1 2 3 4 5
WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
12/10/15 10:44 p.m.

It requires some machining to make it work, but yeah I have to have at least the top end (heads/intake/blower) with a few other odds and ends. Without being able to run an intercooler, I wouldn't want to run it on my setup since it is 11:1 compression and would heat soak like a mofo anyway lol!

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
12/12/15 9:34 a.m.

Did some repairs to the harness loom and started plugging things in. I feel like my knees have been hyper-extended from leaning over the fender for so long...

Really wish I had been able to spring for the Painless Performance wire loom that isn't this crazy plastic, but that will have to wait for later a later project with fresh connectors and all that fun stuff.

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
12/15/15 1:01 a.m.

Finally got the spindles opened up to accept the MASSIVE CTS-V 6-piston brakes. Spindles are currently drying from a few coats of primer. While waiting on that, I prepped the UMI Performance Inc. front control arms and loosely installed them in the k-member and pointed the zerk fittings out to where I could easily service them.

Still waiting on a set of 18" wheels, have to send out my injectors to get cleaned and a list of other items. A whole lot less boxes filled with parts though. This thing is getting closer...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/15 7:03 a.m.

I love shiny new parts.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/15 10:00 a.m.

So this is a 300hp NA 3800?

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
12/15/15 1:53 p.m.
Harvey wrote: So this is a 300hp NA 3800?

That's the ballpark. We'll see if I manage to get it close or not. Gotta get it running, tuned and then on the dyno to finalize it.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
12/15/15 3:23 p.m.

Wow nice build. I really like the face lifted 4th gen Firebird. I like that you retained the 3800.

Can't wait to see your finished result.

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
12/16/15 12:51 a.m.

Thanks, looking forward to getting it finished as well!

Not blazing through it, but getting some of the finer points taken care of. Finished spraying the spindles, should be able to install those sometime tomorrow.

Finished connecting some of the harness to the trans. Installed the longtubes for a temporary fitment check with the new exhaust. More on that soon.

Test fit the UMI A-Arms, they're pretty nice, and finished setting up the Global West upper control arms that were modified by Blaine Fabrication.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
12/16/15 1:56 a.m.

Diggin your ride.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
12/16/15 3:27 a.m.

Nice!

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
12/16/15 9:57 p.m.

Kinda got stalled on a few things that took longer than I had really hoped to, but it's down to just chipping away at it all now.

I need to find longer shock bolts for the A-arms, I forgot that I had read a thread awhile back, so I need to go to the local hardware store tomorrow after work.

Exhaust is just loosely mocked up, will install rear end and stuff when I get a chance in the next few days.

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
12/20/15 12:50 a.m.

Made some nice progress today!

Rear axle assembled, e-brake lines run, installed and loosely bolted in with UMI Performance Inc. Torque Arm and Poly/Roto-joint rear LCA's.

Drive shaft is installed, have to reconnect the rear brake lines (notice the stainless axle to chassis line?), sensor harness, mount up the springs and swaybar from Strano Performance as well as the Fays2 Watts Link. After that, it's back to the front suspension while I wait on a few last ditch items!

JAhmed
JAhmed Reader
12/20/15 3:31 p.m.

Cool build, the brakes look awesome!!!

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
12/24/15 7:36 a.m.

Thanks

Well, I got a phone call with some bad news about my injectors. I bought those things after the completion of my last build, supposed to be LS6 injectors all around. Turns out 2 of them weren't the same, were of a different part number even though they looked exactly alike externally. The guy doing the match/cleaning found them to range from 240cc to 270cc in flow after cleaning and when he couldn't figure out why the flow was so far out of spec, he noticed the part #'s were different.

This explains a few things that I had noticed while doing scans w/ HPTuners where my fuel trims would bounce around a ton. I might just get some injectors to handle the necessary flow for E85 (something around 42lb/hr).

I'll post up whatever transpires.

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
12/28/15 11:14 a.m.

Update on the injector stuff. I'm getting a killer deal from the owner of Fuel1 on a set of brand new Bosch 0280158227 injectors. These are rated at 36 lb/hr, flow matched and ready to go. I'll have to swap to a newer style connector on the harness, but that's not too bad of an ordeal with how direct plugin adapters are pretty common on the market nowadays.

