1 2 3 4 5
java230
java230 SuperDork
5/3/17 10:17 a.m.

Get yourself some flush cutters. Never a sharp end again.

Amazon $6.25

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
5/11/17 10:36 p.m.

I had the car into our trades campus and they did a number of items for me:

• Weld up the missing weld on the cage
  • Weld a cross brace to make up for the one I removed to fit the seat
  • Inspection - I need rotors all around and new axles.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
5/11/17 10:45 p.m.

On the weekend I attended the 2017 Lanark Highlands Forest Rally near Ottawa, as a volunteer. Ottawa has been seeing unbelievable amounts of rain. We were lucky to not lose any stages, but it was close. See below for example of water!!!

While I was down there I was able to acquire some needed parts:

• 2 complete sets of axles (no pic)
  • Recovery strap and shackles

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
5/11/17 10:46 p.m.

Parts haul continues - this rather important item was waiting for me when I arrived home tonight:

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 New Reader
5/13/17 6:24 p.m.

How much did that run you? I need an intercom solution myself

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
5/14/17 1:25 a.m.
Gaunt596 wrote: How much did that run you? I need an intercom solution myself

I managed to get it used for $175 CAD. Which in my mind is a pretty damn good deal. Seeing is there around $300 USD, plus shipping new.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
5/20/17 8:06 p.m.

I had to pull the seat back out to paint the seat mounts, so while I was in there I decided to do a little spruce up of the interior.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
5/20/17 8:10 p.m.

So the last rally I went to was more than a little wet:

This is my current set-up for an air intake:

I need some ideas of what to do. The car was rallied for 10 years like this, but I was thinking that I need something better. Get a stock air box and mod it to fit this intake or just get some more aluminum and make up an air box?

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
5/23/17 10:36 p.m.

Finished up most of the interior work tonight. Seats in, and harnesses in. Still have to do roll cage padding and intercom:

Next up - axles, fluids, re-mount front and rear skid plates.

4 1/2 weeks to MLRC Rallysprint.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
5/24/17 10:17 p.m.

Got in the car, put the harness on and then located this. Decided to offset it to the co-drivers side to keep it away from the roof vent, but keep it within reach.

java230
java230 SuperDork
5/25/17 9:44 a.m.

Looks good!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
5/25/17 3:58 p.m.
java230 wrote: Looks good!

Thanks - making progress is feeling good, after a long winter of limited progress.

Gaunt596
Gaunt596 New Reader
5/25/17 4:00 p.m.

For the intake, I'd either box it in with aluminum, and then run some weatheratripping along the top to seal it to the hood, or go Safari Rally style and make yourself a snorkel from PVC pipe, 3 or 3.5"

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/17 9:03 p.m.

Cool car. I'm in to follow the adventure!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
5/31/17 10:57 p.m.

Off to the muffler shop for a resonator. I think I have to make a 95dBa sound limit and with just a cat, this thing is loud!!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/7/17 11:02 p.m.

Back from the shop. Old friend of my dad's fixed me up with a decent resonator at a great price. As he said, "It's a race car, can't make it too quiet!"

Entry sent and paid for first event. Rallysprint on Jun 24!

java230
java230 SuperDork
6/7/17 11:59 p.m.

Awesome!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/8/17 11:40 p.m.

Re mounted the rear underbody skid plate.

I made some plates so the bolts don't pull through the floor.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/11/17 9:31 p.m.

This weekend was designated to hit the last major job that I have to do. Both axles are shot. So read up on the process in my downloaded shop manual, and get under the car. Right side went well and in only a few hours, minty new RF axle:

On to the left, and this is where the E36 M3 hit the fan.

To pull the axles on a 00 Civic you have to pop the lower ball joints out. My ball joint separating tool wasn't budging them, so I hit it with my 36" breaker bar, only to have this as a result:

Yeah the bolt is bent and the threads are borked. Oh well - time for a BFH! Finally got it out of the control arm, however now the ball joint is a mess. Pull the whole knuckle, head to the parts place and then off to work (my vice is too small). More BFH action eventually gets the ball joint out. Put new one in, drive home and realize that I just put it in upside down! D'oh!!!

Back to work, press out the new one, put it in the right way and back home. Install it:

Finish up just in time as the wife's Cabriolet has to get inside before the rain starts.

Now, I just have a bunch of small jobs. Mount spare tire(s), mount tool box in trunk, install First Aid kit, rear mudflaps, etc.

MLRC Rallysprint in 13 days!!!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/15/17 10:41 p.m.

Bolted up the subframe for the skidplate

New Oil and Filter. Changed the MT fluid. Also applied for Rallysprint license, purchased First Aid Kit and re-certified the Fire Extinguishers. The list is getting shorter!

Oh and I picked this up off Kijiji for $50!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/18/17 9:57 p.m.

One step forward and two steps back . . . . . .

After changing the oil, I realized the PO stripped the oil drain plug. I put a 14mm X 1.25 helicoil in it and I'm going to put another load of fresh oil in it tomorrow. I hope it doesn't leak!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/20/17 11:36 a.m.

So far so good - no leaks visible!

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/20/17 9:20 p.m.

Sunday it rained, so I tackled an inside task. Comms and HANS posts installed.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/20/17 9:22 p.m.

Tonight it was back to the car list. Getting down to the last few small jobs.

Skid Plate

Rear Mud Flaps

java230
java230 SuperDork
6/20/17 10:07 p.m.

I like that skid plate, should be beefy with that frame above it!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ibGjBKnbZOBlzS0FXpJbw1NYBxz8eYkIsCKJ0FGQuGZlMbWyioYmAee5R6wH1qMg