In reply to sleepyhead :

no way in hell. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/26/19 6:30 a.m.
captainawesome said:

2100 LBS

Can you remove the door bars?

That is TBD. It was up to a vote and we were split on taking them out. We may take out all but the drivers intrusion bar.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/26/19 7:57 a.m.

2500 after the cage is in

kevinatfms
3/29/19 7:08 a.m.

Fire system showed up. Also, new DOM cage was delivered. So with everything delivered we are ready for safety installs!

Thanks Fedex. Came home to pipes just laying all over the place. Pretty sure they scratched my garage door.

kevinatfms
4/3/19 9:41 a.m.

Roll cage rear view mirror came in. Hope to get enough clearance for the tallest driver we have so that everyone has a good view of behind us(we will get passed alot).

Headed over to the shop today to drop off the DOM cage, fire suppression system, rear mirror and some other minor things. Plan is to start cutting the insulation off the floor today and finish the last door gut. Cut the 2" holes for the main hoop to slide through to get the halo fully welded.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/3/19 10:12 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

what mirror is that?  that'd be nice to have for the TL... and looks a lot better than those 3-mirror slanted setups

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/3/19 10:23 a.m.
sleepyhead said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

what mirror is that?  that'd be nice to have for the TL... and looks a lot better than those 3-mirror slanted setups

Amazon special. Its for a UTV with 1-3/4" tubing. Its $17.99 with Prime shipping. Here is a link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0HAWOT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its very good quality for what i assume is Chinese made and the brackets for hoop attachment are aluminum.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/19 1:21 p.m.

#2690 once cage is in. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/3/19 2:59 p.m.
kevinatfms said:
sleepyhead said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

Amazon special. Its for a UTV with 1-3/4" tubing. Its $17.99 with Prime shipping. Here is a link:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0HAWOT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its very good quality for what i assume is Chinese made and the brackets for hoop attachment are aluminum.

Same one I have for my champcar.  Works well!

kevinatfms
4/4/19 5:36 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
kevinatfms said:
sleepyhead said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

Same one I have for my champcar.  Works well!

How does it do with vibration? Any fuzzyness under WOT? I was worried that it didnt have any sort of stabilization of the lens assembly compared to the brackets. Ive had add on rear view mirrors before that basically turned into a "squinting required to see" type rear view. Usually end up just removing it and going back to the OE windshield version. On this car since the cage is in the way i wouldnt know what else to tack on there to see behind us.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/4/19 5:58 a.m.

Ours is nice and steady.

kevinatfms
4/8/19 6:11 a.m.

Got some more work done yesterday. Removed the dash bar for modification, removed the heater/air con unit and started pulling the wiring. Mr V is pretty handy with the plasma cutter(dont mind the crocs) so he cut off all the extra bracketry from the dash bar.

Welp, got almost all the insulation on the floors removed. It came apart with a hammer and chisel pretty easily. No dry ice or heat required. We will clean everything up with a wire wheel before welding to the body.

We wanted to start burning the cage in yesterday but the dash became the priority. So tomorrow, wednesday and thursday i plan on hitting the shop to grind away anything left where the cage will tie into. Then hope to start the main hoop to halo on saturday.

kevinatfms
4/23/19 12:55 p.m.

Two weeks off has been too long. Time to get some work done this weekend. Going to remove the rest of the insulation, start to get the wiring sorted out and add a few small outside details. Ill post some progress hopefully on sunday.

kevinatfms
5/20/19 7:23 a.m.

Been a long time since an update. Welp, cage is finally done. Took the car to Sputnik Racing's shop in Baltimore and had an experienced cage builder do the install. He had to bend a few bars and make a new driver side harness bar but everything came out great. Car uses 1-3/4" DOM tubing with a .120 wall. Overkill for the size and weight of the car but thats what we wanted.

Main hoop and downtube being prepped.

Front A pillar bars and halo hoop welded together.

Mr. Sputnik Racing himself welding in the main hoop to halo hoop connection points.(thanks for being patient with me in the way all day long!)

Completed cage looking forward. (Note - the seat isnt bolted down yet. It had to be moved 1" to the inside of the car to fit the cage correctly. Will have to remeasure to check clearance again.)

Nascar style door bars that jut into the drivers door.

Passenger side door bars.

Main hoop and downstays for the rear. Window net to be welded in this week.

Passenger side door bars.

Very happy to finally have it done. We have a few more things to go till its 100% ready. We will be working as much as we can to get it prepped.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/20/19 8:08 a.m.

cool stuff, glad too see progress is still being made!

kevinatfms
5/20/19 9:24 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

cool stuff, glad too see progress is still being made!

Slowly but surely. Its been rough this past month due to all the scheduling conflicts. May and June are quite booked too but ill find some time to get everyone together to hopefully finish this thing.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/20/19 5:39 p.m.

Wow, Sasha got the cage in and didn't cut the roof off to do it?  He really has changed his ways!

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/19 6:46 p.m.

I was going to text you a few days ago, i was wondering how it was going.  Glad to see progress.

kevinatfms
5/21/19 5:35 a.m.
Sonic said:

Wow, Sasha got the cage in and didn't cut the roof off to do it?  He really has changed his ways!

Haha yes, he welded the halo and front legs together laying the whole thing on the floor. Cut two holes the for the main hoop to lay down in to get the halo welded to the main hoop. He did a really good job and didnt "can opener" the car. A few random slices here or there to fit the rear tubes and the NASCAR door bars on the drivers door but they were required.

He also upgraded to a really nice welder.

kevinatfms
5/28/19 7:45 a.m.

Started to paint the cage on Friday night. Went with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy in white. A few coats and it should be good.

Ill be headed to the shop this week to finish the cooling system repairs. Needs one lower radiator hose.

Also hope to start on wiring the kill switch and battery relocation.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1jiXgFxpfBmgGN2DnamNoF4YgertF7yZh0yX2s7ilrQsdtKgbxGqohqqjGcpnUj9