1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
1/12/11 12:43 p.m.

oh yea, that may just be comanche vs. cherokee as its all different back there.

XJguy
XJguy New Reader
1/12/11 7:23 p.m.

I have an MJ also, the leaf spring perches do extend far down unlike in the XJ which are parallel to the floor boards.

As far as the front axle, what it appears to me is that the center section was rewelded further down closer to the ground, I don't think I see a bend; maybe those are gussets holding the round tubing all together, angles seem to be too sharp to be bends. I think this was done solely for engine clearance. The added benefit is that they could also mess with camber as well as reap a little benefit from the placing more weight closer to the ground.

Those front control arms probably just have offset bushing holes and or the drop and compression is so much that the arms just appear that way in this shot.

XJguy
XJguy New Reader
1/12/11 7:39 p.m.

I just took a look at the original picture and zoomed in...the front control arms actually appear to be 100% stock (makes sense since they twist but dont bend readily and are light), and the mounts are just the reinforced units that come on the Comanche. You can actually buy the reinforcements from the dealer. Some XJ guys have done this mod for offroading.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
1/13/11 8:13 a.m.

you know, on closer inspection.... isnt that the transmission crossmember that we're seeing with a trans mount right in the middle??? which would mean the whole axle tube is hidden behind the lower valence still.

XJguy
XJguy New Reader
1/13/11 10:46 a.m.

Looked at a few other pics, and I think you are correct. It's not the axle afterall.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
5/9/11 5:12 p.m.

welcome. You'll like the projects here...some are quite nifty.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
5/10/11 3:03 p.m.
Trapsp33d wrote: I just went through regestering on grassroots just to say how epic this is!

That's awesome you liked the Jeep. If you liked the last issue you should get down to the store next week and pick up the June issue! The GRM guys did a whole article on the Jeep! I just got it in the mail last night and I'm thrilled!

Feel free to ask me anything.

-Jeff

ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
5/10/11 3:52 p.m.
miatame wrote: Feel free to ask me anything. -Jeff

Pink or brown?

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
5/10/11 9:08 p.m.

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/10/11 10:08 p.m.

African or European swallow?

miatame
miatame HalfDork
5/11/11 7:55 a.m.

Pink, and yes of course...swallow.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet HalfDork
5/11/11 10:38 a.m.

Congrats Jeff and Dave for getting that beast in the magazine! I received my issue yesterday and read the article a few times over. Great article! It is really cool to see something that I have been involved in to some extent make a car magazine. Looking back on the Challenge, the whole experience was so surreal. When I tell people the story about the odyssey that was getting down there in one piece, somehow making two vehicles work enough to compete, fixing our stupid tow rig over and over, and then deciding that an overnight turbo install was a good idea and come out smelling like roses in the end, they look at me like I have two heads.

I can't wait to do it all over again. Maybe in $2012, I will bring something too!

angusmf
angusmf Reader
5/12/11 2:59 p.m.

The last issue of GRM may have seeped into my subconcious, because I just happened to buy a 2wd Cherokee a week ago for my tow/wife-mobile. And now I see why the thing seems so fast. Better power/weight ratio than my old 328i. Ultimate Driving Machine! The SCCA won't let me autocross this, will they? Wife would be crestfallen if I took away her new toy.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
5/12/11 3:07 p.m.

i had to talk to the local bmwcca autox chair and send him pictures of the build before we got the OK to be allowed in, with (understandably) the agreement that they could pull us from running at any time if they felt it looked unsafe. theyre totally cool with it now though

i cant wait to give him a ride next time we run it

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
5/12/11 3:53 p.m.

We really need to get working on the Jeep again. It’s already May and we still need to sort the rear suspension, shim the limited slip, and make sure the turbo setup is working correctly. I’d also like to see it make a clean pass at New England Dragway.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/12/11 3:58 p.m.

Have you guys thought of running an intercooler and turning up the boost? Also, congrats on getting into the magazine

PseudoSport
PseudoSport Reader
5/12/11 4:34 p.m.

Not sure how much more power a stock 4.0L will take. Currently we disagree on the amount of boost we should run. I’d like to see 15 psi with an intercooler and a 50 shot of nitrous but I think I’ve been out voted. Last year the Jeep hit 12-13 psi and saw intake temps of 200+ degrees without an intercooler.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Reader
5/12/11 4:51 p.m.

I hate that I live nowhere near you guys.

admc58
admc58 New Reader
5/12/11 5:04 p.m.

Just read the article, awesome! It was a real pleasure to drive the Jeep. 2011 come on!!!

Alan

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
5/12/11 8:27 p.m.
PseudoSport wrote: Not sure how much more power a stock 4.0L will take. Currently we disagree on the amount of boost we should run. I’d like to see 15 psi with an intercooler and a 50 shot of nitrous but I think I’ve been out voted. Last year the Jeep hit 12-13 psi and saw intake temps of 200+ degrees without an intercooler.

Wow, Jeep motors are a dime a dozen. Throw an intercooler and meth injection or N2O and turn it up to 15psi

Vigo
Vigo Dork
5/12/11 9:03 p.m.
And now I see why the thing seems so fast. Better power/weight ratio than my old 328i.

My friend just ran his bone-stock cherokee a few weeks ago and did 16.0 with giant 235/75r15 tires, 3.07:1 rear gears, no limited slip, and his 2nd time ever drag racing. Realistically it probably would be in the 15s bone stock with a 'highly skilled' driver. With freaking 3.07:1 rear gears.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Reader
5/13/11 6:32 a.m.
Vigo wrote:
And now I see why the thing seems so fast. Better power/weight ratio than my old 328i.
My friend just ran his bone-stock cherokee a few weeks ago and did 16.0 with giant 235/75r15 tires, 3.07:1 rear gears, no limited slip, and his 2nd time ever drag racing. Realistically it probably would be in the 15s bone stock with a 'highly skilled' driver. With freaking 3.07:1 rear gears.

Mine has 3.55s front and rear. Think how much faster that is.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
5/13/11 7:57 a.m.

3.07:1 was paired with the AX15 (manual trans), that's what you're buddy has right Vigo? The AW4 (auto) is kind of a power hog, but it is beefy.

miatame
miatame HalfDork
5/13/11 8:12 a.m.
Trapsp33d wrote: Are you not running an alternator?

Yes, we are running an alternator. It is from an earlier XJ because a '95 has the voltage regulator in the ECU and we are running MS so we bolted in one with it built into the alternator. We removed the stock battery and made a custom box for an old Harley battery under where the rear passenger seat would be. It is just enough to start the Jeep but only weighs about 16 lbs.

Trapsp33d wrote: did your PS Pump beg for mercy?

No it is fine for autoX. We have decreased the diameter of the tires so much that the increased width and stick of the tires seems to be ok with the PS pump. BMWCCA has long runs up here (70-80 seconds) so by the end the PS is a little whiny but so far it is holding up.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
5/13/11 10:25 a.m.
3.07:1 was paired with the AX15 (manual trans), that's what you're buddy has right Vigo? The AW4 (auto) is kind of a power hog, but it is beefy.

You got it. The autos got the 3.55s (iirc) but i wouldnt expect a stock auto to keep up with that one, and 4wd just adds weight and doesnt help you in the 1/4 until you're making 400-500hp and run in 4hi

I told my friend we should put the 3.55 rear in and put some shorter tires on it and take it back out before he 4wd/auto swaps it. We already have the parts jeeps.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UFRVOkHC0mV4R8PLtgmfzixRnNAxxxcQzPKr0k6MTCc6A0wNXjfKinoIu7UFIWn3