thestig99
thestig99 Dork
5/28/19 6:10 p.m.

I recently purchased another vehicle - my 3rd in as many months. But this one is special (to me).

As a bit of a back story, I've always been drawn to these trucks for some reason.  Unfortunately, though, I live deep within the rust belt - making even a halfway decent Toyota truck worth its weight in gold. A couple of years ago, though, I finally lucked out - finding a 1993 4Runner that was very solid but needed some mechanical love for a good price.  However life giveth and life taketh away - right about the same time I bought the truck I experienced an unexpected breakup which left me flat broke and homeless. Progress was slow and I barely got to enjoy the truck before it slipped through my fingers, needing to come up with some cash and get something with better fuel economy. I've had a few cars since then, which I have liked, but nothing has quite filled the gap left by my 4Runner.

Until now.

Several weeks ago I was at work browsing dealer auction vehicles when this guy showed up on my screen.

It was a little soon - I had been planning on shopping for a nice 3rd gen 4Runner later in the summer, but here it was at a very fair price. A 159k mile 1999 SR5, 3.4L V6, 4WD, automatic with two previous owners. It was leased new in Delaware and the went to Virginia, where it would remain until now. Berk it. I pulled the trigger (well, clicked the "buy now" button) and made arrangements to have it shipped home to Vermont. 

A couple of agonizing weeks later, I got the text that it had arrived. I was getting ready to go to bed... but there was no way I was going to be able to sleep with that news, so I jumped in the car and headed in to work where I found this:

WIth a jump start it fired right up and, after a 30 second parking lot inspection with a flashlight... I drove it home.

That single stage red paint was more faded than I anticipated but it's all there where it counts.

Nothing a buffer can't fix, though. 

Even the pinstripe came off with the oxidation! Couldn't ask for much more.

Result:

There is still some more polishing to be done, but you could say Im not disappointed with the results laugh

After a new battery and a rear power window regulator we were in business. 

The goal is a solid daily driver which supports various outdoor activities and can capably and reliably venture into the wilderness from time to time. 

In the short term it needs AT tires (already have, need some 17" wheels), bike/kayak hauling sorted, maintenance items baselined, interior cleanup, and some gear storage and organization. I'll probably do the Tundra front brake swap before too long as well.

In the longer term its a continuation of the above with some added off road capability, but nothing crazy by any means. 

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
5/28/19 6:35 p.m.

Two days after legally taking ownership of the 4Runner, my girlfriend and I headed off into the Green Mountain National Forest.

The truck never skipped a beat, but we need to work on the sleeping setup. The air mattress in the back was doable... but far from ideal. Despite this a good time was had by all. Nicole says I should get a roof top tent now...

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
5/28/19 8:09 p.m.

Re clean it underneath and rust proofing before anything else. What little these had fom new is long gone from 20 years of southern heat.

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
5/28/19 8:15 p.m.

Rust prevention falls under "baseline maintenance" on southern Toyota in Vermont laugh

thestig99
thestig99 Dork
7/13/19 9:26 p.m.

Whew... moving sucks, but I cant complain. 

Not a whole lot to report on the 4Runner.

Someone smacked it in a parking lot and accidentally forgot to leave a note

It gained some Tundra wheels, wrapped with a used set of Toyo Open Country AT tires.

And then it finally lost the running boards and yucky fender trim, leaving us here. 

Just a couple thousand miles of turn key daily driving and a lot of loads of household crap in between. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iUMrnyQ29egr2o6V54WszxtzGdOOJgsm2yw2schLETIksmOpq9ThPjnvPc2NiGEr