1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/21 10:45 a.m.

And live from Summit Point...

First session out, much more comfortable on the track than I ever was in the S2000.

Everything clicked, I was throwing the car around like it was an, errrmm, Miata. And pointing people by like I was in a Miata, too.

Then click turned into knock, follow by bang and then silence...

​​​

wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/17/21 11:05 a.m.

Uh oh!

BoxheadTim
7/17/21 11:13 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Yep. It's currently doing an impression of Monty Python's parrot, with added glitter on the dipstick.

Starter motor isn't really interested in turning over the motor either. 

Did I mention that my truck is in the shop so I get to pay for a tow home?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/17/21 11:28 a.m.

You seriously have the worst luck ever

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/17/21 11:52 a.m.

That's a downer. Damn. 

wawazat
wawazat Dork
7/17/21 11:52 a.m.

Dang!   

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/17/21 12:54 p.m.

This makes me sad.crying

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
7/17/21 1:09 p.m.
docwyte said:

You seriously have the worst luck ever

This.  Wow Tim.  

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/17/21 3:36 p.m.

You've got to be kidding me.  I was enjoying this one so much!

BoxheadTim
7/17/21 3:38 p.m.

So far it looks like these were about the most expensive ten minutes of track time I've had.

Trying to work out if I sell the car as is, drop another engine in it (well, have the local shop do that) and then sell it, or drop another engine in it and soldier on.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/17/21 4:04 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Well, I can hook you up with a very nice Golf R that still has 4 years and 52k miles of factory bumper to bumper warranty left on it...

BoxheadTim
7/17/21 4:08 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

That might be something to consider. Depends a little on how much I can find a used Frisbie motor for and how much it'll cost me to put it in, plus if my truck is fixable or if that's down for the count.

I should have a bit more info early next week. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/18/21 5:53 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

For sure.  I'm not in a rush to get rid of it, reach out to me to discuss if you care to.

BoxheadTim
7/19/21 1:59 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

Thanks, will do when I see things a bit clearer.

BoxheadTim
7/19/21 2:09 p.m.

Checked with the local shop that looks after my wife's dailies and my truck - they're game handling the engine replacement and sticking the additional modifications on, plus entirely unbothered by the fact that the car isn't stock.

Right now the plan is to get the motor pulled and take off the oil pan - I expect it to be full of the remains of the dearly departed bearings, but I want to see if there is silicone on the oil pickup or not (which would likely come from the valve spring recall).

Used motor (which they'll try help source - I've already got a few leads) is going to get a new clutch (would be daft if it didn't), a forged clutch fork if it doesn't have one already, plus an oil pan baffle and a Killer B engine oil pickup. And while the whole shebang is apart again I'll also try and get a new overpipe dropped in.

Plus I'll have the engine mounts replaced at the same time.

All of that is assuming that they're able to sufficiently clean out the oil cooler and that the cat in the UEL header survived getting doused in oil and potentially other debris as well. If that's not the case then things are getting a bit unpleasant - some of these parts were out of stock the last time I looked, plus the radiator/oil cooler is about $900, and the UEL header something like $1100.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/19/21 2:10 p.m.

$4k appears to be the going rate for engines, $3k if you travel.  I know neither is a fun number.

On the upside, the engine is really easy to take out and put in.

BoxheadTim
7/19/21 2:13 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

car-part.com shows a couple of 2015/2016 engines (which is what I want) with reasonable mileage between $3k and $4k within a couple of hundred miles. It's not great - the car is worth maybe $11k-$12k even at this time - but as you point out it shouldn't be that much money to get the work done. I would be  heck of a lot more upset if I'd just blown up the engine in the 911 or the Alfa.

Of course the "while we're in there-itis" is already striking back and I'm trying to avoid sticking a supercharger in while everything's apart.

This is one of these times where I'm massively thankful that I'm able to put money aside regularly, because this turns what could've been a major disaster financially into an annoyance. A massive annoyance to be sure, but merely an annoyance.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
7/22/21 12:09 p.m.

Sorry to hear about the engine. Lots of work and little reward so far on this car it seems.

Make sure you get the updated throwout bearing while you are replacing the clutch. The Exedy stock replacement kit is still being sold with the older unit, so will need to buy from the dealer I believe. I forget what the new part number is, but there's quite a bit of info out there on it.

BoxheadTim
7/22/21 1:47 p.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Thanks. I agree, it's been a tad frustrating, especially as it's more of a stop gap car.  I'm still not sure if I shouldn't just replace the engine and then sell it, before it makes an even bigger hole in my wallet.

Also, thanks regarding the throwout bearing - I didn't know the Exedy replacement kit still had the old throwout bearing in it.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
7/22/21 6:52 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Well, you hafta decide how much you like the car.  If you really like the car, replace the motor, try to do what you can to make it more reliable, then go enjoy it.  If you don't think you really like it all that much, plus are planning on getting rid of it in the short term future anyways, do what you have to do to get it running again as economically as possible and sell it.

BoxheadTim
7/22/21 7:41 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I agree - kinda trying to work this out right now. It's not so much that I don't like the car - I actually do like it - the question is if I can put it back together in time, or if I lose the rest of the season waiting for parts. If it looks like the latter, then it's definitely time to just drop in another used engine and a new radiator, and send it down the road.

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
7/22/21 7:53 p.m.

Sorry to hear about this.  I've been fortunate to never have an engine just let go like that.  I must not be trying hard enough. We did have a TR6 autocross car slowly losing oil pressure due to a cam failure and faced a decision to rebuild or give up.  Rebuilding turned out to be very rewarding.  Best of luck with your decision.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
7/22/21 8:13 p.m.

If you want a slightly better core to rebuild, I do have a lightly knocking '13 engine sitting around.

BoxheadTim
7/23/21 8:55 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind depending on how the search for a good used engine goes. I wasn't planning to rebuild a motor for it, mainly due to time issues as I would like the car back on the road (and hopefully track) before the end of the decade .

Right now the supply of 15/16 engines doesn't look too hot unless I want to ship one from quite some distance away.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
7/23/21 11:00 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

If you are just putting a used engine back in, I would send it on down the road. I have zero faith in the fa20 anymore when it comes to track work, as it's just a matter of time before bad luck starts knocking.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZjBu2kLw4hUFg9EFnBQqw0PVgWhQ30CJdC0yFCpJ9TCyIP2Wy5Gh8FXWYB4gfEYh