1 ... 3 4 5
ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/8/15 1:43 p.m.
Mitchell wrote: If you ever come across a stock intake and snorkel in good condition, send me a message through here or Facebook. I'll need it for my next inspection.

I don't have an airbox, but I have a few snorkels. I can put one in a flat rate box for $40 shipped.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/8/15 1:57 p.m.

Been slowly working on my 02 SVT. Car has the non HID headlamps stock. I was planning on just restoring what I had. Went through a ton of sand paper but couldn't break through what appeared to be a glaze from the factory. This picture makes them look 100x better than they were.

The "glaze"

I realized that the answer was sitting on a part out car in my driveway. A set of OEM Ford Hella HID headlamps. I had these sold for $250 but said screw it. The car has already paid for itself, I'm taking these for myself. I rarely take goodies for my personal car. They were really hazy and yellow. The guy I bought the car from said the headlights wouldn't come clean and that they were fogged from the inside. Here they are on the old car:

I forgot to snag pictures, but I ripped the female plugs from the stock headlights to wire a plug and play harness. The HID Hellas use a VW connector. If you're interested, the link to wire them Here

I used a Mothers headlight system with an extra step of 600 grit sandpaper to get the rough spots smooth. This is the final result: A true example of Ford got it right options. These headlights are awesome.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
2/8/15 3:50 p.m.

The 3M kit works REALLY well.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/8/15 6:18 p.m.

In reply to NGTD:

Agreed. Vatozone was out of the 3M kit, but I've used that kit on another set of these headlights and I think I like the Mothers kit equally.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
2/9/15 6:13 p.m.

I must have missed you getting another personal car. Challenge svt again?

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/10/15 7:10 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I must have missed you getting another personal car. Challenge svt again?

Back in October. This is why I sold the MX-6 I had. I just haven't done much to it since due to the hell of selling the MX-6 and parting out other SVTs.

Altough I bought this car for less than Challenge money, I will have around $3k once it's all said and done into this car. The Focus SVT is a predictable beast. If you look at all of the cars on Craigslist, including my car, I'd say 75% have the CEL on for the intake manifold runner control module, o2 sensor(s), and the timing over advance from the variable timing control (VCT) cam gear being slightly out of time (doesn't hurt the engine, but makes it sluggish). The average non-Ford mechanic almost always gets the timing belt wrong and can never fix that CEL. Some guys have replaced entire cylinder heads and sold cars because their mechanic said it was impossible to fix the timing belt. There is a simple fix on FocalJet that shows how to time the VCT gear.

So far for this car, I've bought the following parts that are installed or to be installed:

Rear o2 sensor (installed)

IMRC repair (done)

Timing belt set (not done)

Waterpump (not done)

Valve cover wrinkle painted (not done)

Fuel filter (not done)

Accessory Belt (not done)

Upper oil pan gasket (not done)

New Upper and Lower Rad Hoses (not done)

All three motor mounts (half done)

New (used) HID headlamps (done)

New wipers (not done)

Used low mileage SVT suspension because mine has 196k miles (not done)

Ball joints (not done)

End Links f/r (not done)

Sway bushings f/r (not done)

Front poly bushings (not done)

Bad ABS sensor (not done)

Seems like a lot of work, because it is. I have little to no time to work on this car, so I'm usually working from 8:30 to 10 at night. My older daughter is awaiting tubes for her ears, and she refuses to sleep so my garage time is down to almost zero time. I'm begging the wife to give me a full weekend in the garage to knock this list out, but if you have small children (two under 2), then you understand how difficult that is.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/15 7:42 a.m.
ScreaminE wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: I wonder if the SVT wheels fit the Fiesta? I might be in the market for some wheels to hold some R-Comps...
Pretty sure they do. Mine have great condition tires on them though, so they won't be your cheapest option. I'm going to advertise them for $400.

Turns out they do fit the Fiesta ST just fine.

Bought these locally from a guy in Pittsburgh for $500 IIRC. Maybe it was you! They had Blizzaks on them and are my winter tires. May still invest in some rims for autocross come spring.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
2/10/15 7:53 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Was not I.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/10/15 9:36 a.m.

Haha yes on the 75% have CELs on.

Mine has one on right now too, but it is for a funny intake temp sensor reading and I'm 90 percent sure if I just clear it it will stay away.

I did the timing belt on mine (was able to borrow the two tools to set the timing - 100% necessary) and I did have to set that durn intake cam twice. First time it ran like crap and had the light like you said, second time I got it right.

BeardedJag
BeardedJag Reader
2/10/15 2:02 p.m.

Turns out they do fit the Fiesta ST just fine.

Bought these locally from a guy in Pittsburgh for $500 IIRC. Maybe it was you! They had Blizzaks on them and are my winter tires. May still invest in some rims for autocross come spring.

I was not expecting them to look that good. That looks sick as hell!

beans
beans Dork
2/10/15 3:10 p.m.

Alright, I don't feel like starting a new thread for this, so I'm dumping into yours.

My roommate's girlfriend drives an '06 ST sedan. The suspension SUCKS on it. My roommate basically gave her the car a few years back, and apparently he put eibach springs on it and eibach shocks/struts. Story goes, it blew the shocks/struts out pretty quick, and they've been replaced a couple of times.... probably with off the shelf, parts store crap because they're both cheapasses. I'm not even certain if the front still has the Eibach springs on it. I just know it sucks. I hate it, they FINALLY have set aside enough money to replace them if I can convince them to not to it wrong, with cheap garbage, again.

