1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/8/22 1:07 p.m.

Car: 2005 Honda S2000 in Sebring Silver over Red/Black interior

Mileage: 135k

Story: It was a one owner car prior to me purchasing it in 2016. It was in an accident shortly after being purchased new in 2005. The bumper, right front feder, and right front headlight all had to be replaced in that incident and nothing  structural. Unfortunately that tarnishes its value, fortunately it means I don't feel as guilt in the planned modifications I have for it. I purchased it with 118k miles on it in the Summer of 2016. I've done a few autocrosses with it, a few track days, brought home plenty of Christmas trees in it, and mainly used it as a cruiser over the years. It's had stints of daily driver and it's been driven from Orlando to Big Bend National Park in Texas and back before. Most things have been purchased already and about to start tearing things apart. The paint is in bad shape as are the wheels and some other components

Plan: 1) Restore 2) Upgrade/update worn components 3) Make it look pretty 4) Mo powa

Body: 

• 20th Anniversary Front Bumper
  • New OEM Headlights
  • New Rear Trunk Lid

Paint: 

• Porsche Jet Green Metallic

Driveline: 

• FX 300 Clutch w/ new OEM throw out bearing, pilot bearing, dust seal, rear main seal, guide slide, and trans main seal
  • Puddymod PM Stage 2 Differential Rebuild w/ 4.10 final drive
  • Puddymod Axles
  • New Hubs w/ bearings, ARP Extended Wheel Studs

Brakes: 

• Not going crazy here, going to test out the Balladesports 4 piston front calipers with stock rotors. If I don't like those, I'll go to the Wilwood Superlites for the S2K
  • Stainless Lines
  • New Master Cylinder

Wheels:

• Apex Racing Forged VS-5RS 17x10 in Bronze at all four corners

Cooling:

• Balladesports Dual Core Aluminum Radiator

Suspension:

• I'm stuck here as I love the stock ride but hard to find stock shock/strut replacements. Add on to the fact that it's impossible to find inventory of anything from Bilstein
  • Upgraded front sway bar (undecided) 

Engine: 

• Kraftwerks S2000 Supercharger Kit
  • Skunk2 Alpha Header
  • Trying to figure out a catback solution
  • Balladesports upgraded Timing Chain Tensioner 
  • New Denso Coils
  • A full onslaught of new gaskets, o-rings, etc

Tuning Solution: 

• AEM EMS V2

I'll be posting before, progress, and final pictures as the project ensues. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/8/22 1:44 p.m.

Cool! 

Nice to see another Kraftwerks SC'd S2000. I assume you have the newer kit that mounts the SC on top, I have one of the first kits that locates it on the bottom under the header. 

For catback, if you can just do it once and get a Mugen. I've had a few different catbacks and the Mugen is the best one of them all. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/10/22 8:11 a.m.
Slippery said:

Cool! 

Nice to see another Kraftwerks SC'd S2000. I assume you have the newer kit that mounts the SC on top, I have one of the first kits that locates it on the bottom under the header. 

For catback, if you can just do it once and get a Mugen. I've had a few different catbacks and the Mugen is the best one of them all. 

Thanks man! Yea it'll be a newer kit with the top mount. 

Thanks for the suggestion on a catback, I like doing things just once so maybe I'll just go with that. I have a Berk kit but my plan was to just salvage the v-band clamps off of it for whatever other catback I go with. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
12/10/22 3:52 p.m.

Funny that I haven't seen too many of these on grm.  They seem like a great car - a miata + if you will.  

pics!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/12/22 8:24 p.m.

New Calipers arrived 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
12/12/22 9:35 p.m.
jfryjfry said:

Funny that I haven't seen too many of these on grm.  They seem like a great car - a miata + if you will.  

pics!

come drive mine anytime. I put 168k miles on my 01 bought new. Stolen. Replaced with 07 bought new. Had 9 Miatas. Stook is a keeper 

Dirtybird- following! 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/13/22 1:35 p.m.

The S2000 is a great car in stock form. Dare I say, better than the Miata on all fronts. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/13/22 2:37 p.m.

