1 ... 32 33 34 35 36
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/7/18 11:51 a.m.
SkinnyG said:

I, you, or somebody else, may have already mentioned - are you absolutely sure you have all the vacuum lines going to their correct spots? One wrong hose can do strange things with idle.

Yes.

Recall that the idle was fine, I had driven it for years, I was driving home, and on the home it suddenly was not fine.

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
8/10/18 10:22 a.m.

I love that there is like a 10 month pause, and you are like, yep, idle sucks... still.. here's the recap.

I just read this whole thread front to back, and you sir, are amazing. that you have been rolling a 600 dollar car for 3 years is amazing. Your biggest issue, it doesn't idle right. 

Keep on keeping on, you will fix it eventually i'm sure. Did you ever get the whole car painted?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/11/18 7:10 p.m.
FunkyCricket said:

I love that there is like a 10 month pause, and you are like, yep, idle sucks... still.. here's the recap.

I just read this whole thread front to back, and you sir, are amazing. that you have been rolling a 600 dollar car for 3 years is amazing. Your biggest issue, it doesn't idle right. 

Keep on keeping on, you will fix it eventually i'm sure. Did you ever get the whole car painted?

Not yet! The hood is yellow and terrible but it’s okay. I will spend money on it soon but despite spending $500 per month on the kids activities (and because of it) I don’t have cash for that yet. 

That idle thing stinks. In all of the messing around I must have wrecked some other stuff. The coolant temperature and the fuel gauge don’t work. So it would be best to fix those and the idle stuff. That would motivate me to paint it. I’m sort of stuck now. 

Thanks for for the note and encouragement!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/15/18 6:31 p.m.

Things just got real. I bought a canopy and primer and I’m going to at least go that far soon. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/15/18 6:32 p.m.

I don't have a canopy, unless you count the shade trees.

So, yours should turn out better than mine do!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/17/18 10:36 a.m.
SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
8/17/18 1:35 p.m.

Well, it's a cheap experiment.  Try it!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/17/18 6:38 p.m.

Well, he got it! Simply adjusting the TPS all the way to one side actually fix the problem, and while I was in there I replaced the  temperature gage and fuel gauge with my spares, although the idle is now fixed in the gauge is now reassembled, and my temperature gauge is back, I don’t think my fuel gauge is right and the cruise control still doesn’t work. Recall that the cruise control was a feature that stopped working when I disconnected the speedometer to fix the idle problem, so I’m still stuck on that. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/20/18 6:40 p.m.

I was wrong

i had the speedo hooked up wrong, hence no cruise. Once I hooked it up properly, the idle problem came back regardless of the throttle position sensor calibration. 

I had a kid measure the voltage across the speedometer outputs and it shows roughly zero stopped and between 2-3 volts bouncing around while rolling when the idle gets screwy. I don’t know why it is like this unless it’s a signal and not a normal output but I don’t own an oscilloscope anymore. 

FunkyCricket
FunkyCricket New Reader
8/27/18 12:38 p.m.

I understand the monthly output on kids. Aftercare alone will be 90 bucks a week this year, then lunches, taekwando, clothes (cause jeans like like 3 weeks if i'm lucky with these boys!), it all adds up. 

I had an old tbird that would rev like mad, I replaced everything on that ol' girl, including 2 tps sensors. never did figure that one out, but it got better when I redid all of the grounds. I can't recall if you resanded your grounds or ran new ones (block to body and main to body)

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/14/19 3:21 p.m.

With the new job comes a long commute. I may get this thing moving to sell. 

With some of the free time I have in the next few days I wanted to try putting the thing in primer. I have a astro pro hvlp. My compressor kept up but ran most of the time. I tried hard but don't think the gun setup was good. I had pressure at the gun around 29psi and then increased to 40 or so but noticed no big difference. I was using a 1.3 tip because it's what I have and I still am not sure how to get replacement tips. 

Anyway material  transfer was poor. I had to be way too close to get any coverage and the texture is rough. Not orange peel but more like "it hardened before it stuck"

No pics because my phone is terrible. Not even worth the effort to try. 

Any easy things I did wrong? Can I use this tip or do I need to get something else?

Thanks 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/14/19 3:38 p.m.

Make sure the cup vent isn't clogged, or a vacuum will be created in the cup stopping your material flow into the gun. That one got me a lot. Also the litter filter mesh screen between cup and gun is usually not needed if you're pouring through a filter into the cup like you should. 

Other than that, just make dang sure the gun is clean

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/14/19 3:40 p.m.

Everything was cleaned and I did pour through a screen but I don't know what a cup vent is. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/14/19 4:49 p.m.

I got some close up pics with my wife’s camera. 

Also so I mixed this 4:1 in three batches and each was the same. It was mixed well. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/14/19 4:49 p.m.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/14/19 8:08 p.m.

All signs point to the tip being too small. Can it be changed on a EUROHV103 ?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/14/19 9:12 p.m.

Open flow on gun to full

set pressure at gun to 29 using compressor regulator. Big drop along the hose as you know

if your gun has a little strainer at the bottom get rid of it.

1.3 should be fine . Reduce more  and  or go with slower reducer.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/14/19 9:58 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Using compressor regulator?

Do you mean the one at the base of the gun?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/15/19 1:40 p.m.

So I spent a lot of time sanding and using filler here and there and finally put on a second reduced coat but the gun was an inconsistent joke. 

Occasionally it would work ok, and I would go and things went well. Most of the time the material transfer was laughable. I cleaned it over and over and adjusted over and over and finally the material knob came all of the way out and it sprayed wonderfully briefly until the needle unseated and primer dribbled out the front. 

For the the rest of the time I pressed the spring with my thumb and left the knob on the ground and it was much better but obviously hugely hard to control. 

I think my my gun is broken. 

Paint is scheduled for Friday. Pete, a long time ago you offered to lend me yours through the mail. Is that offer still good?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/15/19 6:41 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Friday might be a bit tight to get across the border, but yeah, still valid.

Can box it up on Monday.  FedX work for you?

Pete

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
6/15/19 7:10 p.m.

The cup vent is a hole in the lid of the cup so air can go in and paint can get out.

You're not moving too fast, laying it down too dry? (I am no pro).

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/15/19 7:27 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Tha should work. Me covering shipping is probably cheaper than buying a gun, if that is the issue  

Email me. Bkb  001  at Gmail 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/15/19 7:42 p.m.

Ive had good success with the cheap harbor freight hvlp gun (usually 9.99 on sale)

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/15/19 8:04 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

I'm hemming and hawing. Perhaps I modify my gun, it's supposed to be good, perhaps I shorten the spring or deepen the screw  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/5/19 8:05 a.m.

1 ... 32 33 34 35 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
baAQKaJS2WYOfROtKS9RkzS2HIYdPOGA5U6dX7M9Xi0JP9M3ZdAMwzj1Ugh64zdv