Out for a spin we went ... ;)

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/19/23 4:47 p.m.

ugh bought another project

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
2/19/23 5:10 p.m.

Did my eyes see correctly?? Do I see a side exiting exhaust? Is there a LS in that car??

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/19/23 5:12 p.m.
Slippery said:

Out for a spin we went ... ;)

Hell yea!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/19/23 5:13 p.m.
MyMiatas said:

Did my eyes see correctly?? Do I see a side exiting exhaust? Is there a LS in that car??

This thing has no drivetrain but it was a 1.8 Miata 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/22/23 3:57 p.m.

Talk about a PITA - trying to install the bump steer shim kit. I can get three of the bolts in, the 4th won't line up no matter what order I put them in. I've even tried the BLOX bumpsteer shims (literally the same pieces just anodized a different color, the Megan kit came with better hardware). 

Outside of that, installed the new wheel speed sensor that I destroyed. Also had tires and Bilsteins delivered today so i can wrap up the front suspension now. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/22/23 7:03 p.m.

It took a beer or two plus removing the sway bar to get things to fall in place. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/22/23 8:16 p.m.

new sway bar on as well. 

Accord engine got a nice new baffled oil pan

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/23 8:21 p.m.

What swaybar did you end up going with?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/22/23 11:49 p.m.
Slippery said:

What swaybar did you end up going with?

The Megan one. It was one of the cheaper ones that had multiple mounting points 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/23/23 6:52 p.m.

these are going to look so good once the car is complete 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/26/23 11:39 p.m.

Got the diff out and heading to PuddyMod this week along with the axles. Was able to get it out without removing the exhaust which almost all DIYs said was necessary for some reason. Both rear mounts are trash so that stinks as they ain't cheap for factory or aftermarket replacements. 

Clutch is next and then I'll start reassembling a lot of stuff with the new bits. 

Also bought this brand new valve cover as a temp while the other gets powder coated to match the calipers and it's full of what appears to be rust or something of the sort

Also can't beat Florida in February 

Slippery
2/27/23 8:48 a.m.

I am glad Ben, Puddymod, is still around. 

Back around 2010 I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Honda Homecoming event in Torrance. A week before leaving for California, I received my car back from the bodyshop with a broken differential ... I bought a replacement one from a couple of well know s2ki members in Miami and when I went to swap it pieces of gear came out of it. I was leaving for California the next morning. 

Before cancelling the whole thing I got a call into Ben (PuddyMod), told him my problem and that same afternoon he pulled the differential from his personal S2000 and drove to meet me halfway between the Tampa area and West Palm to give it to me. We met up who knows where, probably around Sebring at 11pm and he gave me his differential so that I could make the trip. 

He did not want any money until I returned from my trip and kept in touch with me throughout the whole thing. 

I did not sleep, swapped the new differential into my car that night and left on a 8k mile trip with no issues at all. Ben is a great guy. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
2/27/23 11:19 a.m.
Slippery said:

I am glad Ben, Puddymod, is still around. 

Back around 2010 I was lucky enough to get tickets to the Honda Homecoming event in Torrance. A week before leaving for California, I received my car back from the bodyshop with a broken differential ... I bought a replacement one from a couple of well know s2ki members in Miami and when I went to swap it pieces of gear came out of it. I was leaving for California the next morning. 

Before cancelling the whole thing I got a call into Ben (PuddyMod), told him my problem and that same afternoon he pulled the differential from his personal S2000 and drove to meet me halfway between the Tampa area and West Palm to give it to me. We met up who knows where, probably around Sebring at 11pm and he gave me his differential so that I could make the trip. 

He did not want any money until I returned from my trip and kept in touch with me throughout the whole thing. 

I did not sleep, swapped the new differential into my car that night and left on a 8k mile trip with no issues at all. Ben is a great guy. 

That's an awesome story. I've heard nothing but good things about him and the work he does looks amazing. He's been super patient with me in our comms and getting me pointed in the right direction with that part of my build. 

All of the diff mounts are trash and have tears in them. I think I'm just going to go with factory replacements on that front, even though they are pricier than stiff aftermarket options. 

Props to you for doing that overnight. Not a fun job in a bind, especially those T8 prop shaft bolts. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/2/23 12:22 a.m.

