1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/5/21 8:00 a.m.

Finally got into the car on Saturday and properly adjusted ride height. Having a bone stock car sitting literally right next to it for comparison is nice!

green is stock, blue is initial and red is final. This is measuring from the floor to the top of the wheel arch at each corner. I used her car for stock numbers. 3/4" in the front and 1-1/8" in the rear. There's plenty of groom to gk lower but I don't see a need since I still have a half mile of gravel road every day. 

and this is the final look:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/6/21 11:33 a.m.

Had the morning off for the wife's dentist appointment (DD for her drugged butt) and took her car both trips. Then hopped right out of hers and into mine to head to work. Wow. The car was really fun on the BC's without the sway bar. The sway bar being hooked up makes it feel so.... immediate. It turns in, grips and goes even on 500TW all seasons. Her's felt decent. planted. Softish. A little flabby. Where as mine felt crisp, sharp and toned. Like a dad bod standing next to a crossfit trainer. 

So happy with this car right now even if it likes to piss me off.

Adamjabaay
Adamjabaay New Reader
7/6/21 4:09 p.m.

Just found this thread , been almost a decade since I was on the grm board much (or any except rrax)

Looks good low sir!   Thanks so much for the help at events as well

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/6/21 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Adamjabaay :

You kidding? I should be thanking YOU for letting me show up. I definitely drag the overall value down a little. 

And this really isn't low. I've set it on the top 1/3 of adjustment because of my surroundings. I could slam this thing to the ground and be more "grounded to the ground" than all the camry's combined. 

Daylan C
Daylan C PowerDork
7/6/21 8:44 p.m.

I'm just trying to figure out how Kia is the bait that brought Adam back on here...

Also said Kia is definitely looking more like a race car now. I like it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/6/21 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Obviously the man knows quality. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/31/21 6:05 a.m.

Finally got tint for both cars. 

and sone new shoes for the sparco race wheels. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/2/21 9:43 a.m.

OK, lots of BS happened this weekend. Worked saturday, mounted wheels./tires, went home to mow and then slept. Sunday.... well that was a cluster. Remember the opposite axle issues? Well the drivers was worse. It's still sitting in the press. I had 12T of pressure, alternating heat and PB. Air hammer at times. Nothing. So I ordered a new knuckle, bearing and hub for the drivers side. swapped in the passenger axle, changed the oil. Resurfaced the Porterfields and rotors because of some odd pad deposits. Power washed the Sparco's and they look really good now. Then installed my tires on the wife's car because of a nice knot on the drivers front tire. So I'll run hers for a while with that on the back. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/2/21 9:46 a.m.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
8/2/21 11:23 a.m.

The Sparco's really look nice on it - looking forward to photos once it is back on the ground at ride height.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/2/21 11:41 a.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

They do. I just wish they were 7.5's!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/4/21 8:09 a.m.

What a ride from last night to this morning.... got the knuckle. Sweet. Bearing I had from Monday. Sweet. Old hub from the passenger side pressed right out. Awesome. New hub out for delivery for today. Awesome. 

Not awesome... none of the parts I ordered came with the snap ring. No parts house shows them. What I can find is next tuesday. Car leaves for Mid-O on Friday night. crappity crap crap crap.

HUGE shoutout to Gumby who found a 3" snap ring in the garage then cut it down and argued with it this morning to fit it into the smaller hole. hehe. Hub is out for delivery so tonight it'll be on its own four paws again.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/4/21 8:29 a.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/4/21 8:55 a.m.

heres the old one. Let's play "find the snap ring". 

and here's the beautiful one Gumby made fit. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/5/21 7:01 a.m.

IT's together. It runs/drive. Tires and suspension feel great. BUT... I now have about 1/4-3/8" toe in because iof the camber gain. The tie rods that were moving 2 months ago quit. They don't care about heat, or PB or how much I pleaded. So for this weekend we deal with it. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/5/21 7:16 a.m.

and the reason I tackled this side: 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
8/5/21 7:26 a.m.

Looks good at that ride height with those wheels. How much camber did you end up with? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/5/21 7:28 a.m.

In reply to fusion66 :

It's now at -2.1 on the left and 2.0x on the right. 

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
8/5/21 10:52 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Any chance of trying again to get those tie-rods loose and adjusted before Mid-Ohio? The -2.0 camber looks great but the excessive toe in combined with the camber might cause some significant wear of those new tires too/from/on the track (unless you are trailering it, then I should just STFU smiley - eh, I should probably do that anyway). I really like how the 615's did on my Fiesta on the track - enough grip and very nice wear life. Have a great time.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/5/21 8:48 p.m.

Last minute MAP torch and sone special juice got me at 1/16" toe out. Driving over on the wife's cars Ironman 205/45/17. Swap in the morning and run the weekend on then. 

edit: trailer? What kind of one lap per would I be trailering a daily to a track day 4 hours from home?

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
8/6/21 7:08 a.m.

Good to hear you got it sorted out and adjusted to where you wanted it. 

When I see a highly tuned race machine like the Rio I just naturally assume it will be trailered to events laugh 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/6/21 7:22 a.m.

Car rides BETTER with 250lbs in thehatch area. Note to self: Bolt Sleepyheadbuffalo to the spare tire well for ballast.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/9/21 5:22 a.m.

sone highlights from this weekend. So much awesome stuff going on. Car is a ball and a champ. Mid Ohio is a beast. Ran mido in the rain. Did t die and laughed a lot. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/9/21 10:58 a.m.

Photos floating i. And I don't even know who to credit. I hope Pete is keeping track. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/9/21 6:08 p.m.

You mentioned 'guard rubbing' on the track at a certain place... since with the current ride height, the 'guard' is has 2.5" of ground clearance.  Can you point out where you're seeing the wear?

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FAV6olLmk6mRQGovvL6xwGu48LCvEKr7rh8L5uQeTZWgXSHuVzVc8i3in3m439EJ