1 2 3
rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/10/22 2:52 p.m.

By request wanted to post some info on my daughters $2000 Challenge entry for 2022.

It's a 2013 Taurus Police Interceptor AWD.  We bought it off of FB Marketplace from a guy in south Florida who originally bought it at a salvage Copart auction.  He was planning on fixing it up, but never got around to it.  The car had been in a crash that dented in both rear quarters and broke off the rear wheel on the passenger side.  the front bumper had also been torn off on one side.  The accident must have been a hard hit, it broke the upper control arm and trailing arm in half.   As it turns out, that was a cheap fix as the parts are shared with the Explorer and Taurus, Lincoln, etc.  We got those on ebay super cheap.  We pulled out the dents in the rear quarters as best we could and then the girls hid the rest of the damage with a $50 set of plastic fender flares and vinyl tiger stripes! 

The hardest part was the car had sat for almost 2 years in the guys yard and rats had made a home in the engine bay.  They chewed through more than a dozen random wires, so the engine would run on starting fluid but would not "run".  We trouble shot the wiring over the course of a weekend, drained the fuel, changed the oil, etc. and by Sunday night it was driving.  We got it up on the lift and the girls pulled off the exhaust to save even more weight and give it some character. 

To shave weight, the girls took out the spare tire and all the police gear and bracing from the inside.  We also relocated the battery to the trunk as it sat ridiculously high and forward in the engine compartment.  We used cheap jumper cables for the relocation wiring and made our own T-handle safety cutoff from Amazon parts.  The girls found some Mustang wheels on FB Marketplace and we had to add 1.5" spacers to make them fit.  For traction, we went with a very expensive set of 275R18 Kuhmo Ecsta V730 tires ($1,300).  Due to the massive weight of the car we knew we would need very competent rubber to be competitive at all in the autocross.  After getting about 250lbs off the car, we realized the rear was sitting way up in the air.  Back on the lift it went and we removed the rear coils and cut them down about 2" in total to get the back end lowered just right.  

The girls added a cheap plastic wing to give the car a GT look and they added a $40 center console from Amazon inside to clean up the center tunnel area.  The final bit was to install an email E30 tune from Five Star Tuning, who is one of only a couple of companies that tune transverse Ford ecoboost engines.  They said the tune should allow it to make about 420 HP, which is 60 over stock.  We were hoping for an e85 tune, but they told us that it would require fuel system upgrades that were not in budget.  We did not dyno the car, but based on my butt dyno I believe them!  Overall the car did way better than expected for a 4000 lb behemoth which is due in large part to it being a police model, AWD, and having good tires.  The drag track was very slick during competition, and having AWD was most certainly a game changer.  I'm sure there is more that the girls did that I missed, but that's what I can recall for now.  Overall this was an easy build on our family and one of our best performing ones to date (this was build number 5).  The girls want to bring their car again next May, so we're gonna see what we can do with ~$400 we have left to play with in budget and see if we can get this pig into the high 11's.  FULL SEND!   

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/10/22 3:30 p.m.

Wow - what a great story and build! How did you get your daughters started on the cars? I have two daughters - 5 and 8 years old - and would love to get them interested. They're keen at crafting and hands on with tools from time to time but I'm always hesitant to get too far with them, mostly out of fear of injury.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/10/22 3:39 p.m.

Such a cool car and even better that it was built by a team of excited young ladies! Looking forward to seeing it again in May!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
11/10/22 3:49 p.m.

I love this build - any "final" pics? Curious how the wing, flares and stripes turned out.

Also, this board is slipping. Im not entirely sure how we are several responses in and no one has posted this yet?!?

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/10/22 4:20 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Sibling rivalry wink   My son and his buddies entered a Mustang last year.  My daughter was not going to be outdone by her brother!  Actually, she mopped the floor with him, took 4 trophies to his 1!  I thought she would have trouble finding friends that wanted to participate as well, but they were all excited to learn about tools, cars, and racing.  All of them had just turned 16 and have been driving for only a few months before the challenge.  The livery was especially fun for them, that's the first thing they planned.  Now that they've gotten a taste, they are super stoked to hit the track again.  It was the first time any of them had worked on a car, drag raced, or autocrossed.  I can't believe they went 12 seconds first time on a track! We're so proud of them. 

