1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/17/20 7:19 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

That's weird, I figured performance would be the same on a Hyundai product. As far as I can tell, everything works perfectly on mine, using a Samsung Galaxy 10+ for a phone, using USB-C for the data connection. It takes about 3 seconds for full functionality to be available. Android Auto even picks up my preferred music app (BlackPlayer EX). It allows me to do much of what I do in the app, including shuffling the songs, something I would have to do through the phone over Bluetooth in other cars. Everything is lightning quick with zero lag. It might be because it's brand new, I don't know.I do have to press the screen, but it's easier than fumbling around with the phone like I used to have to do. Hitting the volume knob pauses music; I haven't tried the volume switch on the wheel for that yet.

And V6/turbo Altimas better be faster, they make a lot more power! 99.9% of the time, it's a clapped out 4-cylinder that's barely hanging onto life that causes trouble. Last one was an Altima Coupe with the 2.5L. Haven't seen one of those in a while.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/17/20 7:27 p.m.

Well, your phone is an order of magnitude more powerful than mine so that might be a big difference.  The rest of the experience is probably the same.  I had some cord related issues early on - AA is very sensitive to the quality of the cable you use (which makes no sense whatsoever).  But yeah, if I could speed it up 5x it would be wonderful.  If I could do it without plugging into USB it would be even better yet (I hate taking my phone out of my pocket every time I get in the car).

Volume knob pauses musing streaming through Android Auto?

I have a 5 year old.  He talks (interrupts) a lot during books.  I got used to just hitting pause when we were listening to USB media.  When I switched to Android Auto for trips the lack of a discrete pause button started to drive me insane.  I hate looking away from the wheel to pause the music.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/18/20 7:27 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I just tested the volume knob "pause". It technically does not pause; it shuts off the AV system, which pauses the music. It basically cuts volume and pauses the track with the app I am using. Other parts of the system, like Google Maps/Waze, stay on and functional. So basically, it works as a pause button without it being a pause button. The steering wheel volume mutes just like yours. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/18/20 7:38 a.m.

Heh, I tested mine this morning also and it is exactly the same.  Its werid because the time readout will continue moving, and when you unpause it returns to the point where you paused it.  For example:

7:51, 7:52, [hit volume knob], 7:53, 7:54, 7:55.... 8:05, 8:06, [hits volume knob again to 'unpause'], 7:53, 7:54

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/18/20 8:35 a.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

Mine definitely doesn't do that. What music app are you using?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/18/20 9:29 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

That was Google podcasts. I didn't try Audible (which is the only other app I use)

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/28/20 11:09 a.m.

Roughly 3 weeks into ownership, and the car has 700 miles on it. So far, so good. I've been getting brave with it, trying to find its handling limits, and I must say, the car handles remarkably well. With stickier tires, it would be a blast at a HPDE. As it is, it's pretty fun in the twisties, but it would be a blast with real summer rubber. I've been testing out it's acceleration more and more as I approach the end of the break-in period, and it's plenty quick for my daily driving needs. I haven't quite brought it to redline yet, but one thing I have noticed is that it seems to cut boost between shifts; It has a slight delay between fast shifts in power delivery when you give it the beans. This may be because I'm not used to DDing a turbo car after so long, or it could be because it's a small 1.6L engine with a turbo, but it's something I need to get used to.

Gas mileage has been less than expected, but better than the Mazda and not terrible overall. Averaging 27.7mpg so far in mixed driving and 99% of that time Sport Mode is on. The in-cluster fuel computers (there are three different ones) are all very optimistic. They have been telling me I'm getting at least 30mpg per tank. With the same type of driving, I was getting about 23-24mpg in the 3.  I am sure that I can get well into the mid-30's with strictly highway driving in Normal Mode where it limits boost.

One observation that took me a while to pinpoint is what cars I would compare it to that I've owned/driven. It feels new, yet it feels so familiar at the same time. And then it dawned on me yesterday when I was driving it: this car feels like the love child of my 2002 Subaru WRX wagon and my 1989 Nissan Maxima SE. When I look back at all my daily drivers, those are always the two I miss the most. My recent Mazda 3 was easily the most reliable, and while it handled well, both the WRX in its final form (Stage 2 power mods, lowered on STI pink wagon springs and Tokico D-Specs, perfect shifter and clutch feel, etc) and the Maxima SE (great looks, great handling for a sedan, great stereo, and sporty VG30 growl) made me want to get in and drive it for hours just because. I get the same feeling from the GT.

Also, someone recognized what it was a few days back on the highway! I was putting along on the highway, and a guy in a Stinger GT pulls up alongside, gives me the thumbs up, and then took off. Seems like "Kia/Hyundai people" know what it is. Definitely weird driving a car that only a few people in my entire state may own or know what it is.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/29/20 5:07 p.m.

