NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/16 9:36 p.m.

The name should be obvious:

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/26/16 9:46 p.m.

Niiiice

So what's the backstory here? Clearly a rally cage, and gravel tires on it, but offhand I don't spy a skidplate or light mounts or (obviously) any decals/numbers/etc. So is this a new/fresh build, or is it a veteran car with a respray and still things to do?

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/16 9:57 p.m.

So I was selling my 05 WRX Project to fund this. The guy who bought it asked me to deliver it. We worked out a deal for extra for delivery. I borrowed my buddy's tow rig and away we went. Left home at 9:30 am. Arrived in Toronto early at 3:45 (meet was for 5 pm):

First stop Toronto and being a good Canadian of course the meet was arranged for a Tim Horton's Parking Lot:

WRX delivered and off-loaded!

Next stop - overnight in Ottawa at my brother's place. No pics - drive sucked E36 M3. Left Toronto at approx. 4:30 and it took me until 11:10 to make Ottawa. 3 hours in traffic in Toronto. 13 hours and 40 minutes of driving on day 1!

Up at 6 am the next morning for Lantier QC (about an hour north of Montreal). This was about a 3 hour drive, through the beautiful winding roads of the Laurentiens. Met the seller looked over the car, quick test drive and the deal was made.

Seller didn't tell me about all the stuff that came with the car:

• 16 tires (most on rims - 8 strapped to front of trailer, 4 in truck and 4 more in trunk of car.
  • Spare hood, rear skidplate (strapped down underneath car), spare trunk lid (in car), spare side glass, 3 bins of spare parts. spare steering rack, 2 doors (kind of made the aerodynamics suck!!!), front skidplate and frame, light bar, etc. All loaded!!! The only thing I left behind was a rear glass.

Heading for home! Arrived home at 6:20 pm. Day 2 was 12 hours and 20 minutes. A nice round 26 hours of driving, loading over 2 days. Another 2 hours spent unloading and returning the tow rig!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/26/16 10:00 p.m.

wow, nice score!

So what's the competition history of the car? I assume its a CARS logbook/history?

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/16 10:01 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Niiiice So what's the backstory here? Clearly a rally cage, and gravel tires on it, but offhand I don't spy a skidplate or light mounts or (obviously) any decals/numbers/etc. So is this a new/fresh build, or is it a veteran car with a respray and still things to do?

Veteran car - caged since 2005 - here are the log book pics:

Shop built cage

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/16 10:05 p.m.
irish44j wrote: wow, nice score! So what's the competition history of the car? I assume its a CARS logbook/history?

Unfortunately - it's a replacement log book, but it does show in the logbook that it was run in the Coupe de Quebec (regional 2wd) in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011.

It was run last at Rallye Sanair in 2014. The guy I bought it from was running track days with it. He decided that rallies were too much $$$'s.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/16 10:07 p.m.

My wife woke up the next morning to find this in the driveway!!!

Yeah, well not really my style!!

That's better!

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
6/26/16 10:08 p.m.

lol.....I keep seeing that too....I'm gonna get 6 hours of track time at VIR in august in Chumpcar for about $500 total cost when split with the other 3 drivers vs. Black River Stages will probably cost me $1500 all told since I don't ask my codriver to pay for anything other than splitting hotel rooms :/

java230
java230 Dork
6/26/16 10:19 p.m.

looks like a killer deal. Following along.

It should have been named Hairy Ballstien though.....

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/16 10:22 p.m.

So the to do list:

• Seats and belts are expired, but I took care of part of that equation last fall - that is an OMP TRS-e XL (largest FIA rated seat that I can find - remember I am 6'4" and about 320)

• Driver's seat has got to move back and down. There is lots of room in the cage to do so.
  • Raise the car up on the coilovers
  • install skidplate and skidplate frame
  • install rear skidplate
NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/26/16 10:26 p.m.

Unfortunately all of the regional rallies this year are either too soon (Galway-Cavendish Forest Rally - July 9) or in the case of the Black Bear Rally, I had already agreed to be the Chief Safety Officer/Car 00 Co-driver and can't back out.

So for this year prep and plan on running a couple of Rally-X in Sept./Oct.

Next year Rallysprint and hopefully a couple of regionals (GCFR and BB).

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
6/26/16 10:43 p.m.

So this is apparently a 200 Hp JDM ITR engine! Casting numbers confirmed that they are correct for what I was told. WooHoo!

EDIT - PO was full of E36 M3 - It's not an ITR engine - It's a JDM B16A - still has the good head and is a 172 Hp engine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
6/27/16 6:56 a.m.

2005? It's barely broken in!

What's the deal with suspension for these? Hondas seem like a good choice from a cost perspective, but I know nothing about what one does to get some travel/longevity out of the suspension.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
6/27/16 10:53 a.m.

In reply to NGTD:

What's with the two different colors ? Not the same cars ?

ClassicHondaGuy
ClassicHondaGuy New Reader
6/27/16 2:55 p.m.

Neat car, but please tell me that's not a genuine EM1!?

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/27/16 4:37 p.m.
iceracer wrote: In reply to NGTD: What's with the two different colors ? Not the same cars ?

Same car - resprayed by the guy I bought it from.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/27/16 4:39 p.m.
ClassicHondaGuy wrote: Neat car, but please tell me that's not a genuine EM1!?

I'm not a Honda guy, what's an EM1?

AntiArrhythmic
AntiArrhythmic Reader
6/27/16 5:01 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

EM1 = 99-00 Civic Si (SiR in Canada)

rustysteel
rustysteel Reader
6/27/16 6:52 p.m.

I was following the sale of your Subaru on MCO, nice find looks like you got what you were looking for. I'm still trying to sell my MINI...

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
6/27/16 6:58 p.m.

This is the first time I've approved of a non-hatch Civic.
Cool.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
6/27/16 7:03 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Niiiice So what's the backstory here? Clearly a rally cage, and gravel tires on it, but offhand I don't spy a skidplate or light mounts or (obviously) any decals/numbers/etc. So is this a new/fresh build, or is it a veteran car with a respray and still things to do?
JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
6/27/16 7:11 p.m.

Damn thats awesome.....

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
6/27/16 7:32 p.m.
NGTD wrote: So this is apparently a 200 Hp JDM ITR engine! Casting numbers confirmed that they are correct for what I was told. WooHoo!

I thought something seemed different about this picture, nice score! I dig the pumpkin color actually.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/27/16 8:45 p.m.
AntiArrhythmic wrote: In reply to NGTD: EM1 = 99-00 Civic Si (SiR in Canada)

It's a real Civic SiR.

Vin decoder says EM115Y - Civic Si

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
6/27/16 8:47 p.m.
rustysteel wrote: I was following the sale of your Subaru on MCO, nice find looks like you got what you were looking for. I'm still trying to sell my MINI...

Your Mini looks really nice. I find that the problem is that in that price range you are in the difficult situation where the car is too old for financing, and most buyers don't have the cash. It's a PITA really.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xn1193gAhzt5b1WmtZDGDzG8OxE3FU8ytvBQ8G9f8AkQHvbA5rndvAtxnh87Mn36