1 ... 8 9 10 11
Mrfurzzy
Mrfurzzy New Reader
11/24/22 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Lil_Stampie :

What about a honda J32? It may be difficult to find something that hasn't been done before in a miata. A toyota 1UZ would also be a cool engine. Gingium on youtube has one in a mazda truck and it seems to be fairly reliable and makes good power.

Lil_Stampie
Lil_Stampie GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/25/22 12:37 a.m.

In reply to Mrfurzzy : 

that would be cool, they already push around 300 stock so that would be enough for a fun time in a miata. they fit the engine bay pretty well also, would have to see what trans i would need i dont think a stock trans or diff would hold up to that

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/25/22 1:08 a.m.

Honestly get a good 1.6 or 1.8 and enjoy it as a stockish Miata for a while.  Then if you want to do a unique swap, you can take your time, get a spare front x member, mock it all up etc.  

Lil_Stampie
11/25/22 1:27 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

thats the plan, i need to stop getting ahead of myself lol i havnt even gotten the block out

Lil_Stampie
11/25/22 2:57 a.m.

there are 1uz to w58 adapters for a reasonable price. engine shouldnt be had to junkyard

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
11/25/22 11:15 a.m.

I think a local drifter had a 1uz in his Miata. Had 8 little flapper capped exhausts and no hood. Was cool to see, sounded glorious. Wasn't street legal tho so probably couldn't be replicated easily. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/22 11:39 a.m.
Lil_Stampie said:

there are 1uz to w58 adapters for a reasonable price. engine shouldnt be had to junkyard

I know someone that can sell you a w58.  They might even give you the friends and family discount of 2% off.

Lil_Stampie
11/25/22 9:47 p.m.

ive watched about 5 hours of a 1uz swap into a miata, if im gonna do a 1uz i'll probably just get another miata. you have to cut the unibody and hood to get it to fit, would also need a different rear diff but i really do like the idea of a street legal 1uz miata. theres about 5 cars in the junkyards so it should be easy to go out and grab one

Mrfurzzy
Mrfurzzy New Reader
11/25/22 10:08 p.m.

It's always a good feeling when a single post sends you spiraling down a rabbit hole

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/28/22 11:03 a.m.

I like the idea of a 1UZ Miata. I've looked into it a bit. Overall I am considering/planning a V8 Miata in the somewhat near future. It does seem that the question is always what transmission to use. 

I'm mostly between LS swap or 302 swap, though the 1UZ is sweet. I also was thinking about a Ford 460... Just because a 7.5L Miata would be nuts. 

Lil_Stampie
11/29/22 2:54 a.m.

i starting to like the idea of a 1uz a60 supra...

already has a w58, can handle the horsepower. 

all with the iconic 80s japanese look

Lil_Stampie
12/3/22 3:56 p.m.

i had alot of help today, got about 3 months of work done in 3 hours, we got the exhaust, intake, alternator and power steering off. sorry for the short explanation im tired here are the pics

Stampie
12/3/22 5:25 p.m.

Why is your Miata stuff in in my K30?  Ok I admit that lowest trim panel is my Miata stuff in my K30 but notice both are "my".

Lil_Stampie
12/13/22 4:53 p.m.

got ac, and starter out it should just be motor mounts and trans bolts to pull it

12/14/22 6:49 a.m.

Looking good!  Carry on!  You get this done one bolt and one wiring connector at a time.  Continue the hands on learning.

Lil_Stampie
2/1/23 3:46 p.m.

got the engine out yesterday, it was pretty easy just motor mounts and bellhousing bolts.

pulling an engine on dirt isnt easy so we made this little crane contraption thing

Stampie
2/1/23 5:36 p.m.

What he isn't admitting is I tried to get him to come up with a game plan before that point. He choose to wing it. 

More pictures of the shenanigans. 

2/1/23 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

As long as he is safe letting him learn a few things his own way is always best!  Good job to you both! 

Stampie
2/1/23 8:57 p.m.

I give him a hard time but I'm proud of him for doing this.  Was cool back in December watching him teach his friends stuff.  

2/2/23 7:33 p.m.
Stampie said:

I give him a hard time but I'm proud of him for doing this.  Was cool back in December watching him teach his friends stuff.  

I hope he reads this and understand how genuinely cool it is to hear your dad use the word "proud."  After 11 years in a job where no one ever says "good job," I'm having a hard time adjusting to the opposite.  I like watching this from afar and am happy for both of you.  You are building a car and real memories at the same time.  I want to see the silly smiles on your faces the first time you take it for a drive!

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/2/23 7:41 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
Stampie said:

I hope he reads this and understand how genuinely cool it is to hear your dad use the word "proud."  After 11 years in a job where no one ever says "good job," I'm having a hard time adjusting to the opposite.  I like watching this from afar and am happy for both of you.  You are building a car and real memories at the same time.  I want to see the silly smiles on your faces the first time you take it for a drive!

^ This 1000x

Stampie
2/4/23 1:53 p.m.

He'll update later but his engine smells like ass. 

Lil_Stampie
2/4/23 6:37 p.m.

got the engine completely torn down today. the oil was nasty, like gagging type nasty. it had metal in it and looked as if it had never been changed.

when we started looking at the bearings you could definitely tell that it got hot but #4 definitely looked the best, that makes sense because it was the only one with compression (10psi)

(#1 is on the right #4 on the left)

all of the cylinders looked pretty okay, was kinda supprised with #4 the bottom compression ring had melted into the piston a little

should be picking up a new engine tommorow

Nice progress.  Good to see you working side by side with Dad.  Good luck on the new engine.

Lil_Stampie
2/5/23 6:52 p.m.

engine has been delayed to next weekend

1 ... 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XWVsYzI9ymGqvRKx7q93Na5LWVYXQEQ8Na4K57uYEl8wbhe9voVynQ2ne36WTpaS