Those caliper are hot!  Any pictures of the car?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/13/22 7:30 p.m.

Sorry for the car pics. New phone and it gets dark early. Driving it to work tomorrow So I'll snap some more. More parts arrived.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/13/22 7:33 p.m.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/13/22 7:40 p.m.

pics from installing a new ac compressor 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
12/20/22 4:25 p.m.

Rear hubs with ARP extended lugs ready to go. Also got the original steering wheel reupholstered 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/15/23 9:37 a.m.

Got all of the spindles off the car yesterday and going to a friends shop to get new wheel bearings pressed in. While those are out the front is getting a bigger sway bar, offset lower balljoints, Bilsteins, and rear diff is coming out. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/15/23 9:43 a.m.

One of the best looking Hondas ever IMHO, I am glad they brought back their old designers for the new CTR. 

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/15/23 10:48 a.m.

Dark green with red interior? That's a bold choice!

What if you powdercoated the valve cover to match those awesome calipers?

Turbine
Turbine GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/15/23 11:08 a.m.

Awesome project! I should've bought one of these when AP1's seemed to bottom out in price a few years ago

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/15/23 1:51 p.m.
mblommel said:

Dark green with red interior? That's a bold choice!

What if you powdercoated the valve cover to match those awesome calipers?

So my paint guy (my dad) doesn't want to do a full color change on this car. Given that he charges me $0 other than supplies I'm contemplating other colors. I ordered another valve cover to do exactly that. Especially since the hammer red on the current valve cover is chipping away :( 

I've got time to decide but if I keep it in the neutral gray realm these are some of the choices I've narrowed down:

Porsche Dolphin Gray: 

Porsche Chalk Gray: 

OR Toyota's Lunar Rock - which has a sage green tint to it. I would get the greenish look without having to worry about redoing all the paint under the hood and in the engine bay. Door jambs and all that will still be done. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/15/23 1:53 p.m.
Turbine said:

Awesome project! I should've bought one of these when AP1's seemed to bottom out in price a few years ago

I got lucky and found one at the dip and kept it through a divorce. Unfortunately through COVID and that divorce it just sat. Taking apart the front end brake and suspension components required a lot of nut buster. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/16/23 3:16 p.m.

Ran into my first two issues on the project last night. 

1) I couldn't get the driver's front wheel speed senor out. Tried nut buster, wiggling it, etc. Tapped on it lightly with a hammer and a small screw driver and it crumbled to pieces. I was also gifted a rats nest of copper as the whole ordeal made the sheathing come undone. That's a $200 mistake. 

2) The anti-bump steer kit came with crappy potted steal bolts for the steering rack. Easy fix if I can find the right type of shanked M10 x 1.25mm x 130mm pointy bolts. The good thing is I have time to find those. 

3) Some random rubber block fell out of the engine bay when removing a plastic tray. Hopefully it's not important. 

Car is super easy to work on and I only busted open one ball joint in removing the front suspesnion and it's getting replaced anyways. 

Slippery
2/16/23 3:25 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

Post a picture of the rubber piece. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/16/23 4:25 p.m.
Slippery said:

Post a picture of the rubber piece. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/16/23 5:05 p.m.

Also look at the crappy quality bolts from this kit vs stock Honda 

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/23 7:06 p.m.

Maybe check out the new Jeep Wrangler color "Earl Grey"

I haven't seen it in person but the Porsche Dolphin Grey looks amazing.

It's a shame though, the bronze wheels and calipers would look amazing with that dark green. 

Awesome build, please keep us updated. 

Slippery
2/16/23 8:40 p.m.

I believe that goes to the front subframe right against the oil pan. Number 5 in tbe pics below. 

My car is somewhere behind a bunch of crap, I will check it out on Saturday and report back for sure. 

Somewhere behind all that crap there is an S2000 that needs to be driven more :)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/17/23 2:22 p.m.

Man how would that even pop out and end up in the front of the engine bay?

Great eye and yes drive it more!

front spindles are back together 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2qTDV96F6226gvF867qU6bXPHIsBnJHAszJVbcrbCUuqUC2NFXDdkNt2Cg0e1wNv