1 ... 8 9 10 11
kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/28/22 1:14 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to Opti :

I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could get it to stop sucking oil. 

Any plans for a catch can? Or do you already have one?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/28/22 1:17 p.m.
kevinatfms said:
bobzilla said:

In reply to Opti :

I'm not holding my breath. I wish I could get it to stop sucking oil. 

Any plans for a catch can? Or do you already have one?

already have one. 

EDIT: keeping the revs low and using 0W40 have had the best luck. 5W30 and all the rpms is how you burn it like a rotary. Even with the catch can installed I haven't gotten more than a couple ounces in it

Opti
Opti Dork
11/28/22 5:06 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

If the clutch is strong and compression is good, I don't know what else it could be unless you have so much oil consumption sirs causing detonation and the computer is pulling timing.

Can you check Kr?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/28/22 8:57 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

Cat clogging can cause it as well. Since rust sucks and I want the leaking flex fixed that means the cat has to get replaced. Those parts are already on their way. 

and no I don't have a good enough scanner to do those types of things 

Opti
Opti Dork
11/29/22 2:21 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yah that's what I was saying oil consumption or cat restriction, after rereading I'm realizing that wasn't obvious.

I rigged up a backpressure checker to diagnose all the Fords with partially plugged cats. If the upstream o2 is accessible it's pretty easy to do a quick check and see if you have excessive back pressure

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/29/22 3:00 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

not much accessible and honestly for the cost it's a no brainer. Add in the corrosion and duh. the front "bolts" for the flex are literally round globs of rust. It'll have to be torched out, then redrilled for new bolts and thats way more work than its worth to save a couple hundred bucks

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/17/23 8:26 a.m.

stupid 10 year old cars. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/17/23 7:52 p.m.

So the reason for the post this morning ... left front started to rattle over certain types of bumps, sounded like the cheap end link had come loose again (it had). The rear was more of a puzzle and something new to me. 

Left rear caliper is extremely loose with the ebrake off. Like almost 1/2" of play and it's seeping around the piston seal. It makes an audible clank when moving it around. This one had already been replaced before I got it. It's the same corner that I had to replace on the wife's Rio. Seems to be a weak spot. Luckily they are only $58 for a new one. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/18/23 8:07 a.m.

and the backup (06 Sierra) blew a brake line backing out of the garage.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/23 10:32 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yet another reason I'll take hurricanes over rust any day. 

Opti
Opti SuperDork
1/18/23 7:09 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Thats a pretty common failure if its on the rear axle. A couple years ago there was some talk about them getting recalled but I think GM skirted it. Im pretty sure Dorman makes prebent lines for those and Im told they are commonly on the shelf up in Rustlandia.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/19/23 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

It blew at the ABS pump under the drivers side. Line kit ordered for it.

Rio has a pair of new calipers and Braided brake lines ready to go on tomorrow night. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/22/23 10:11 p.m.

Finally got the car done. Rear got calipers, braided hoses, rotors and a fresh set of Porterfield R4S. Front got new lines, rotors and R4s pads along with a new pair of axles. The last ones had a horrible shake at 40-45 on gas, coasting, clutch in, out in gear out whatever. Spent 7hours Saturday getting it all in with fresh redline mt85 and brake fluid. 

learned a few things. First off Veloster braided brake lines fit as if they were designed for the Rio. Secondly goodridge brake hoses have seofitting you have to make sure are good and tight or they seep and bleed pressure. Not super happy about the design but once properly fitted and tightened and bled they seem to work. The plus side is they are t 11 year old rubber hoses. 

old and busted. 

new hotness. 

also finally properly mounted the catch can and dumped out about 4 ounces of nasty mess. So I'd say it's working and I'll make sure any GDI vehicle I have has one as I'm being gently nudged to buy myself a new daily by the wife. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/24/23 8:17 a.m.

ok, I'm annoyed. The clunk in the rear I fixed has now morphed. The left rear caliper was leaking, sticking and the pins were so loose you could use it as a joystick. Needed replaced. No biggie. Right rear was starting to seep. No prob, not a big deal. Replaced all 4 hoses with goodridge lines. bled all that....

Now it rattles over bumps and theres a rotational click/clunk at low speeds that both go away with either brake pressure or ebrake use. I've checked caliper bolts, bearings, hoses and cannot find anything causing the noise. 

So what can cause a rotational noise that goes away with brake pressure on a torsion beam rear? What can make the same-ish noise over bumps that goes away with brake pressure? The only thing I can think is maybe an inner pad loose now because the caliper fully retracts. Haven't torn it apart to check yet because is cold and we have a snow storm on its way. Damn I should have bought the new car already....

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
1/24/23 9:19 a.m.

Ifit's any help, I had similar symptoms /noise which did indeed turn out to be a marginally loose pad..

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/24/23 9:32 a.m.

For the first time in almost two decades I don't have a spare vehicle to drive so I have to fix as I drive it. Yay

Opti
Opti SuperDork
1/24/23 11:00 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I've seen bad and ill fitting hardware rattle or cause the pads to rattle, I think

My Goodridge lines where longer than stock and hit a wheel weight. Wasn't a rattle more of a click, took a while to find. I don't know how brake pressure would affect it.

Backing plate barely rubbing for rotational noise.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/24/23 12:25 p.m.

Pads loose in the caliper. May try swapping the old hardware back in or tweaking these. Either way not a huge issue to deal with right now

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/25/23 9:35 a.m.

and in the middle of a snow storm, these show up:

No description available.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/4/23 7:39 p.m.

Busy weekend. Finally pulled the mani-cat to change the flex pipe. Why did I replace the cat? Because this is the upper "nut". 

finally got it out but the flex pipe is ordered a year ago was wrong. Right part number ordered. Just not what was delivered. Local advance had one in stock so I ordered it and raced down to find out it was their warehouse store that closed before I placed the order. 

well, only so much more I can do on that so time to check the new wheel fitment. 

and they have plenty of clearance on the caliper. 

woth that done I reinstalled the new manifold and new denso O2 sensor to wait for tomorrow. 

there's a surprising amount of room back there. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/6/23 9:45 a.m.

Those things look great. Konig Lock Outs? Or Dekagrams?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/6/23 7:14 p.m.

Lockout. 

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
3/20/23 11:03 p.m.

I've been reading up on Sundae Cup builds and started to consider a '14 Hyundai Accent SE. I don't know if this thread swayed me towards one or away (and towards a Fit/Mini Cooper)! cheeky

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/21/23 9:38 p.m.

In reply to MINIzguy :

Accent has the smaller front brakes, but the same rears. Swapping to the Rio sx caliper brackets and rotors up front would fix that. 

they're good. Ton of fun and it's a great class. Mini's can't seem to keep engines under them. Fits are the "easy button" and there are some other stuff floating around too. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/26/23 5:06 p.m.

Busy weekend. Finally got the wheels/tires for One Lap. 

While we were at it cleaned the garage. Piles of tires... 

I currently have 6 15x7.5, 4 15x6.5, 4 OE 17x6.5 and now 5 16x7.5. I need more tire racks. 

1 ... 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sxKEBzUGMcg08RHWNLI1igwuxJXCxlBEvzlWalBY2vclLylGgmk9ulPMCdYbY5Pa