hpaddiction
hpaddiction None
7/25/13 1:09 p.m.

Hey guys, this is my 1999 mustang gt. All of the details are on my profile. Check it out! Right now, its sitting in the garage. Welcome to the land of fuel issues. I just installed a new fuel pump a few days ago. The car turns over but doesn't start. I'm thinking its a line issue. I tried hitting the inertia switch, but it still won't start... Do you have any ideas on whats wrong with the car?

Any feedback or possible mod ideas would be great! Thanks for reading!

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
7/25/13 2:21 p.m.

Need a few more details...was it running before you installed the new pump? Is this to repair an issue, or were you installing a better pump to support upgrades? Did you change or install anything else at the same time? When you say 'hitting the inertia switch' are you resetting it or just knocking on it with a hammer? (maybe a dumb question...)

Assuming the pump was the only thing you changed....check the fuse. Maybe you shorted a wire and blew the fuse to the pump during install. Can you hear it run when you first turn the key on? If you can hear it running, do you build pressure on the fuel rails?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
7/25/13 2:30 p.m.

I had a wiring connector go bad on mine, so you might want to check all the connections. This was after a go-around with a dealer back in the day before I knew what I was doing, they replaced the inertia switch, I replaced the pump (what a PITA that is), professional removed the PO installed alarm, and finally a DIFFERNT dealer isolated the 75 cent connector causing the problem.

Check for power to the pump before really digging too far.

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
7/25/13 4:01 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

It ran for a bit then shut off... might have been running on fuel in the lines... however it did start when we put fuel into the fuel line... Only temporarily. We also properly reset it by pressing the red button behind the driver side taillight.

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
7/25/13 4:02 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver:

Ok I'll try it out. Thanks. Nice ride by the way!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/25/13 4:02 p.m.

When you cycle the key to "On" can you hear the fuel pump run? Do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail (there's a schrader valve on it)? (PS - I recommend a fuel pressure gauge there, don't just push the valve with a screwdriver)

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
7/25/13 4:18 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Yes, I hear a buzz from the fuel pump when I cycle the key to on. I have pressure in the rail because when I put gas directly into the rail it starts up just fine.

Javelin
7/25/13 4:20 p.m.

In reply to hpaddiction:

That second sentence makes no sense. Put gas in the rail?

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
7/25/13 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Sorry, into a pipe leading into the rail

Javelin
7/25/13 4:31 p.m.

In reply to hpaddiction:

How are you "adding gas"? Do you have a pump or are you just pouring it in from a can?

Have you verified fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail with the pump running?

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
7/25/13 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Pouring it in. I'll to check the fuel pressure.. I'll comment what the pressure is when I do.

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
7/28/13 12:36 p.m.

Update 2: I found out what was wrong! The anti theft module was freezing the car up and not letting it start. The fuel pump was fine. When we put fuel in the pipe that leads to the rail it runs for a bit then turns off when the anti theft module stops the engine. The pump runs at about 38-40 psi. I'll make another update when I fix up the anti theft module. Thanks for reading!

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
7/28/13 2:16 p.m.

Ah modern technology!

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
7/29/13 9:20 a.m.

In reply to DoctorBlade: Haha gotta love it.

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
8/1/13 9:00 p.m.

update 3: The car works perfectly now. The car fixed itself! I'm now daily driving it and it runs perfectly! After a few days of driving, it needs new tires.... Bad ass . Thinking about getting a new exhaust system. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for reading!

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
8/4/13 8:33 p.m.

Update 3: I completely serviced it a month and a half ago and today I started it and the service engine soon light came on. Along with that, the engine started shaking at idle a lot more than it used to. I've barely driven it 250 kilometers and I don't want to service it already. Also when I put my foot down I smell gasoline in the cabin. Any ideas on whats happening?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/4/13 8:37 p.m.

Hook up an appropriate OBD2 code reader and find out what fault code it is throwing. The "service engine soon" light is actually the CEL/fault light.

Cuda
Cuda Reader
8/4/13 9:04 p.m.

I would check the coil-on-plugs. I had a 2000 GT that gave me problems and everytime the idle was rough, it was COP's. If that is the problem stay with stock COP's all of the aftermarket ones are crap. They fail quickly and don't really offer any performance gains.

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
8/6/13 8:24 a.m.

In reply to Cuda: Alright, thanks! I'll try it out after I hook up an OBD2 code reader as BoxheadTim suggested.

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
8/8/13 8:41 a.m.

update 4: I started the car this morning and it didn't shake... Weird. The service engine light is still on

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
8/13/13 7:20 p.m.

Update 5: thinkin on a new mustang GT...

CLynn85
CLynn85 Reader
8/13/13 8:18 p.m.

When I read your first post the first thing that came to my mind was "Passive Anti-Theft". Did the same thing to us on our Lemons car and caused weeks of pain and anguish. For us it was the sensor on the bottom of the steering column that got damaged when we unbolted the column and laid it on the floor to work on the dash. We changed fuel pump, guage cluster, tried programming a new key, all sorts of nonsense over that stupid sensor.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
8/14/13 7:56 a.m.

Perhaps 'passive' isn't quite the term they should've used....

hpaddiction
hpaddiction New Reader
8/14/13 5:08 p.m.

Update 6: I've decided to sell the mustang for a more practical crown victoria... I will make another forum on that soon! Thinking of swapping the auto out for a manual in the vic... See you on my next forum!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
20OpA1sjev5WsCJdrP5nUvHyjT3vO3PafAImzrEwuOzo6RHfwjujzmXvKYAayxUD