1 2 3 4
bonylad
bonylad GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/5/21 9:24 a.m.

Alright. Time to start again. I recently got out of my 99 Miata. It's a awesome car but not realistic for my needs as a daily. So I ended up with this. 2005 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5.

The car is in overall good shape but needs things which are right up my alley. It has 169XXX miles in it and is an auto. The goal of the build is more a refurbishment than a build per se. I would like some wheels but the goal is to build on what's there. It has Raceland Ultimo coil overs already and rides fairly well. 

Fists steps are as always. Let's see what it needs and what I HAVE to do. Timing belt looks decent but being me I will replace it. Along with fluids and filters and general tune up services. Past that refurbishment of the headliner and interior. Next is wheels and tires along perhaps some exterior work. Flat gray plasti dip and some very slight body work. 

How she sits. 

bonylad
12/5/21 5:34 p.m.

Took the carpet out to get cleaned. Took the liberty to also clean the floor pan. So here we go!

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
12/6/21 2:21 p.m.

Never knew they made an auto RS.

Interesting.

bonylad
12/6/21 3:08 p.m.
onemanarmy said:

Never knew they made an auto RS.

Interesting.

Yeah? I did some checking before hand and apparently they did. Had me wondering as well. 

"Impreza was offered as 2.5 RS Sedan and TS Wagon, 2.5 Outback Sport Wagon, WRX Sedan and Wagon, and the new WRX STI Sedan" according to the super accurate wiki page.  

bonylad
12/7/21 11:34 a.m.

I didn't get a pic of the actual washing as it was freezing and the darn holders kept dropping the carpet. None the less. It's done. Super dirty as you can imagine. Tonight I'll go through the plastics and clean them and either tommorow or Thursday have it all sorted and back together. Need to pick up a battery terminal. 

Phone lens was fogged over. Sorry for the potato pic.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/7/21 1:34 p.m.

My 02 RS has proven to be far more fun than I had imagined.  It's a pretty well set up car as an appliance if you need a daily and it should be fairly sure footed in bad weather too.  I look forward to your updates, as I enjoy your Miata thread too.

bonylad
12/8/21 8:10 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Thank you! I look forward to owning it. The last two Impreza Wagons I had were great cars and surprisingly fun to drive and own.  Will keep ya updated!

bonylad
12/11/21 12:13 p.m.

Started the reassembly. Came out good but not as well as I had hoped. Still progress is progress. 

Has some rust on the seat mounts. Before. 

Same one after I scrapped the large pieces off and hit with a wire cup brush.  Better.

bonylad
12/13/21 11:57 a.m.

Really think I need to focus on bodywork. Maintenance of course but bodywork. I'm thinking a spray can job.....matte or low gloss gray. Little wet sanding and voila!

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/13/21 12:13 p.m.
bonylad said:

Really think I need to focus on bodywork. Maintenance of course but bodywork. I'm thinking a spray can job.....matte or low gloss gray. Little wet sanding and voila!

What am I missing? From the pictures I've seen, it appears to be a perfectly presentable car as-is.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/14/21 9:54 a.m.

I'm curious to see how this goes

bonylad
12/14/21 10:10 a.m.

In reply to obsolete :

Its a rolling E36 M3box..........the headgaskets are leaking oil externally. The rear wheel bearings are in need of service as well as general other things which my OCD demand to attend to. IDK.....it may just be me?

bonylad
12/14/21 10:11 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

AS AM I!!!!?!??!?! Lol.

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/14/21 1:40 p.m.
bonylad said:

In reply to obsolete :

Its a rolling E36 M3box..........the headgaskets are leaking oil externally. The rear wheel bearings are in need of service as well as general other things which my OCD demand to attend to. IDK.....it may just be me?

Right, all those mechanical problems are definitely important. I'd be focusing on that stuff. You're talking about needing to focus on bodywork, though, and giving the car a spray can paint job. I'm saying the car looks fine to me cosmetically and doesn't have anywhere near the level of issues where I'd consider a spray can paint job an improvement, unless it's way worse in person than it looks in pictures. I mean, it's your car; if that's your vision, then go for it.

bonylad
12/15/21 7:18 p.m.

It's basically my OCD. Paint is meh and body is meh. Needs some love. I did; however, order a crap ton of things today. Ordered a stock replacement muffler. Ordered Subaru head bolts and a head gasket kit. As well as two new rear hubs and bearings.  

Le sigh.

Usually when I spend 500-600 on parts it's to make a car faster but all I'm doing here is making it.......better?  

Woot!

bonylad
12/18/21 3:50 p.m.

Fixed a thing. 

bonylad
12/21/21 10:54 p.m.

Developed a misfire. Cylinder 3. Given the dubious maintenance on the car by the PO. I pulled the plugs. Cylinders 2 and 4 were fine. But lord cylinders 1 and 3 were E36 M3!  Oil filled tubes and damaged wires. I replaced that valve cover gasket and cleaned it all up to the best of ny time I had. Still have a miss. Fairly certain it's the wires. They all feel super mushy and in cylinder 3 it doesn't click when seated in the plug. So. I need wires. I hope. Low rpm it's fine but under load it misses. Sigh. Picking up some wires tommorow.

May pick these up as well. 

Not super sure what they are but it seems sorta Compomotive or OZ Rally style. Anyone?

12/21/21 11:31 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

I'd rallycross the heck out of those. 

bonylad
12/22/21 7:46 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Sorta the plan?  Or at least build it to be able to..................

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
12/22/21 8:07 a.m.

Paint color?  Blue

bonylad
12/22/21 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

If I had it to repaint the whole car? Sure! As is I am not sure what to do other than tidy up what is there.

bonylad
12/22/21 12:22 p.m.

Well.....misfire is fixed.  The spark plugs were part of the issue. I replaced the wires at lunch today and for the life of me the worst offender prior to replacement (cylinder 3) would not go on. Took a peek with the airbox removed and found the end of the wire (the portion which bridges to the plug and wire) stuck on the plug.  Pulled it off and voila!  Runs great!

With these wheels, I wonder what to do. 

I sorta want to put it to stock height and use these wheels with some medium aggresive tires for the rally cross look. I dont want to lift it as I dont want to have to bother with trailing arm spacers (the bolts are notorious for breaking......had to cut a hole in the last lifted wagon to put a bolt and nut through).  I figure that with some flaps will recover the lost function of the car (its too damn low) and focus on the rally pedigree.  Now will I rally it? Hell if I know. 

Nice to have options......

12/22/21 2:58 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

Do not lift it.  Locally we had an RS raised and it rolled on its side.  Owner returned it to stock ride height and it's safer and faster.  It's the black one in my build thread.

bonylad
12/22/21 4:43 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to bonylad :

Do not lift it.  Locally we had an RS raised and it rolled on its side.  Owner returned it to stock ride height and it's safer and faster.  It's the black one in my build thread.

Yep. Thats my thoughts. I mentioned I didnt want to lift it but go back to stock height. Glad to hear this isnt a bad idea!

12/22/21 5:44 p.m.

In reply to bonylad :

At stock height on stock springs my RS is a rallycross monster.  If I could drive better it is the fastest stock car locally.  I'm going to do some mild mods and do prepared next season though.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7uybShnG03s04ssDCgjkYrT0AEenF11rVwQaATxpqGsBU9LA741cIIlLbAyfbqdA