1 2 3 ... 10
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/21 5:11 p.m.

As documented here before, I dragged home a 2013 BRZ yesterday. The plan is for this to be my "make or break" track car build - I'll either get back into enjoying myself on the track, or I'm calling it a day, at least for now. I've only been on the track twice in the last four years due to my clutch foot issues, and I found the last time a little stressful. Anyway, I digress.

Why the "salaryman" build? Well, because I wanted to set a direction for it and I figured I'd build like my Japanese counterpart (ie, a salaryman with some disposable income, but not enough to build something silly fast) would build it. We'll see how far this goes.

So, yesterday I got the PowerStroke and the trailer out, and high tailed it further south into WV:

Got it home - after the turn signals on the truck decided to take a vacation - flattened a small tree with the trailer, unloaded the car and shoved into into the shop. The BRZ is pretty much the biggest track car I can get in there for now that I can move around. If I somehow smuggled a kei car in there too, the place would being to look like one of your typical Japanese tuner workshops. Only that they get work done there.

Today I decided it was time to clear out the interior, give it a bit of a vacuum and see how long it'd take for the smell from the magic trees to evaporate. Pulled out the floor mats, took out the trash - not a lot, but there was some stuff under the floor mats etc. I'd guess that the PO's girlfriend is probably wondering where some of her lip gloss went (into the trash bag)...

But me being me, I just had to check something a little more involved. One reason why this car was relatively cheap for a BRZ was because the PO's PO had run out of talent at some point and tapped the rear bumper against something a little immobile. You can see there's a little paint damage on the bumper cover and the cover and the fender don't quite line up. So, like picking at a scab, I had to pick at it, didn't I?

I mean, how bad can it be?

Out came the light. You can see that the mounting hole look a bit worse for wear, and the metal around the bottom one is a bit more bent than I'd like.

So, things escalated, quickly:

One advantage of modern cars is that some areas do come apart pretty quickly. Unfortunately the corner looks decided second hand:

Compare to the driver's side:

While I could have a go at bashing out the bent metal, I think I'll leave that to the pros. As long as a local bodyshop can straighten it enough that the vent fits correctly again, it'll likely resolve most of the fitment issues as well - I think the pushed in metal pulled the corner of the fender in a bit, too.

Oh, and one reason why I thought that this car was a little more quiet than other Frisbies I've driven in the past:

Yay, weight loss o'clock. Of course it is cheap mat, but the advantage is that it doesn't stick too well so I could actually get a bunch of it out by pulling and peeling. Need to get a heat gun though to soften it up more and get the rest out.

At the other end, the car looks depressingly stock:

That's actually one of the reasons I bought it - I couldn't find much in the way of signs of reverted modifications, nor ill-advised parts. Being a rust belt car, I have to have a very good poke around it from underneath, but in general it's in decent shape. There's some onset of surface rust, and the exhaust isn't in that great a shape (but still gas tight).

So, what's the plan?

Well, other than the unexpected visit to a bodywork pro, it looks a bit like this:

• Continue the weight loss regimen - at least pull the sticky crap in the trunk out and see if there is more. That stuff is heavy.
  • Wheels and sticky tires for track use
  • Brake overhaul, as usual. Brakes work fine other than the emergency brake which has a ton of travel before it holds. They're well used though, so it's rotor/pad/braided line time.
  • See how the stock suspension holds up on the track. I suspect there might be Konis in the near future.
  • Cat'd header, stainless exhaust, flex fuel sensor and a tune. That should take care of the dip of torques, and give a nice bump in power if/when I can run E85 without having to switch maps manually.

That should take care of this year. Depending on how things go, I'll fix what needs to get fixed, and see if I like track driving enough again to make a loop of the US next year in it.

2/28/21 5:14 p.m.

Hmm. Can anyone see the photos in the thread? Firefox shows them fine, but it looks like any Chromium based browser is eating the photos that I linked from my own server.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/28/21 5:17 p.m.

No pictures here, but still reading along.

Edit -  on chrome as well

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/21 5:17 p.m.

I can't see them on chrome.

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/28/21 5:30 p.m.

I see all the pictures. 

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) New Reader
2/28/21 5:35 p.m.

No problem with photos on Chrome here either.

Good luck with the build!

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/21 5:36 p.m.

No pics for me on Chrome.

2/28/21 5:39 p.m.

