1 2 3 4
Ognib
Ognib Reader
9/5/21 12:16 p.m.

So I'm looking at this housing. Welds are deep but very scabby looking.

Plus it's got the tubes that tapper down at the ends. It'sgoing to be a highly visable feature at the rear of the car & I want it crisp & well detailed.

The plan is to cut the existing tubes off & re tube with new steel. Will go with someone like curry & fit it with some nice aftermarket ends. This will also let me run the big bearings.

I'm in research mode...educate myself in how to pull it off successfully.

happy labor day!

Ognib
Ognib Reader
10/28/21 10:05 a.m.

This is the start of the fixture that will jig everything solid for fitting & welding.

I've done a lot of reading & some vids on the subject.  Became familiar with the Thompson rod & bearing simulators for good alignment of both ends with the center section.

Called the steel warehouse where I bought material for the frame etc.  Need 3" OD, DOM with 3/16" wall. They have it in stock but only sell 20 ft length.  With recent price increases, $450.00 for a 20.  Needless to say, I'm looking for a shop that has an off cut to buy.  It's out there just gotta find it.

lownslow
lownslow GRM+ Member
10/28/21 12:54 p.m.

https://www.hotrodworks.com/

Try these guys.

Ognib
Ognib Reader
11/8/21 4:21 p.m.

Lownslow, thanks for the referral. Found a local shop that specializes in rear axle overhauls & mods. Also  build custom aluminum driveshafts. They do a lot of retubing for the same reason I'm doing it. They sold me same material they use on 9 in ford's. So I'm dialed in. Gonna cut it so I can pick it up tomorrow morning.

Ognib
Ognib Reader
11/9/21 4:05 p.m.

Got my steel. What a beautiful piece of material! Smooth & slick, like it's been polished.

Still looking for a short piece of 3 in I, D, for cradles for the tube to lay in & be clamped securely.

DarkMonohue
DarkMonohue GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/9/21 10:37 p.m.
Ognib said:

Still looking for a short piece of 3 in I, D, for cradles for the tube to lay in & be clamped securely.

Muffler clamps might do the trick, depending on how they're sized. Heck, even v-blocks made from lengths of heavy angle iron can make pretty good cradles for tubing.

Ognib
Ognib Reader
11/10/21 2:02 p.m.

Ya, the V block will work well. Good idea.

Ognib
Ognib Reader
11/12/21 3:36 p.m.

I don't know, could be overkill on the clamping. I'm known to be prone to overkill. Just want to be sure that everything is solidly locked in place for welding.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/13/21 7:21 a.m.

Overkill is proper kill on this job

Ognib
Ognib Reader
11/13/21 3:24 p.m.

Ya agreed! The necessity of building the jig with.a solid piece of tube is that the ends are in perfect alignment. Then, after I cut the tube & fit the center sectioñ, both ends will still be in perfect alignment. This is the key to this being a successful proceedure.

And the more clamps on it the better, I think

Ognib
Ognib Reader
11/19/21 3:45 p.m.

Set the gearset back in the case for centering the pinion in the frame. The base of the jig is also centered on the frame. Transferred the pinion center to the jig with the square & marked it. Everything will build off of this centerline.

Ognib
Ognib Reader
11/21/21 10:40 a.m.

By having the axle & the jig both centered on the frame, the frame becomes the primary point of reference for layout of the jig & the build is accomplished right on the frame.

When it's all said & done, all I'll have to do is take it out of the jig & hang it on the 4 bar & it fits just as i want it to.

Ognib
Ognib Reader
11/30/21 2:51 p.m.

I tacked the jig base to the frame, the uprights to the base & the clamps U bolts to the side of the uprights. Tighten the bolts & have an immovable piece of tube to work with.

Get the inner pieces fitted & ready to move on to the job at hand.

One clamp on far end slipped a bit. Doesn't affect anything other than offending my sense of order. But, not enough for me to cut it lose for re positioning. frown

Ognib
Ognib Reader
12/4/21 7:07 p.m.

Been thrashin jigs ready to boogie.  Get the old ends removed in next day or two & the center section trimmed out so it'll all slide together.

Will need to go back to shop that sold me tube & get the end caps which hold the bearing cups. They also have the backstrap brace that I'm going to use. Get it while I'm there & get it fitted along with everything else.

Excited to see this come together!

Ognib
Ognib Reader
1/17/23 8:47 p.m.

Been a crazy couple of years.  Wife was in hosp for couple of weeks on top of everything else going on iñ the world. Almost lost her. Sooo needless to say said 27 roadster has been on the back burner.

I've looked at it most every day and I've got a fire in my belly to get back on it.  Wife's about back to normal now so my mind is being freed up to focus on it once again.

No pics at the moment but getting the ball rolling again.

Best to all!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/17/23 9:01 p.m.

Glad to hear your wife is doing better. I hope things continue to improve and you can have some relaxation time. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
1/17/23 9:12 p.m.

That's good news. Thanks for the update

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/23 11:33 a.m.

Glad to hear the wife is doing well.

Ever figure out how to clean the axle interior?
This stuff is beastly against grease.  Don't leave it on aluminum
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-heavy-duty-degreaser-42998.html

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/21/23 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Ognib :

Been having a similar time in life. Take care of what matters, the car stuff is patient.

Ognib
Ognib Reader
1/22/23 10:17 a.m.

Thanks for all the replies & comments!

Asa, spray can brake cleaner & red scotch Brite made pretty quick work of it. Rubber gloves a must & several blue paper shop towels.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YRHAqPDItMvzJPWOksmyUotflywg22tKQgo3jKrdfSYSgUrCFXHrSXJsxnyUqVlw