1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/22/19 9:02 a.m.

Windshield went in yesterday, paint for the cage is almost done, Mr. J stickered the car up a bit for fun and my basement flooded all within the past week. We got progress going bit by bit. 
Pics coming shortly(on my laptop and its a pain)

kevinatfms
6/22/19 9:10 a.m.

Flooded basement due to window well filling with water. Had to repair that and now have to replace all the carpet in our basement. Sucks. We got 2.5" of rain in under 3 hours. The improperly installed drain system was no match for that much water in that little time.

Carpet fan can only do so much. Carpet is toast. So 1260sq/ft of carpet in bound.

And here is the window well after some help from our assistant superintendent at my job.

So its been a whirlwind of a month. But we did get a few things done on Kim Jong Hyun this past week.

kevinatfms
6/22/19 9:16 a.m.

Now onto Hyundai pics. Windshield installed, cage paint almost done and a few other bits and bobs. Appliance epoxy is amazing for our application.

A few more coats and some patch work and it will be painted.

New windshield.

kevinatfms
6/22/19 9:25 a.m.

SHOWING OFF THE GRM SPIRIT!

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/22/19 9:31 a.m.

I can't wait to tell my mom someone made a race car out of her old Elantra. (Not literally, hers was blue, but you know what I mean.)

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
6/22/19 5:43 p.m.
kevinatfms said:

Appliance epoxy is amazing for our application.

This is relevant to my interests. Tell me more about this appliance epoxy paint.

kevinatfms
6/23/19 7:59 a.m.
akamcfly said:
kevinatfms said:

This is relevant to my interests. Tell me more about this appliance epoxy paint.

Comes in spray cans or brush/roll on. Thick as can be after a few coats and tough as nails. Its also quite cheap at Home Depot. Once it hardens its almost feels like a coating instead of just a paint. Any specifics?

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
6/23/19 8:19 a.m.
kevinatfms said:
akamcfly said:
kevinatfms said:

Comes in spray cans or brush/roll on. Thick as can be after a few coats and tough as nails. Its also quite cheap at Home Depot. Once it hardens its almost feels like a coating instead of just a paint. Any specifics?

Looking for some tough paint for my cx500 "scrambler" project gas tank (or frame, or both - not sure yet)

kevinatfms
6/24/19 9:26 a.m.
akamcfly said:
kevinatfms said:
akamcfly said:
kevinatfms said:

Looking for some tough paint for my cx500 "scrambler" project gas tank (or frame, or both - not sure yet)

its definitely tough but i wouldnt coat it on something that needs an impact resistance covering. It will take some bumps and bruises for sure. For coating a frame id go with an Eastwood frame coating.

kevinatfms
7/15/19 9:35 a.m.

Update! Cage is 100% painted. Relocated wiring harness a bit to the top of the dash bar.

Also cut a bit more of the drivers door out so that it adds about 4" clearance between the window net and the door. This will in turn give the driver a bit more elbow room and make egress easier in the event of an "oh E36 M3" moment.

Cage painted. Its a bit "bright" but looks good from the outside.

Door cut and edges folded over and painted to prevent rust.

Door closed shot. You can see the difference in clearance between the door bar and the top of the door.

Window net ready to get welded in. Bent it slowly and found an angle that works for our stubby cage.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
7/15/19 11:19 a.m.

What’s the first race you have planned?

I really dislike window nets.  Much worse visibility and more difficult egress in an emergency. 

kevinatfms
7/16/19 9:33 a.m.
Sonic said:

I really dislike window nets.  Much worse visibility and more difficult egress in an emergency. 

First endurance race will probably be:
December 7-December 8, 2019

VIRGINIA INTERNATIONAL RACEWAY: "The RVA Graphics & Wraps Enduros on North"

We will do an HPDE or two before then along with some autocross to get the car dialed in better. Hope to have it finished by the end of August and enter whatever we can shortly after. Getting time to finish this thing has been real though. One guy work 6 days a week, one guy isnt exactly mechanically inclined enough to do things on his own(he is a good basics guy and can drive) and the rest have kids(including yours truly) so we get 4-6 hours every three weeks or so to work on it.

I will be there tomorrow afternoon to finish the seat belts, seat install and mirror. One of the other guys is making the plates for the belt mounts(4x4 square with 1/2" hole) and one of the others is making the lexan windows using Cardboard Aided Design.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/16/19 9:51 a.m.
Sonic said:

Agreed, but they are required in champcar.

kevinatfms
7/19/19 7:19 a.m.
Sonic said:

They are required. And from what ive seen can save arms, legs and the occasional life if an object becomes airborne and enters the car. So even if you hate them you need to love them some bit.

kevinatfms
8/13/19 7:45 a.m.

