Eldoradolegacy22
Eldoradolegacy22
12/16/20 12:20 p.m.

I have a 2011 subaru legacy, the plan is to take the engine out, get an old carbureted engine and throw it in the trunk. My idea is to get my hands on an old 500ci fwd eldorado engine but beyond that I have no clue what I'm doing. This isn't happening anytime soon, just wondering if anybody could give me ideas and advice. Thanks

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/20 12:34 p.m.

1. Do you know how hard those engines are to find?

2. Do you have a welder, the space, and the time? Especially the time. This will take a lot of it (several months) especially if you are new to fabrication.

My girlfriend drives that car so I'd love to see this happen.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
12/16/20 12:37 p.m.

An Eldo motor and trans  would be like a giant anchor in the back of a Legacy.

A boosted banger would be a better choice.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/16/20 1:04 p.m.

Why not grab a  V6 out of a Honda or some such? Plenty of power and it wont weight a ton.

I like this guy's project doing the same idea. Very Grassroots build.

Full build thread here  https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/202888/audi-a3-mid-engine-v8?page=14

Eldoradolegacy22
Eldoradolegacy22 New Reader
12/16/20 3:25 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

I have a welder and the space, just don't have the time right now. And believe me I know how hard it is to find those 500s, there's one that was in my area a while ago, but yeah its going to take a bit of time to get things rolling

Eldoradolegacy22
12/16/20 3:27 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Its gotta be a v8 for me, not really looking to make a drag car out of it just want something American and loud, plus Its gotta be carburated as I really hate wiring stuff haha

Eldoradolegacy22
12/16/20 3:28 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

Has to be a v8, I wont go for anything smaller

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/20 3:41 p.m.

But why a Legacy? Especially that generation. Even the Camry in those years looked more exciting.

Eldoradolegacy22
12/16/20 5:55 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Well it has some rear end damage, smashed window and bent a pillars, the roof is bent, Its going to need some custom work just to repair that so I figured might as well make something interesting out of it. Once I figure out the suspension and drivetrain setup the bodywork will be a completely new challenge. 

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/16/20 7:57 p.m.

If a fwd V8 in the back of your legacy is the answer then this thread might be helpful.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/paccwards-the-2020-pacc-racing-challenge-car/166683/page1/

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/20 8:21 p.m.
maschinenbau (I live here) said:

1. Do you know how hard those engines are to find?

Until recently my local yard had two of them with transaxles sitting there for months.  Hell they show up so much in my life I gave you a crank from one to put in your living room.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MEhl7W10WWarM4mYpAf6X6UR1lIzIBXraPAjJ1Owr0OA3yDunJyWvZSVpiV2Pdvw