Hmm. Instead of trying to serve the photos from my own server, I uploaded them to the forum. They should all work now, but it's still a tad of a mystery why Chrome doesn't like them.

2/28/21 5:45 p.m.

Oh, and a PSA - if you're putting sound deadening material into the trunk, fer cryin' out loud make sure it adheres properly. There was moisture trapped pretty much everywhere where this stuff didn't adhere. Fortunately it's all (mostly) coming out again. I suspect that if this had been there long enough, there would be a few nice rust bubbles forming already.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/21 5:56 p.m.

Is this car replacing another member of your fleet, or is it just an addition?

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
2/28/21 5:58 p.m.

This is going to be a fun build. Did you get to drive it? If so, is it awesome? 

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/28/21 6:31 p.m.

Watching. I am interested.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/28/21 6:45 p.m.

Not sure if you plan a tune for it, but the torque dip is real. 

I have an OpenFlash tuner sitting here that I would love to make somebody a deal on. Shipped to me in March of 2015 so I think it is the first generation OpenFlash.  Took the tune off my FRS before selling it.

I also have a set of Apex Arcs-8 wheels in 17x9 anthracite color with Conti Extreme Contact DW 245/40/17 tires that have some life left in them.

I have the yahoo problem so if interested post up here & I'll get you my contact info.

2/28/21 7:22 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Is this car replacing another member of your fleet, or is it just an addition?

For now it's just an addition. The 911 and the Rollerskate aren't going anywhere.

OjaiM5 said:

This is going to be a fun build. Did you get to drive it? If so, is it awesome? 

Yes, and yes - I drove it last weekend before making an offer on it. It's even more awesome now - it had a very loud exhaust on it when I drove it, but the PO kindly refitted the OEM exhaust. I'm too old for exhausts with no mufflers .

secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

I am planning a tune, but with a flexfuel kit so I can run E85 when available. IIRC the only one that works for this is the EcuTek, at least if I want to use the stock ECU - they have a flexfuel sensor that speaks bluetooth, and a receiver to go with that uses (I think) the OBD port.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/28/21 7:49 p.m.

Watching with interest as I'd like to replace my Mazda 2 and this car is on the short list. How many miles on it?

2/28/21 7:51 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

148k. Seems to have held up pretty well for that, especially as it's a rust belt car. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
2/28/21 7:53 p.m.

Gorgeous car! 

but Tim if YOU are a salaryman, rest of us are low caste homeless sub human  wink

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
2/28/21 9:25 p.m.

Enjoy the build and two blue cars! 

3/1/21 7:05 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Gorgeous car! 

Thanks!

but Tim if YOU are a salaryman, rest of us are low caste homeless sub human  wink

OK, I don't wear a suit. I also didn't say I'm an entry level salaryman

3/1/21 7:06 a.m.

Forgot to add the most important photo of them all - the OG GRM license frame fits:

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/1/21 9:38 a.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Gorgeous car! 

Thanks!

OK, I don't wear a suit. I also didn't say I'm an entry level salaryman

Haha. Rich salaryman :D 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/1/21 10:28 a.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

I have an OpenFlash tuner sitting here that I would love to make somebody a deal on. Shipped to me in March of 2015 so I think it is the first generation OpenFlash.  Took the tune off my FRS before selling it.

I also have a set of Apex Arcs-8 wheels in 17x9 anthracite color with Conti Extreme Contact DW 245/40/17 tires that have some life left in them.

I have the yahoo problem so if interested post up here & I'll get you my contact info.

What are you asking for the Apex hoops? 

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 HalfDork
3/1/21 11:03 a.m.

The e85 mix is pretty amazing. It is 20 mile to the closest pump for me but when I mix it I go from 12psi to 17psi. The car makes way louder turbo sounds and goes like crazy. 

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/1/21 3:53 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

At this point I'd take $600 excluding shipping. They've been in my living room for over a year...

Edit to revise price and add link to original for sale post.  The email in there is no good now (it got hacked and I can't log into it).

My old wheels for sale ad

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/1/21 7:32 p.m.
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

148k. Seems to have held up pretty well for that, especially as it's a rust belt car. 

Seriously? Damn, that's a lot of miles. My 2 is at 156,000. Rattles and creaks to beat the band.

No fear then? I was looking at 60k or fewer miles. Should I expand my search then?

1 2 3 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E7eNLv6cA0iIbzt7Fl5kww9jsCjdBGHEwU3hbvUxvA2zLabmSsXCsJstwtYo7DPD