We havent gotten time lately to work on the car. I hope to get over this weekend and finish the window net, belts and seat install. Everyone has been so busy. Slowly(VERY slowly) getting closer to running it in some kind of event(probably will be an autocross or trackcross).

kevinatfms
8/31/19 8:07 a.m.

Finally got some time to work on it. Harness belts installed(albeit a bit loose and need to be adjusted), seat has been installed and the rear view mirror is installed.

We also started on the KSport coilover install. We had some issues with the nuts and bolts of the aftermarket struts, specifically the top hats stripped coming off and one spun in the top hat bore. So spent a good hour or so destroying the top hat trying to get the struts off. We also found stripped strut bolts(strut to hub) so i had to order more hardware from Hyundai Parts Direct. Should be here by the 10th.

With all that we stopped for the night. Once the hardware comes in, we willl finish the coilover install, align the car(longacre alignment gauge) and see how it drives. We now plan to enter the car in the October 7th autocross here locally just to see how it does. Mr V or Mr M will be the driver, may be both of them. We need to start beating on the car and seeing what breaks.

So a little bit of progress. I also got the switch panel for the ignition to remove the key and cylinder lock. Get that wired in also when we finish the coilovers.

kevinatfms
9/9/19 9:11 a.m.

So annoyed with the KSport coilovers right now. They dont have the brackets for ANY of the brake lines or ABS sensor wire. They include something that looks like it should fit but are total garbage. Its a flat bent piece of steel that clamps around the damper body at the threads. Does this sound normal? First set of coilovers that ive ever had to do this with. I assume its because its a generic coilover body with whatever spring they think will work with the weight.

Thinking of going back to the Tibby struts and springs here shortly if they piss me off enough. Its nice that they were so cheap but jesus i thought they would have been better designed for something that usually cost close to $1000.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/9/19 9:33 a.m.

Just get some bilsteins and a cheap eBay coilover kit.

Boom done.  Maybe cheaper too.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/9/19 10:26 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

MINE had all the right tabs and brackets for hte Forte. I remember the ones I removed years ago they had ziptied the brake lines and wires because there weren't tabs made for them. 

kevinatfms
9/10/19 6:51 a.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Just get some bilsteins and a cheap eBay coilover kit.

Boom done.  Maybe cheaper too.

I got the KSports for $170. Doubt anything else would be cheaper. Just going back with the Tiburon struts and H&R springs for now. When the time comes we will grab some Koni inserts for the Tiburon struts and go that route.

kevinatfms
9/10/19 6:54 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to kevinatfms :

MINE had all the right tabs and brackets for hte Forte. I remember the ones I removed years ago they had ziptied the brake lines and wires because there weren't tabs made for them. 

Were they Ksports? or another brand? The past coilover kits ive installed usually have the brackets welded to the outside of the shock body in the correct locations. But those were Bilsteins or H&R coilover kits. These seem like they are generic threaded body inserts with the top and bottom mounts for a Hyundai with a few metal pieces that wrap around the threaded portion to hold the ABS line and brake line. They then just throw some springs that match the damping for the weight of the stock car.

Id rather not deal with them at this point so i talked with the guys and we are going back with the struts and springs. We will set the alignment best we can with some camber bolts and go from there. See how bad this thing eats the shoulders of the RS-RR's.

So back on the shelf with the KSports, maybe use them for another car down the road.

kevinatfms
10/4/19 6:56 a.m.

Got more done. Installed the belts, got the wiring somewhat done and put the struts back on the front with all new OE bolts. Alignment is 1/2 way done. Need a little bit more fidgeting to get everything close. Filled the cooling system back up with Engine Ice and water mix.

I talked with some of the other guys are we are going to hit this thing hard the next 3 weeks to finish it. We should make a lot of headway here this weekend and next.

Only one pic from yesterday showing the belt install. Its a 5 point latch and link from G-Force. Ill get over there this weekend and update more photos of the car out in the sun(need to start and run it for a few minutes).

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
10/4/19 9:39 a.m.

This thread gives me an itch for a lightweight Rallycross car on the cheap.

kevinatfms
10/31/19 12:31 p.m.

Been a slow few weeks. Trying to get back over to the shop to mount and relocate the battery to the trunk. Mr J is starting the rear windows this weekend by tracing them onto some cardboard which will then be transfered to the lexan.

Looks like we are not going to make it to the Champ Car race at VIR in December.....

so we are shooting for a trackcross at Summit Point sometime in December or January. Its still a lofty goal but we believe we are very close to getting it ready to fire back up. Ill try to update with photos within the next week.

kevinatfms
11/21/19 7:51 a.m.

Window net welded in. Obscured the names on the top of the car for one of the guys. He likes to be private.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DnzXyR5UQYcQiSBB5qDzXazgpdqU4B6RqOqqI1ktrbhfuS3LjGgdu9N5ZVIfpDJO