1 2 3 ... 7
BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
12/10/18 3:16 p.m.

Well, you hang out on here long enough, you buy a Miata, right? 

As the title implies... he took 200. 

1SlowVW
1SlowVW New Reader
12/10/18 3:25 p.m.

Can’t go wrong there, added bonus with the hood already being bent you don’t need to worry about cutting a clearance hole for the turbo.

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
12/10/18 7:44 p.m.

It's pretty damn dented everywhere, The ad said it wouldn't go in to gear but it seemed to click in fine and the clutch had enough grip to go up the trailer ramps. 

Interior is already stripped, comes with one seat. 

The frame is mostly straight, there doesn't seem to be too much rust on it. 

First major concern is, this oddly out of center shifter.

Like, Why? Do you guys think the mounts are shot? Did something shift in the accident? The Radiator isn't even damaged so it's not like the drivetrain got pushed. 

Any miata guys wanna drop some knowledge on me?

untchabl
untchabl Reader
12/10/18 8:06 p.m.

Cut off the body and build a ghettocet or a kart.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/10/18 8:17 p.m.

If you decide to sell any parts I would probably be interested in some odds and ends.

Like...I'd like to have a known-good airbag control module.  Mine's flashing at me which makes me want a spare or replacement module.

I probably need other stuff...just have to get to know my relatively new-to-me car.

And yes, If you hang out here long enough, it becomes rare not find a Miata in your life.

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
12/11/18 2:25 p.m.
untchabl said:

Cut off the body and build a ghettocet or a kart.

Death cart may well be in works... Original plan is to take it to Lemons first. But that is a lot of safety gear I don't already own... 

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
12/11/18 2:26 p.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

I know that the air bags blew or are not in the steering wheel at least, Where is the control module and how do I test it? I certainly won't be needing one. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/18 7:02 p.m.

I would guess the engine mounts are shot or one of the mounting ears broke on the diff. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/12/18 6:59 a.m.

In reply to BirgerBuilder :

I'll do some checking and see (I've only done one, cursory search for "miata airbag light flashes").  

As for testing...it seems yours has been tested recently in the most telling way ;)

Torkel
Torkel New Reader
12/12/18 9:25 a.m.

Regarding shifter: It looks like it's just leaning to the drivers side: I bet your drivers side engine mount is broken. Seen exactly the same on racing Miatas that suffered a crash: Engine breaks the mount by popping upwards at impact. Just put a new mount in there - nothing to worry about.

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
12/12/18 5:55 p.m.

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll add engine mounts to the shopping list along with the outer steering knuckle which was berked up in the crash. Fingers-crossed the Rack is okay, gotta keep this thing under the $500 limit...

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
12/12/18 6:15 p.m.

Regarding the airbag control module:  Looks like it's up above the steering column.  Not exactly a pleasant place to go digging.  But...if you ever have a reason to be in there, this guy seems to have done a tutorial of what to look for and where it is:  http://imgur.com/a/fU4Jo

So I'm curious...what are you going to do with this?  Is it going to be a kart for some sort?  Or just part it out for profit?  Or both?  :)

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
12/24/18 12:19 p.m.

Since I need some parts for Crinkles, I'm off to the happiest place on earth;

Crazy Ray's- U-pull-it!

I wanted to get wheels and tires but one of them was popped from the crash. A local guy has a set for $100, if I can find a time to meet up with him. 

So I grabbed the steering arms, a door handle, handbrake and a battery for $68. I wanted to get the whole steering rack since mine is likely damaged. However, this guy is holding on to his, quite literally, The radiator  is smashed up against it and there is no room to wiggle it free. I worked on it for about an hour before I gave up the ghost. 

The boots on the steering arms are berked so I may end up buying new ones but the plan was just to get the steering working so I can move Crinkles off the trailer. 

Sidenote; everyone at the junkyard loves Patches, the perfect work truck. I've never gotten so many thumbs ups. The average person just avoids eye contact when I drive by. 

And... Everybody pour out some eggnog for these two poor souls..

Both had straight panels and not too much rust on em... too soon brother, too soon.

Happy Christmas!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/24/18 3:58 p.m.