Bought an SPC Honda Ball Joint Removing/Installing tool (should work on the Accord racecar too) and knocked out all the upper ball joints and popped in new OEM ones today. Also installed the Megan rear toe arms.

Took out the rear shocks yesterday and installed a dual core radiator. The drivers side rear top hat bolts are a pain. First time I've ever had to move a fuel filler neck to remove a suspension component. 

I need to decide on what route to go for rear diff mount replacements. OEM are about $123 per and aftermarket ranges from $200 for a set from Innovative to $320 from Megan. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
3/6/23 9:23 p.m.

Diff and axles are with puddymod. 
Bilsteins went on.

Tomorrow I'll start dropping the trans for the clutch install. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/6/23 12:29 p.m.

Gonna do a photo dump soon. Between law school classes, work, prepping for the daytona 14 hour champcar race, and home reno, progress has been slow. 

- Transmission is out. Waiting for flywheel to be resurfaced so I can throw the new clutch assembly, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and so on in there. Got a ton of new parts to rebuild the shifter assembly as well. 

- Still waiting on diff and axles

- All new ball joints installed

- Old starter is out, new starter is resting in place waiting for trans to be bolted back up. 

- Had to order some new ignition coil connectors as all the clips have broken, along with both of the other sensor connectors on the valve cover. 

- Installed a Remark catback system that has a huge helmholtz resonator for drone mitigation. Will be in concert with a Skunk2 Alpha Header and Test Pipe. 

- Waiting on rear spindles with new hubs/bearings to be completed as well. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
5/19/23 4:45 p.m.

I've had some setbacks with this car. 

Installed the FX300 clutch/pressure plate combo. Went to do a test start up and the clutch destroyed itself. Working with Clutchmasters to get a refund. After some additional research I installed an OEM friction disc with an ACT HD presure plate and it feels great. 

Opted to keep the stock exhaust manifold on due to the less than stellar quality of the Skunk2 I purchased. 

Rebuilt the shifter assemble and it feels like new. 

Still waiting on the diff and axles to be completed. 

New master and slave cylinders for clutch as well. 

I purchased some things like a timing chain tensioner, brake calipers, and a dual core radiator from Ballade Sports when I ordered a front bumper from them. Realizing that their QC and the R&D behind their in-house items is not the quality I'm ok with putting on my car. Having to backtrack on those so I'll be putting a Koyo radiator on, sticking with a OEM TCT, and putting on a Wilwood narrow superlite caliper with two piece rotors. 

I'm going to have to do a garage sale with all these parts I bought and decided not to use. 

Slippery
5/26/23 11:10 p.m.

Good call on the ACT clutch/stock pp combo. I had the FX300 and it chattered like crazy and only lasted 20k miles, while destroying a Toda flywheel.  Switched to the ACT/stock and its waaay better and easier to drive. 

I would disconnect the clutch interlock switch and not use the clutch when starting to prevent any trust bearing issues. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
8/18/23 10:59 p.m.

After taking a few months off working on this thing due to summer time, the heat, and some general frustrations with my progress. I'm back at it. New cam cap bolts are in. I snapped one in the head thanks to a bad torque wrench and I just said "f*ck it" for a while, focused on some home projects, and finally got a day in the 80s so decided to knock this out with my new expensive torque wrench. 

Also got new rear brake lines on. 

The local Honda dealer gave me a bunch of wrong spark plug tube grommets and had to order new ones from a online distributor. So the valve cover fiasco isn't over yet. 

Got some paint ordered along with supplies for sanding and an OEM top is on the way too for replacement. 

Fenders are rolled and rear bumper tab relocated to fit the bigger wheels. 

Still waiting on my diff and axles from Puddy but in no rush. 

Also got a hold of some small but rewarding parts I've been waiting for Honda to put back in production such as the red interior trim push pins, which look so much better than the sun faded and broken ones. 

Slippery - yea I feel much better with that decision on the clutch. I got so proficient at it that the dude who ended up buying the clutch disc paid me to install it as well, so I made my money back then some lol. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qMhXfw01ZGfGfYPJpSNsBLclbYUzxusF6wmaOpWTsw1puFIIDx4OPP3Rmb38MaZe