GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
5/27/16 4:42 p.m.

well its a lincoln MK8 97 model.My bud Les say's the computer will keep it from use in the challenge as too much has to work for the engine to just run and shift the tranny.For 600 bucks I have to ask. REALLY ALL I Want is eng. and tranny but may be fun at the challenge.I am a carb Guy so be nice.

Opti
Opti HalfDork
5/27/16 6:36 p.m.

What keep the stock PCM from running it?

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/27/16 7:14 p.m.
GTXVette wrote: well its a lincoln MK8 97 model.My bud Les say's the computer will keep it from use in the challenge as too much has to work for the engine to just run and shift the tranny.For 600 bucks I have to ask. REALLY ALL I Want is eng. and tranny but may be fun at the challenge.I am a carb Guy so be nice.

So put the thing on a high carb diet. Everyone wants to tig weld the sheetmetal intakes, but you can do the same thing with a mig and mild steel plate and a grinder and a drill and a file and a whole lotta beer.

Cobble up some ford EDIS bits to make sparky events and you should be good to go.

http://www.stangtv.com/features/car-features/budget-10-second-ride-adam-coxs-carbd-dohc-99-mustang/

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
5/27/16 11:02 p.m.

I was really hoping for a pair of duratecs or zetecs. Maybe 4 small blocks!

Oh well...

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
5/28/16 1:05 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I feel like that needs some Cammer style valve covers.

Definitely not worth the time/resources it'd take to make them though.

dropstep
dropstep Dork
5/28/16 8:07 a.m.

They do sell a few carb intakes for the 4.6 but finding a used one cheap is really hard.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
5/28/16 8:42 a.m.

In reply to dropstep: did I mention ADHD, I May be Afflicted. I had the Idea I would use my Vette in the challenge but It will be a driver and as hard as I try to stay cheap I do care what it looks like,and even though I have very few dollars in the engine itself part wise rebuild has been a bit costly,so the ford was just to come play.buying stuff would cut into the vette and for that much more it will be finished,It,s just tuff without help.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
5/28/16 10:57 a.m.

You can use a socket and a distributor to pair together. Drill a hole in the valve cover and put a dist hold down on there and you can pull the efi off. Use the stock intake and weld or potentially jb weld a 4 barrel intake or go full out and get two sets of moton carbs. Not that I have researched and ever had a plan.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/28/16 12:56 p.m.

If not the valve cover approach, you could alternatively fabricobble a distributor drive with some cheap industrial timing belt parts (you just need a 2:1 tooth count), like so.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
5/29/16 7:22 a.m.

that's two good answers, I was hoping for something a bit less complacated. the MK8 computer wants stupid stuff like door locks and other SAFTEY options functioning. the buy-in was just 600 bucks so it looked good at first.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/16 7:35 a.m.

Is there a reason you couldn't use the ecu, harness and sensors from a Mustang. There should be tons of those in the bone yard. I wouldn't think the ecu would care if there were a couple of extra cams in it.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
5/29/16 7:41 a.m.

That was at the top of my list, then I can look for a 5 speed and then....... and then...... throw it all in this ERA cobra frame I Have.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/29/16 8:32 a.m.

Reason I tossed this out is cause the Minion is working on just this project with a budget of like no money.

Base template for the sheet-metal intake:

Kinda where his is going with this:

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/29/16 10:14 a.m.

It's been a while since I've looked, but moats had some hardware to tune eecV computers.

That is what is in there.

Going carb means changing the trans.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
5/29/16 6:38 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME: I guess I will take another look 'cause that looks good. that manifold needs Injectors that look like webers. that could break the bank let alone the budget of a challenge car.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
5/30/16 6:59 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: Is there a reason you couldn't use the ecu, harness and sensors from a Mustang. There should be tons of those in the bone yard. I wouldn't think the ecu would care if there were a couple of extra cams in it.

This is the answer if you want to stick with an ECU. There are a few posts regarding this over on Corral.net. I think the only gotcha is IMRC on some of the DOHC motors; the SOHC EEC won't know how to control it.

2000 GT DOHC Swap

chiodos
chiodos Dork
5/30/16 8:09 p.m.

Check to see what the factory five guys are doing ecu wise. It makes way more sense to run the ecu then spend tons of hours trying to get a distributor and carb to kinda work

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HHe0g3GfpFJfCOe456VcynPtq1YTvElT2N8TafMxLnZN5nBANF9HVFu104bxcUmy