What does Crazy Ray charge for a door? My DD has much worse doors than the left one shown on the red X.

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
12/25/18 8:18 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

What does Crazy Ray charge for a door? My DD has much worse doors than the left one shown on the red X.

Looks like around 50-60$ depending on options. Good deal if you're near Mt. Airy MD

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Mount_Airy-208/prices/

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/25/18 8:21 a.m.

I have wheels and tires, but may be too far away....

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
12/25/18 9:02 a.m.

I appreciate it, but yeah, I'm not gonna be driving through NC anytime soon.

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
12/26/18 10:26 a.m.

The OTHER Mt Airy. north of DC and East of Frederick, in MD.

That LKQ/Crazy Ray had a few Javelins in that yard a while back, don't see too many of those....

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/26/18 3:23 p.m.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 New Reader
12/27/18 7:17 a.m.

In reply to BirgerBuilder :

Only about 150 miles, it might be worth a ride!

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
12/27/18 6:12 p.m.

I started to tear down the front suspension on Crinkles the other day, and it didn't start out great...

I put the jack under it so I could start taking it apart and the danged wheel fell off. 

Looks like there is more damage than I first thought. 

looks like the crash broke both the tie rod and the upper ball joint. and unfortunately, the upper a-arm and ball joint are all one piece.

Really wish I'd know that before I went to the junk yard the first time. Well back to Rays!

I didn't take any pictures but it was a ton of work getting the upper arm off of a car that had the sub-frame bent down in front of where that foot long bolt slides out. 

I was also able to get that dust shield though, and a mirror. 

After the second trip I was able to get everything back together, albeit with broken dust boots everywhere... 

But the job included the pleasant surprise that every bolt is well coated in grease. This car was well taken car of, right up to the point that it was driven into a guard rail. 

I can tell it's been sitting a while though, and I can't put those rusty rotors back on like that. 

To the MACHINE!  

Now that those rotors are all shiny, no reason to leave them outside to rust.  I may have a fleet of old, rusty, non-running, half-built, crap cars, but I keep them inside. Because I have class.

Pulled some wheelies with the John Deere and moved the trailer up, 

Hey.. This car has a dent in it.

But, after a good amount of fussing with the battery that was "known good" from the junk yard. spoiler alert, no it wasn't. 

Then stealing the tractor battery instead, it started right up and ran great!

Look at that glory! 

And tucked away for now. Also, to whoever said that the engine mounts were bad, I think you might be right...

They're in the mail.

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
1/22/19 2:01 p.m.

Got back to working on Crinkles over the weekend. 

Step one, frame needs straightening. 

I Pulled the passenger side fender off, found some goodies.

Next, looking at the 5 deg F temperatures coming up,  I moved him to the big garage, next to the pellet stove.

Notice this quality air filter adaptor. 

Ok, on to the important stuff, my brother came over on Sunday and I somehow managed to convince him to replace the Engine Mounts. 

They were a bit worn out...

Meanwhile, I stayed up top and installed the handbrake that the PO had swiped for parts. 

Then, I gutted the door. The glass was already gone so I pulled the slides and other parts as well. 

I also installed the seat belt and bolted the seat down properly. Windshield checklist is underway. 

I gotta say, having a running project that you give zero berks about is the best kind of project.

This probably isn't my most exciting thread but it is the nicest to work on.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
1/22/19 2:16 p.m.
BirgerBuilder said:

I gotta say, having a running project that you give zero berks about is the best kind of project.

This probably isn't my most exciting thread but it is the nicest to work on.

This. Period.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/22/19 3:07 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

I feel the same way about my challenge Mustang.  A running project + zero berks given = priceless no stress fun.

BirgerBuilder
BirgerBuilder Reader
1/22/19 3:10 p.m.

Also, anyone want to tell me what the 'extra' plugs go to?

Driver side:

And passenger side:

And I assume these are fog lights? 

And last question, what the hell was cut out from behind the seats? 

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EVwaijxgQtDILgfjk23q6LMq3kQ1Hg7irBf9oLIN1TcFXOUeJKl6O24yPAiR2I3k