Otherwise, I'm snowed in for the next few days (not something I'd expect to say here in Texas) so I'll probably brave the cold temps in the garage (currently 26°F outside in the sunlight) and maybe try to bolt a few things together like the front and rear swaybar assembly, test fit a few other items and make some measurements.

Still need to get a nice set of 18" wheels and sell my 17" Speedlines, gonna have to get the tires off of them and clean them up before I post them FS. They might be the only set of the Mistral 6's left in existence, so it's hard to tell how much to list them for...

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
1/6/16 1:12 a.m.

A little bit of progress tonight. Very cold in the garage but finished the front suspension entirely. I need to go run some errands tomorrow including getting the rotors honed to fit over the hubs.

Shout out to Keith from Fuel1 Injector Services for sending me some high quality injectors after my last fiasco that I had posted before.

Need to run the front brake lines, ABS harness and then install rear swaybar and watts link tomorrow!

CTS-V Two-piece rotors up front, there's more clearance than what you see in the picture. The caliper was just loosely bolted into place, with it level with the upright, it had plenty of clearance. Going to head out to get the rotors honed in the morning...

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
1/8/16 1:34 a.m.

Well today was the good old birthday and got to spend my day off trying to tie up all the loose ends on the car. Waiting on the last little bits of things here and there.

Got the brake rotor hubs opened up by a local shop, D&S Machine did them for $20/ea, not bad considering how much it can cost hourly on for general work in a machine shop.

The 36lb/hr injectors are installed, waiting on the plug-in adapters. I've already spliced in the EV1 connectors from the mismatched "LS6" injectors, and I don't want to do more splicing on this harness if I can avoid it.

Working on installing this Watts link has been an absolute PITA. Bought it used from somebody and apparently they lost the shims that go in the clamshell spot for the axles. Should have just bought it new and never looked back...

Still waiting on wheels...

Still have to do: • Rear swaybar

• watts link.

• header mods.

• plugs/wires.

• PCV re-route to catch can.

• UMI Driveshaft loop.

• Fluids and bleed/burp system.

• Wheels/tires.

• Have a local shop tie in the last part of the exhaust.

mbruneaux
mbruneaux New Reader
1/8/16 5:44 a.m.

Very very nice.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
1/8/16 8:37 a.m.

Coming along nicely! Are you able to use the stock master with the brake swap?

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
1/8/16 9:59 a.m.
NOT A TA wrote: Coming along nicely! Are you able to use the stock master with the brake swap?

Yeah, master is the same piston diameter. Though, we'll see how it all works out, ABS system on the F-body is a little...slow.

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
1/8/16 9:45 p.m.

Dead day today so I added horsepower mods to my tuning laptop:

Got in some slip on turn downs for my headers until I can get the whole exhaust connected since I'm using a system intended for an LSx powered F-body. *This is so it doesn't piss off my PCM for reading it being too lean due to reversion at the collector and killing the car in traffic when it starts dumping fuel... I had it happen a few years ago, lesson learned.

Also so that I can direct the sound more diagonally instead of straight down. No more brown note for me!

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
1/9/16 4:00 p.m.

When going from full exhaust to header dumps - do you find you need to re-tune the computer?

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
1/9/16 5:06 p.m.

When it's so close to the O2 sensors, yeah it would be a good idea. I've never had a chance to dyno tune it, but I did experience false knock due to the noise generated by this thing on the dyno w/ open headers.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
1/13/16 5:41 p.m.

In reply to WarShrike:

Thanks for the input. We (son and I) have a 2000 Impala 9C1 with the 3800. We went a best of 128mph at the Ohio Mile (with almost all runs at 125mph). We want to go 135 - and are looking at one of the mods as going with a cut out a few inches past the cat (convertor), in addition to a few other tweaks, without adding nitrous.

WarShrike
WarShrike New Reader
1/17/16 9:49 p.m.

Now that's something I'd like to go take part in!

Forgot I did this awhile back, got to spend some quality time with my daughter in the garage, took a timelapse run of it with the gopro. Hadn't done this before so it was essentially a test run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZkts_Yv85Q

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vfrMywoykayY1aBJaTVAGkUciH8KjgQoDGacXo6G4hQ4TLzyLFvhPaKQs5tFRv4L