1 ... 3 4 5
cafcwest
cafcwest HalfDork
12/10/19 3:40 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Thank to the owner of TurboTime, who commented a fix for the power steering pulsing on Facebook when I mentioned it. There is a small o-ring in the system that fails and allows a wee bit of air in the system. It cost two bucks at the dealer, took 5 minutes to replace and fixed the issue.

I threw on a new accessory belt while I was in there. 

That's a great tip, thanks! I've got an 04 FXT that I blew up at the Challenge last year that does the exact same thing.  If I ever do anything with the car again, I'll need to remember this factoid!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/10/19 7:10 p.m.

In reply to cafcwest :

How blown up? Manual or automatic? laugh

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/6/21 2:48 p.m.

Today that AC compressor broke. It made it 17 years, so I can't complain too much.

I've farmed this work out to my local garage, I can't be bothered. 

Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos)
Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/21 9:18 p.m.

These struts and shocks have been abused for the past 50k miles. It was time to replace them.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/18/21 1:37 a.m.

Right after I replaced the shocks I hit a piece of road debris (I think it was a brake caliper) doing 70mph on the highway. I *almost* dodged it. Not quite, though, and it caught the sidewall of the tire and my BBS wheel.

It's going to cost $150 to repair the scratch on the wheel, and I'm paying them $50 more to take them down to bare metal in their tank so I can check for cracks. If everything looks alright, I think I'm going to refinish them in Gunmetal grey.

11/24/21 6:54 p.m.

Been a while since I updated this, mainly becase I wasn't getting a chance to do events.

The return after 3.5 years wasn't bad:. fourth place at Hyperfest a while back.

5/7/22 4:37 p.m.

The charcoal cannister went bad, so I replaced it today. When I removed it from the frame, a good ounce of charcoal just spilled out. 

It also got new tires. Instead of going with light truck tires, I just went with passenger car all seasons.

Hyperfest is coming up in about a week. I'm guessing I'm going to lack a ton of grip.

9/28/23 5:51 p.m.

The Forester refused to turn over today. Not even a click. The battery as showing 98% charged, so I threw it on the charger until I was showing 100%. Not even a click.

I'm going to throw another battery in there to make sure, but it looks like the OEM starter from 2004 finally went bad.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/23 5:55 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

Beat it with a hammer. Do not let it go gently into the night. 

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/28/23 10:25 p.m.

Try a load tester on the battery if you have one. My wife's Pilot had the dashboard light up like a Christmas tree one day. Voltage across the terminals was perfect, but it failed miserably when I did a load test. Will give you a good idea if it's the battery or the starter.

10/2/23 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Bold of you to assume I didn't already beat it with a hammer. laugh

10/3/23 12:56 p.m.

I took a minute to look at the clutch interlock switch this morning. When I stuck my head down there, I noticed that the dongle in the aftermarket immobilizer (which came with the car when I bought it) was knocked ajar. I plugged it back in, and everything works fine again.

1. I should've started there, but I forget that it's even installed in the car.
2. It'd be great if every fix on a car took less than a minute, eh?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/23 1:35 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

But you had a good excuse to beat the starter with a hammer. 

11/5/23 7:36 p.m.

Today the shifter became  sloppy to the point that if I don't concentrate on my shifts, it's easy to get the wrong gear. I recall replacing the shifter trunnion a while back with a "lifetime" upgrade, so I wonder what went wrong this time. 

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GQQvRiwWfhNAu2j62830e49jkjD8GRJXyBhOjTKiLMooInpgLblZ1ICSrcWPyIte