1 2 3
JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/15/13 2:42 p.m.

This project is insane. (a.k.a. I love it.)

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/15/13 2:42 p.m.

This project is insane. (a.k.a. I love it.)

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
1/15/13 2:49 p.m.

Staying true to the Cosa Nostra; will there be a 3rd pedal?

Too cool! How big is your fuel budget?

andrave
andrave Dork
1/15/13 3:11 p.m.

this. is. awesome.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
1/15/13 3:12 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Staying true to the Cosa Nostra; will there be a 3rd pedal? Too cool! How big is your fuel budget?

3rd pedal doesn't have to be a clutch http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/05/24/banned-mclarens-rear-brake-pedal/

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/13 3:21 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: Staying true to the Cosa Nostra; will there be a 3rd pedal? Too cool! How big is your fuel budget?
3rd pedal doesn't have to be a clutch http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2007/05/24/banned-mclarens-rear-brake-pedal/

I was thinking more like a 3rd pedal attached to an arm that extends a jar of Grey Poupon out the window.

andrave
andrave Dork
1/15/13 3:24 p.m.

personally, I would cut out the rusted floor board nice and square and then rivet aluminum diamond plate over the hole. Just be careful with the nitrous, if you danger the welds on the intake manifold, that aluminum, although larger than the hole, will likely be sucked through.

but, hey, winning is winning.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/15/13 8:28 p.m.

We may have to think of potential uses for an "alternate" 3rd pedal...so many potential options!

Fuel budget? Like many things of this fine brand, if you have to ask you can't afford it! It will certainly use more than our Civic (4.5 gal/hr) or the boat (8 gal/hr). There is a reason it had a 27 gallon tank stock.

The floor will definitely be covered, probably sheet steel we can weld in, and maybe some scrap diamond plate on the top for extra traction. I don't think we are going to have manifold danger, we can't use NOS, yO!1.

I hadn't heard about the dryer hose having that sort of issues... interesting. We may just extend the PVC, who knows.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
1/15/13 8:54 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: Asked and answered over on the Lemons board. Its a spark plug anti fouler, you've probably got some blowby on that cylinder

I had a Cutlass that would foul out plug #1 due to bad valve seals. One of those bad boys would allow me to go 1000+ miles and not change the plug out. A guy at Trak Auto sold me one.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/18/13 3:51 p.m.

This is exactly the type of automotive craziness that just plain makes me smile. I love the juxtaposition of ultimate luxury and pure effluence embodied in a project like this. I am firmly in the camp of race it 'til the little flying lady falls off!

Do you still have my number? I am only an hour away these days and have plenty of free time to contribute to the build in any way that I can. If you need more hands give me a shout anytime... and if you need more drivers call me first!

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/18/13 9:02 p.m.

tb, I don't have your # anymore, please email me: abbottcd at gmail.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
1/20/13 8:09 p.m.

This is the sort of madness LeMons is all about! I used to sell those antifoulers, they basically make the heat rejection path for the spark plug so long that the tip gets a lot hotter and is less likely to get spooged up. Or at least that's the theory.

Have you gotten around to removing the window regulators yet? Post a pic when you do!

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/29/13 8:15 p.m.

The day we got it running, it was wet out, so of course we had to try to do a burnout. Here are the results:

As Jeff on our team says, This is the best future-crapcan racer Rolls Royce Burnout you'll see today!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Me2ArbTOK4

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/29/13 9:00 p.m.

Don't the wheels need to break loose in order for it to be considered a burnout?

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/29/13 9:08 p.m.
bgkast wrote: Don't the wheels need to break loose in order for it to be considered a burnout?

Details, details.

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb HalfDork
1/29/13 10:23 p.m.
Sonic wrote: The day we got it running, it was wet out, so of course we had to try to do a burnout. Here are the results: As Jeff on our team says, This is the best future-crapcan racer Rolls Royce Burnout you'll see today! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Me2ArbTOK4

I think Chrissy said it best from behind the camera ... "Not very interesting!"

Unless of course you love beauty of laughing at utter failure!!

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
1/30/13 11:51 p.m.

Rather than stability control, a system relegated to vehicles available to commoners, each Rolls-Royce monitors and corrects driver inputs through its patented chain-driven, vacuum-controlled Dignity Drive.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/31/13 8:24 a.m.
Mitchell wrote: Rather than stability control, a system relegated to vehicles available to commoners, each Rolls-Royce monitors and corrects driver inputs through its patented chain-driven, vacuum-controlled Dignity Drive.

Brilliant!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
1/31/13 10:25 a.m.
Mitchell wrote: Rather than stability control, a system relegated to vehicles available to commoners, each Rolls-Royce monitors and corrects driver inputs through its patented chain-driven, vacuum-controlled Dignity Drive.

Adrian_Thompson
1/31/13 10:27 a.m.

IS it too late to plead for this not to become a crap car candidate, instead make it a challenge or UTCC build? Tommy was on about an M5 beater the other day, how about an LSx’d swapped RR with manual transmission, modified suspension, circle track steeleis etc. That could be, to use an overused phrase, EPIC.

Adrian_Thompson
1/31/13 10:29 a.m.

Or: http://www.ebay.com/itm/T04E-8PC-T3-T4-UNIVERSAL-TURBO-KIT-V-BAND-TURBOCHARGER-W-WASTEGATE-INTERCOOLER-/170893521129

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/31/13 2:08 p.m.

There's no reason that a lemons race would preclude the Rolls from participating in any of those events or getting any of those mods in the future. These motors do take to boost quite well. The current evolution of this same motor now makes over 500hp and 700 ft lb torque in a modern Bentley. How do SU carbs deal with a blow through setup?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/31/13 3:18 p.m.
Sonic wrote: There's no reason that a lemons race would preclude the Rolls from participating in any of those events or getting any of those mods in the future. These motors do take to boost quite well. The current evolution of this same motor now makes over 500hp and 700 ft lb torque in a modern Bentley. How do SU carbs deal with a blow through setup?

Really "well." You "should" try it.

Adrian_Thompson
1/31/13 3:47 p.m.

I'm just ocncerned it's going to get beat to hell in a Lemons race, and promis me if it 'wins' the stupid we'll crush it coz we don't like it award you'll tell them to go berkeley themselves with a rust prybar, pack and leave with it intact.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
1/31/13 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

They don't crush cars anymore, and even when they did, your team had to be completely made up of a$$holes who would piss off other competitors. The worst now are some "racing incidents", and even then, it's less than Chump and far less than a Spec Miata race.

Lemons is certainly no longer the barely disgused demo derby that it was back in the Altemont days. Contact is strongly discouraged and penalized now, though it does certainly still happen. The Rolls will be so slow and uncompetetive, we just plan to stay out of the way, and "motor" about the track...at least at first

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dVwqKDCSxKU0FaEx6SDD0Pz1jhLV1l1elCl4T9iblm6FIQpu3Zrxmkt4DNdNKcDt