I can tell you with certainty fuel economy will go up with age. The older cars could take 15-20k  before  the fuel economy actually started to climb. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/29/20 6:19 p.m.

On straight highway it will get pretty great mileage.  I have done plenty of highway trips well over 40mpg.  The Forte has a better drag coefficient (by a rather significant amount), so you shouldn't have any issues.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/29/20 8:02 p.m.

Not too worried about the MPG thing. It's still better than my last car, so it's ok. I'm sure it will improve later on. 

Speaking of highway trips, I had to go somewhere today about 50 miles away, 99% highway driving. This car is a much better highway car than the 3 ever was. It feels more mid-size out on the highway, and much more buttoned down and a lot less twitchy than the 3 ever was. The power band is is perfect for this kind of driving, and the gear ratios are spaced well for it. Driving extended trips in the 3 wasn't the worst in the world, but it felt cramped after a while. This car has much more room for the driver, and I feel like I could drive the thing halfway across the country before I would get tired. It is a bit loud thanks to the exhaust, but it's still quieter than the 3. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/4/20 8:32 p.m.

Took some impromptu pics of the car today:

Not bad for cell phone pics. Car still looks great, I think. 

BTW, I am a month into ownership now. It has just shy of 1000 miles on it. So far, I do not regret this purchase. The car is a blast to drive, and a bargain for how much you get for the money. Lately, I've been looking for excuses just to drive it. That's not a feeling I've had for a long time. 

Jon883
Jon883
10/27/20 12:22 p.m.

I know you said you get around 27 mixed fuel mileage, have you gotten a tank that is mostly all highway? I am pretty sure I'm getting a GT2 with the dual clutch, looking for more real world mileage results. 

I did enjoy reading this thread and seeing how much you like your car!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/27/20 12:33 p.m.

In reply to Jon883 :

My best tank so far was 29.3mpg, and that was mixed driving. Worst so far was actually my last tank, which was 25.6mpg, and that was mostly due to me driving with a VERY heavy foot. While it isn't as good as some of the competition, this is all on 87 octane swill, which is what's recommended for the car. The onboard fuel computers are about 3mpg on the optimistic side than my Fuelly/aCar tracking app. If I did purely highway driving and was keeping my foot out of it, I would think mid-high 30's would not be an issue.

Jon883
Jon883 New Reader
10/27/20 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Thanks for the quick response! Thats one of the bigger selling points is that it runs on regular instead of 91 like the Si. I have a GT2 lined up for me to test drive this Friday. Already test drove the base GT, just want to compare the 2 before I pull the trigger!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/27/20 5:22 p.m.

In reply to Jon883 :

No problem at all, happy to help! Good luck!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/10/20 11:55 a.m.

Whelp... I am about two months into Kia Forte GT ownership. I have put about 2000mi on it in that time. Some observations during it's brief tenure:

-At first, I was only driving in Sport mode. I use Normal mode a lot more now. It's A LOT easier to manage the clutch this way from a stop (this was an issue I talked about previously), and the gas mileage change is significant.

-Speaking of Sport Mode, I have noticed that when the car is cold, it limits boost in Sport Mode. Once it reaches operating temp, the gloves are off. I'm sure that's part of the ECU programming and a good thing, but it's noteworthy.

-While the shifter is not bad, it's not quite as good as the one in my old Mazda 3. I've found myself fumbling for gears a few times. This could be user error and/or me getting used to the car, but it doesn't feel as precise as some of the competition.

-No issues with the infotainment so far. Android Auto has been fine with no glitches/lag. I do wish there was an option like Mopar's UConnect Performance Pages that offered data and extra gauges/monitors as part of the package.

-So far, I am averaging just 27mpg. The best tank was 29.3, while the worst was 25.6. That bad tank included a lot of idling and me driving like an idiot after break-in was over. The norm has been above 27mpg. For comparison, I was averaging 22-24mpg in the Mazda 3 doing the same driving toward the end of its tenure.  While not quite as good as some of the competition, it's better than the 3 while making 40 more hp/tq, and it does this on 87 octane. That's a win in my book, and I think it will get better from here.

-Exhaust has gotten even louder as the car breaks in. It's downright rowdy sometimes, but never obnoxious. The farts and pops are definitely not what you would expect from a car like this. Sounds way better than it should, and very un-Kia-like. I'll have to get a video.

-Handling continues to be good as I explore the car's limits. I did get it to break loose in a corner once, but it was the FRONT that plowed, not the rear. Not much torque steer, and the car feels planted and grippy out back, so the rear IRS is a welcome upgrade of the torsion beam of the regular Forte. Tires are not the best in the world, but they will do for now. There hasn't been a time where I've found myself begging for a LSD so far.

