1 2 3
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/25/21 5:50 a.m.

Well its out with the old and in with the new. Picked up this complete (running and driving) mustang gt for 300 bucks. 

The goal is simple. Go fast. The 2022 build starts now. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/21 6:24 a.m.

Well-bought, the wheels alone are worth $300!

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/25/21 7:20 a.m.

In reply to dj06482 (Forum Supporter) :

Meh i paid $50 for my last set.  

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/25/21 8:32 a.m.

Calvin said the same thing about the wheels. They aren't worth what most people think. Played out and very common. A few years back you could get them new for around 200 bucks for a set when they ran the sale on 17x8s. Doesn't matter though as these wheels will not be used. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/25/21 6:44 p.m.

since we are starting clean slate and ditching a lot of stuff from the previous build, there are a few key items i have been on the lookout for. today i picked up a few. for 50 bucks total i got a tbss/09+ truck intake with rails and injectors, a random truck water pump, and a set of used mickey thompson radials. also some misc. 3 bolt cam gears and stock chains.

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/21 6:50 p.m.

That's a hell of a deal! 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/25/21 6:53 p.m.

removed the ls1 intake and ebay rails and lines from the budget as i sold them to cruisermatt. well the intake at least. either way i opened up about 100 bucks on my budget via the drivetrain. also picked up my new motor today for 200 bucks. iron gen 3 5.3.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/25/21 7:33 p.m.

Thanks for making room at Trigonia. Glad we could help laugh

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/25/21 7:39 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

Calvin said the same thing about the wheels. They aren't worth what most people think. Played out and very common. A few years back you could get them new for around 200 bucks for a set when they ran the sale on 17x8s. Doesn't matter though as these wheels will not be used. 

I am planning a Crown Vic at some point.  Are the wheels in decent shape?  I might want them if you're interested in getting rid of 'em

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
10/25/21 8:50 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

Yeah I like actual dished Torq-Thrust 15s but all those other variants are super-played and dull to me. In like 2010 they were everywhere.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/25/21 9:33 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

They are already gone lol

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
10/25/21 10:36 p.m.

Dang how come I never find running driving V8 Mustangs for $300 cheeky

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/21 10:56 p.m.

In reply to Patrick (Forum Supporter) :

OEM or replicas?  OEM should be about a minimum of 200 with no tires (or bald tires).

Agent98
Agent98 Reader
10/26/21 1:32 p.m.

Hey there,

I bought one new in 2001. Stock it ran 14.29 in the quarter, added a timing adjuster, under drive pullies, Dr gas x pipe and got a 13.89 . good car but I hated the overstuffed seats, and the hard, shiny plastic interior. Traded it in on a leftover ls1 formula in 2003.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/27/21 6:17 a.m.

First trade successful. The car came with a brand new 03/04 cobra front bumper and i traded it for a stock gt bumper, fenders, a set "starfish" gt wheels with tires and a set of headlights. Now im only 1 panel away from having all of the body panels and still have a zero budget. 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
10/27/21 6:35 a.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

This is all happening way too fast. 

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
10/27/21 9:07 a.m.

Wow, awesome buy! I love/hate these cars (still own a supercharged '04). 

I've been casually looking for one to build into a winter beater 'battle car' but haven't found anything sub $2000 for ages -- running or not. It seems around here anything with GT attached to the name is overpriced, especially w/ all the rust they carry in SE MI. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/27/21 9:51 a.m.

In reply to enginenerd :

It can be really hit or miss. the bright side of living in florida is that im almost positive the most abundant sports car is a mustang. They are literally everywhere. I just bought a complete 1996 cobra last night for 1500 bucks. i think the motor is locked up but i bought it and immediately sold it within minutes for 2k. i offer to trade parts that i know are worth something to one of the 3 companies down here that part mustangs out and i generally get a pretty good deal on the trades. 

I am not sure where you are located but i would look down here. you can always find a GT for cheap. i will say the new edges generally have a higher price, but its possible. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/27/21 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

I have no time to spare. I want to get this thing done and running ASAP so i can test and have ample time to change anything and avoid a disaster like i had at this years challenge. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/27/21 10:07 a.m.

I didn't get a chance to meet you at the challenge, but your RX-7 looked super cool.  Sorry you had all the troubles.  I did appreciate that your wife had the perfect spot in the baby stroller for the jump pack.  Resourceful.

Looks like you're off and running here.  Good stuff!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/27/21 12:42 p.m.

I agree, getting this going ASAP is a good plan.  Sorry that my heavy duty jumper cables didn't provide enough boost to get you going. 

BTW, I'm close by you in DeLand. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/27/21 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

its ok, i appreciate the help. We wound up getting it going a few hours later to make its final run on the drag strip. I still have your number and the powerglides. 

I really enjoyed the "get it going 40mph" story as well. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
11/26/21 3:51 p.m.

Went to the turkey rod run swap meet today in daytona and came back with a nice haul of parts! 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
11/28/21 1:33 p.m.

Not sure if ill use it. But for 100 bucks i got this 4 inch lift off cowl hood with 6 dzus fittings for the mustang. Its an unnecessary expense that i dont need but if i have the room id like to get the extra weight off the front end. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
11/28/21 8:14 p.m.

Well today i got all my rear end styff swapped. In order to recoupe my rear end purchase i needed to swap over the guts from the housings. So now i have a stock new edge housing ill be able to sell for what i paid.

Confirmed they were in fact 31 spline axles. So now i can make some decent power. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WMxbjgNuDc8kh9FuF26bQRR9x5ecWrufQKxgWPR8CL5svlAntQDNVHCKNCFttEDc