TLDR: recommend shocks/struts. I'm thinking the KYB AGX's.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/10/15 4:14 p.m.
beans wrote: Alright, I don't feel like starting a new thread for this, so I'm dumping into yours. My roommate's girlfriend drives an '06 ST sedan. The suspension SUCKS on it. My roommate basically gave her the car a few years back, and apparently he put eibach springs on it and eibach shocks/struts. Story goes, it blew the shocks/struts out pretty quick, and they've been replaced a couple of times.... probably with off the shelf, parts store crap because they're both cheapasses. I'm not even certain if the front still has the Eibach springs on it. I just know it sucks. I hate it, they FINALLY have set aside enough money to replace them if I can convince them to not to it wrong, with cheap garbage, again. TLDR: recommend shocks/struts. I'm thinking the KYB AGX's.

I think I'd point them here: Ford Racing Kit - $250

Hal
Hal SuperDork
2/10/15 8:39 p.m.
rcutclif wrote: I think I'd point them here: Ford Racing Kit - $250

Agree, Make sure that if it has the Eibach springs on it still that they are ProKit and not the Sportline springs. The Sportlines tend to cause problems because of the amount(~2.3") they lower the car. The Focus geometry does not like more than ~1.5" lower.

Unfortunately, the easy button SVT kit won't fit that car (different strut diameters).

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
2/11/15 12:33 a.m.
rcutclif wrote: Haha yes on the 75% have CELs on.

I finally got mine to stay off after replacing both the front and rear O2 sensors with OEM replacements.

Now, I need to find out why the damn ABS light sometimes pops on.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
3/20/15 7:42 a.m.

Really not much to show, but I have been making progress. Got all new coolant hoses, including silicone hoses for the oil cooler (OEM are long discontinued). Got the old hoses off and waiting on one from the heater core to t-stat to arrive from RockAuto.

When I was under the car the other night, I found the reason the ABS light is on. Broke wire going to the left rear ABS sensor. I still need to solder that back together, but it's nice to find a simple problem.

I originally bought a Gates timing set for this car. That's a no no. The tensioner is different. The regular Zetec tensioner has a spring with half the resistance as the SVT. Just a heads up.

Got a lot to do, but I'm making some progress. I've bought a ton of parts for this car, and I'm ready to get it back on the road.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
3/23/15 2:55 a.m.

Good luck! Mine feels better than when I first picked it up almost 10 years and over 100,000 miles ago. A replacement stock suspension really worked wonders. My rear struts were an extra special state of crusty.

I don't regret getting the preassembled kit in the least. M-3000zx3a I think. Has everything you need for $350 shipped. The rear springs are a PITA to get off; FSM says to use a spring compressor, but tried two and they couldn't get in there. I just took off the outer control bolt out, and used a BFH to knock it free while a jack was under the spring. The Internet was about 50/50 on whether this is an acceptable method, but worked for me. Struts front and rear were easy.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
3/23/15 7:40 a.m.

Glad yours is driving right. I'm basically doing the same things to this one that you've done to yours, except mine has 200,000 miles of maintenance that needs attention.

I scored a low mileage (30k mile) setup from a guy down in Charlotte. They're clean as a whistle and ready to go on the car. After I get the engine stuff squared away, I'm moving on to the suspension.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Dork
4/26/15 8:26 a.m.

Timing belt done. Upper and lower oil pans re-sealed, a lot of coolant hoses, new accessory belts, and a phresh Ford blue powder coated valve cover installed. I'm going to hopefully paint and wrap the header tonight so I can refill fluids and start her up.

I'm replacing all the front and rear suspension and components as well so no test drive thus yet. Still need to redo the exhaust hanger mounts and the fuel filter as well. Ways to go but I'm getting oh so closer. Oh and the bay looks like poop. Pretty sure this car was oil sprayed. I've been cleaning and cleaning hard to reach places but I will like have to spend some serious time with some degreaser and a garden hose to make this thing look right.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Dork
5/3/15 6:20 a.m.

It runs! Really well too. All CELs gone, ABS light off after I fixed a broken wire. Still need to do the suspension work but I just wanted to drive it.

Mitchell
Mitchell UltraDork
5/3/15 11:33 p.m.

Nice! After all of the part-outs you have churned through, you have certainly earned your driver.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
5/20/15 10:28 a.m.

I just can't seem to leave well enough alone. Drove this one home from Cleveland last night. EAP version which means Recaros. I paid a bit more than all the other ones I've bought, so I'm not sure which direction to go with this one. Flipper? Part out? The Recaros alone are worth 900-1100 depending on the market. It has 159k miles with a decent amount of maintenance done however... The front end sounds like a clunk factory, the suspension is original and shot. The carrier bearing on the PS axle sings like a canary. The batter lights, CEL, traction control lights are all on. It also has some oozey rust that needs to be visually repaired before I could even attempt to sell it. Like I said, torn. Obligatory picture:

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AT9aEtRkjLHNNK3NzEAoGsr6OxgOQqA6UtyuURZT5mCkcnUkkbvzxmh6QxzcQzS7