-Power delivery in Sport mode is kinda weird. It's kind of like riding a jerky wave. I haven't found the boost sweet spot, and it seems to come on at different times in different gears. It's different than other boosted stuff I've had in the past. When you catch it just right, it's a blast. That boost wave is all over toward the top of the tach, though; it falls off above 6k. I would imagine a tune would remedy this and smooth things out.

-Only things I have changed on the car were the rear license plate bulbs, wiper blades, and I added a factory optional license plate mount. I had some LED bulbs left over from my Mazda, and they were the same size, so in they went. Looks much better, and it honestly should have come this way. The car came with conventional frame wipers, which are awful for New England winters, so I swapped on Trico NeoForm beam blades. I have been using these for years on everything and they are great. The license plate mount is basically a small piece of molded plastic that extends off the bumper to mount the top screws of the plate to, nothing special. It took over a MONTH to get it direct from Kia. Every other modern car I've purchased from a dealer came with a factory mount, so having to order one was annoying.

So far, so good. It does sporty DD stuff very well. I'll keep updating as time goes on, as there's not much out there on these.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/10/20 12:08 p.m.

My Elantra GT sport 6MT got similar MPG until about 7500 miles.  I now see 30-32 in mixed.  Not sure if this is programming or use of loud pedal wearing of and me getting used to how to drive it "economically".  Ironically full highway (70mph) is basically the same.

Also the boost cut when cold is REAL.  I find it takes 5 ish minutes of driving until the computer let's rowdiness occur.  

Mine has 53k miles and no issues.  It may have to go in because the automatic up/down on the driver's window gets wonky sometimes.  Otherwise trouble free.  Hope you have the same experience with the brother from another mother Turbo 6MT korean car.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
11/10/20 12:10 p.m.

Been excited to follow your Kia long term. Was also similarly excited see Stinger long term ownership of Dougs. Looked like he dumped his this weekend, after 8,400 miles. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/10/20 12:52 p.m.
nocones said:

My Elantra GT sport 6MT got similar MPG until about 7500 miles.  I now see 30-32 in mixed.  Not sure if this is programming or use of loud pedal wearing of and me getting used to how to drive it "economically".  Ironically full highway (70mph) is basically the same.

Also the boost cut when cold is REAL.  I find it takes 5 ish minutes of driving until the computer let's rowdiness occur.  

Mine has 53k miles and no issues.  It may have to go in because the automatic up/down on the driver's window gets wonky sometimes.  Otherwise trouble free.  Hope you have the same experience with the brother from another mother Turbo 6MT korean car.

In the Hy/Kia of old, full break in sometimes would hit about 15-20k miles. That was where most finally hit that point where that was the fuel economy you were going to get. The First Forte was around 25k. I wish I knew why, but it just is.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/10/20 1:48 p.m.

I made a video of the exhaust, just for you guys. Remember, this is a STOCK exhaust.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/10/20 2:17 p.m.

Tried to find my old Forte exhaust ckips but it looks like PB ate them. I really am missing that car. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/11/20 3:53 p.m.

One thing I've been wondering since I picked up the Kia is if my Mazda 3's winter steelies would fit the car. Both cars are 5x114.3, but I was concerned that the 16" steelies wouldn't fit due to the Kia's much larger 12" front brakes. Today, I decided to toss one on the front to see what happens.

Well, they fit, but how close is that caliper?

You cannot cut it any closer than that. They do spin freely and they don't make contact, but man, that is close. They are so close that I don't think it's a good idea to run them. Disappointing, but I had a feeling that would be the case. I'll probably clean these up and put them up for sale soon.

In other news, I checked out the Kia wheel while it was off to see if it said anything about offset, width, etc. To my suprise, it did.

They are as advertised: 18x7.5, 55mm offset, and to my surprise, made by Ronal. I didn't know that Ronal was still around. Very cool.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
11/11/20 5:05 p.m.

I’ve had mine (16 SX) about 6 months now and I’m loving it. It’s a Commuter, roughly half freeway and half country roads, and it’s also become our utility car. In mixed driving I’m averaging 6.6 L/100km which works out to about 36 miles per gallon - and I drive it because I actually look forward to my commute now.

I got rid of the resonator in the intercooler piping and after a makeshift intake it now pulls strong to 6500. The intake made a big difference. 

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
11/11/20 8:00 p.m.

How about a 3mm spacer in there for caliper clearance?  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/11/20 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Honestly, I never thought of that. It might work. Certainly cheaper than a new winter set. 

1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jgI3OzXLfFCgVfXNA1bup1mQnO4o2nfDCko4FB8CVWGXVX7tFCs1UwmgahWHs2ld