am 0 for 3 on exhaust manifold heat shield bolts despite cans of PB blaster, heat, and CRC freeze off. 

I do have a request. 

Can you please give me a good photo of your engine stand arm setup?

I couldn't figure out a clean way to mount my engine to the stand. I don't plan to remove the head but want to take care of the valve seals and such while it is out of the engine. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/21 12:05 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Here's the 4g63t I just picked up for my DSM a couple weeks ago. 

The bolts are M1.25 x 10 and they need to be pretty long. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
7/14/21 10:55 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

Awesome! Thanks!

TimM
TimM Reader
7/16/21 11:59 a.m.

Little late - sorry...our example:

TimM
TimM Reader
7/17/21 1:21 p.m.

Dropped the exhaust today for a close look see...downpipe comparison:

Inlet (should be good increase in flow:

Outlet:

The bad...the cat and rearward is a disappointment.  This will add nearly a grand to the project cost...major leak among 2:

Been outside for a bit:

And the insides coming out:

and when attempting to weigh (52 pounds cat and rear portion):

We are going to try a custom UK exhaust from Russ Fellows.  Positives:  full 3 inch, lower noise (extended silencer), light weight (very direct), bit lower in cost.  Negatives:  lightweight construction (longevity?) and angled muffler...not my cup of tea.

TimM
TimM Reader
7/22/21 2:10 p.m.

Ordered the exhaust today today. 'Custom' 3 inch with no reductions from Russ Fellows in UK. Will come with a 200 cell cat (less restrictive than OEM 300+) along with a extended rear 'box' (silencer/muffler). Standard is a mid mounted resonator. Mr Felllows mentioned it is typically @ 5000 rpm holds at 96 dbs.

Also received our K+N filter for the intake system (PN:  KNN-RF-1015). Obviously tried to get the largest filter...but our measurements were a bit optimistic! The filter just fit and even then had to finagle the install. Nothing larger will fit!

Installed:

Thumbs!

Another task complete...and the little lady is back in town...time for some progress!

TimM
TimM Reader
8/1/21 11:59 a.m.

Put a few hours in today...finally.

Installed the head permanently with 80 ftlb torque on the ARP.  She made it to 60 and I lent a hand after that:

Next oil pump plate gasket:

The balance shaft delete plug (shafts were already removed from the engine...new oil pump required a new factory delete plug - nice rubber coating)

The pump plate itself:

Oil pump pickup 'strainer':

She loves that digital torque wrench...interesting to see her realize the NM equals ft lb, etc.

Oil filter adapter:

The remainder is all temp installed...other than the waterpump - didn't get a image of that...she was moving too fast.

We are still waiting for more hardware and another set of 8 rocker arms...to complete the cam install and cam timing setup.

Little shocked at the price of a quality road race oil pan...ouch! 

TimM
TimM Reader
8/6/21 4:40 p.m.

Few items arrived yesterday...differential and transmission fluid:

And transfer case fluid:

More arrived today with bunch of arabic all over the package - some important pieces to the puzzle...more to follow.   ;-)

TimM
TimM Reader
8/7/21 1:39 p.m.

Time for some manual labor!  Previous owner decided a spray bombed intake manifold looks good...until the paint starts to flake off.  First thought was to take to the machine shop for their high pressure cleaner.  But Europe is closed until September so let the young one go at it with a drill mounted wire brush.  Wasn't exactly easy...an hour later with sore arms/hands...

Previous:

In-work:

Finished!

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
8/7/21 4:12 p.m.

Europe is closed until September?  So any store that isn't something like a grocery store is closed for an entire month?

In reply to TimM :

Wow, that really looks like the mirror image of a DSM manifold. 

TimM
TimM Reader
8/8/21 2:08 p.m.

docwyte:  I'm being a bit sarcastic, but yes once school is out the vacations begin.  Many of the niche services close their doors especially the important to us ones - machine shop for instance.  Email response was come back in 30 days!

Pete:  I believe you are correct.  My 4G63 book says so...just flipped, I suppose?  Understand it is not a bottleneck so will remain with the setup even with the previous owners gift of one stripped and one broken bolt.  Don't believe they are critical so moving on...

Cleaned the throttle body and added a new IAC gasket - don't want any boost leaks!:

On went the intake manifold:

Looks pretty good...better than the black flaking paint previous!:

Next will be the valvetrain completion - 'bleeding the HLA's and timing the cams!

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
8/9/21 9:45 a.m.

Redline shockproof heavy may be a bit overkill in this application. 

Some really good tips here from TRE on oil selection, also worth noting for use of heavy shockproof:

"EVOLUTION OWNERS TAKE NOTE: It is of utmost importance that the transfer oil be checked again after you have driven the car a few miles at speeds over 25mph to allow the oil to properly coat everything inside the transfer case, this is especially important when using REDLINE Shockproof in the transfer case. Drive a short distance and recheck the oil level."

http://www.teamrip.com/t-case-oil/

TimM
TimM Reader
8/10/21 3:31 p.m.

engiekev:  Hmm.  Germany isn't always a warm country...may have to revisit the shockproof.  We found an Evo forum that made these recommendations.  Thanks for posting.

TimM
TimM Reader
8/15/21 3:22 p.m.

We made a two night Scout trip to Bergtesgarden area to attempt to climb a smaller Alpine mountain (Watzmann)...so consumed the weekend.

But did received some oil from the local economy (Castrol for engine pre-lub and flush) and Valvoline VR1 from the states for engine break-in:

Also received a batch of new hardware for either missing or replacing old that seen better days - engine mount bolts, nuts, drain and fill plugs along with a new turbo coolant hose:

Threading them on - easy!:

Then to cutting up my Sears Craftsman (we found an exact replacement)...trimming off the 1/4 drive female end...she seemed to enjoy it even though quite a bit of safety precaution.  (Yes the vise is in the garage...):

Result!:

TimM
TimM Reader
8/16/21 1:36 p.m.

More parts arrived!

Evo 6 Thermostat hardware and lower o-ring seal:

New exhaust manifold hardware...original was crusty!:

And finally, to really clean up the appearance and apparently a good thing for the turbo - an OEM insulator:

Slowly, but surely...itching to fire this thing up!

TimM
TimM Reader
8/20/21 3:00 p.m.

More parts arrived...Mitsubishi vacuum line manifolds are still available and quite reasonable in cost...knowing that air leaks are not good for drive-ability or engine survival...exact replacement parts with high quality Japanese parts - a joy!:

Throttle body install with new embossed metal gasket:

Rear main seal prep:

Rear main seal install...just enough room to slide it in:

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9HTreoAo2IYSQOi6x5cw7GXy30eiCFPFZnmBrnGFyJKwETk14UlrJa9Cjn8SYO54