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/10/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury :

surprise Sorry! Yes, here are some photos of completed project:

My personal favorite ...

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/10/22 5:52 p.m.

It was great to watch the team and the overall family effort.  Everyone was happy to see you win so many categories?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/10/22 6:06 p.m.

Oh man that's great. The car looks fantastic and the 12s when you just turned 16 must have been so amazing for the driver(s)!

egoman
egoman Reader
11/10/22 6:59 p.m.

If the car is driven daily don't do this, but if its a track car....................

Gut those doors the extra weight hiding in there is immense.

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/10/22 7:40 p.m.

In reply to egoman :

That's exactly what we're planning.  Found out just before the race that there might even be ballistic panels in there! We think we can shave about 3oolbs or so between the doors, seats (power drivers seat!). hood and trunk latches and supports, etc. etc.  That coupled with reducing intake temps and increasing boost we're hoping we can get them into the high 11's.  The exhaust was dumping right under the engine at the cats and it got real hot in there.     

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/10/22 7:41 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

No doubt! I didn't hit 12's until I was in my 30's!  That car was sooo stable.  I was nervous for her, but also happy it was a tank in case something went haywire.  

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/10/22 7:45 p.m.

In reply to 84FSP :

Not sure about that, they did not expect to win 4 awards! The GTW$ category only ended up having 6 competitors, that was probably the biggest factor.  They won fastest drag, 1st GTW$, 1st GTW$ Concourse, 2nd Place Autocross GTW$.  The good news is with so many categories now, there were about 30 awards to win and many others won as well.    

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/10/22 8:09 p.m.
dculberson said:

Oh man that's great. The car looks fantastic and the 12s when you just turned 16 must have been so amazing for the driver(s)!

LOL - I'm 53 and I've never gone 12s!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
11/10/22 8:32 p.m.

Great build, with the results to back it up. 

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/10/22 9:14 p.m.

This a police interceptor and they are readily available where?

Yu gerlz ROCK!!!  

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/11/22 8:22 a.m.

Those teens were piloting this beast into the 12's? That's awesome!

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
11/11/22 9:00 a.m.

Literally everything about this is badass possibly my favorite challenge car. 

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/11/22 9:01 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

Yo Right!  I just did a search on Copart, there are 49 Taurus Police interceptors for sale right now.  One of them has a buy it now of $1K and most have no bids.  surprise

nlevine (Forum Supporter)
nlevine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/11/22 9:25 a.m.

In reply to rich911s :

Sounds like the makings of a Spec Police Interceptor sub-class...

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/11/22 11:24 a.m.

Nice work! When I drove this thing on the Challenge autocross course, I was impressed. It did everything better than expected. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/11/22 11:31 a.m.
nlevine (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to rich911s :

Sounds like the makings of a Spec Police Interceptor sub-class...

As a former SHO owner and current girldad, I love this build!

For the spec class, beware that a lot of PI Tauruses do not have the 3.5 turbo like this one. Many (most?) have the NA 3.7 V6.

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/11/22 6:44 p.m.

You are correct sir!  Some are not AWD either!  You have to do your homework to find the unicorns.  But in that list of 49 on Copart there are seven that are  3.5 ecoboost and AWD!  

759NRNG
759NRNG PowerDork
11/11/22 6:50 p.m.
rich911s said:

You are correct sir!  Some are not AWD either!  You have to do your homework to find the unicorns.  But in that list of 49 on Copart there are seven that are  3.5 ecoboost and AWD!  

any body want my CTS-V?.........wink

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter Reader
11/12/22 3:03 p.m.

This is awesome!

Carry on.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/12/22 4:44 p.m.

One of my favorite Challenge entries.  It was my favorite even before I learned this awesome backstory of 4 teen girl build!  

Add me to the list of people now searching out EcoBoost sedans.  Arguably, a Ford Flex (the wagon version) should be able to do similar!  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vK5QhbExudR8sTFao7b9GVVtXmsrO6IrfI3ZXYNZLeV8eOCkfwii6OYeShHPsyrb