1 2 3 ... 15
Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/30/15 6:41 p.m.

Waiting on parts for the V8 Daihatsu Hijet, so I got started on the VW. The components are just laid out here. Stainless front tube axle with chrome everything else. 61 Single Cab (whats left of it) with bed sides and tailgate. 2x3 Rectangular Tube custom frame. ZZ5 with A/C. Shortie Powerglide. Ford 8.8 with 3.73 Traction Lok and disc brakes. Weld Wheels with Sportsmans. Engine/Trans/Rear will ride in subframe (lilke V8 Daihats) to keep the wheelbase reasonable.

The wheel wells will be filled in

Front Axle

Still trying to decide how far to stretch out the front end

My Build Blog - www.BenModified.com

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/30/15 7:40 p.m.

I think it would be cooler if the front axle was in the right place.

Good start though.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/30/15 7:51 p.m.

Dude. I wanna hang out with you. This is awesome.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/30/15 8:15 p.m.

In reply to nocones:

That or put the engine in front of the cab (and the axle in front of the engine) and bob the hell out of the bed. I think I saw a picture of one done like that once. Cool stuff in any event if only for the fact that he's taking a junk split window bus and doing something besides a factory restoration on it.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
1/30/15 9:45 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to nocones: That or put the engine in front of the cab (and the axle in front of the engine) and bob the hell out of the bed. I think I saw a picture of one done like that once. Cool stuff in any event if only for the fact that he's taking a junk split window bus and doing something besides a factory restoration on it.

I considered going that route but I would have a ton of heat coming in thru the safari windshields.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/15 10:31 p.m.

Trust your instinct. I like where you're going with this.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
1/30/15 10:49 p.m.
Woody wrote: Trust your instinct. I like where you're going with this.

Thank You! Positive feedback is always appreciated.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
1/31/15 8:41 a.m.
gamby
gamby UltimaDork
1/31/15 1:23 p.m.
Ben_Modified wrote: Video of the Build so far

That's pretty awesome/wild. Aesthetically, the truck would look better with the front wheels located in the cab's god-given wheelwells, but who the hell am I to tell you what to do?!

Plus, it'll look pretty wild stretched out like that and I'd assume it'll drive a bit more predictably.

Regardless, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
1/31/15 5:04 p.m.

Started assembling the front suspension, brakes and steering. Also took several measurements to start on the frame build.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
1/31/15 5:52 p.m.
gamby wrote:
Ben_Modified wrote: Video of the Build so far
That's pretty awesome/wild. Aesthetically, the truck would look better with the front wheels located in the cab's god-given wheelwells, but who the hell am I to tell you what to do?! Plus, it'll look pretty wild stretched out like that and I'd assume it'll drive a bit more predictably. Regardless, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

By moving the wheels out from under the cab, I can get the cab much lower in the frame and I will not have to sacrifice room in the cabin. With the wheel wells filled in, I think that the lines will flow well. I also have a few other cosmetic upgrades planned.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/15 11:24 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

I like the mid engine front axle layout you have but might pull the axle back close to the cab if nothing else is going to be up there, maybe to the point of having to cut tiny wheel wheels into the front corners of the cab.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/2/15 10:05 a.m.

The voices in your head seem to be leading you down the right path. Just keep going!

dimarra
dimarra Dork
2/2/15 10:55 a.m.

Rather than filling in the wheel openings, what about utilizing them for Moon tanks or something similar?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
2/2/15 11:45 a.m.

I'll need an autographed picture of your first wheelie 'kay?

peej410
peej410 New Reader
2/2/15 11:45 a.m.

Is the whole engine/trans going to be part of the unsprung suspension mass? If not, you will need some sort of short of driveshaft. Otherwise you wont have any movement, beyond the pivot point of the rearU-joint

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/2/15 11:53 a.m.

In reply to peej410:

Good point! He mentioned the setup sitting in a cradle like his HiJet but I'd have to look back to compare.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/2/15 5:54 p.m.
dimarra wrote: Rather than filling in the wheel openings, what about utilizing them for Moon tanks or something similar?

I like that idea. Thanks

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/2/15 5:55 p.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: I'll need an autographed picture of your first wheelie 'kay?

I'll do my best!

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/2/15 5:58 p.m.
peej410 wrote: Is the whole engine/trans going to be part of the unsprung suspension mass? If not, you will need some sort of short of driveshaft. Otherwise you wont have any movement, beyond the pivot point of the rearU-joint

Yes, part of the unsprung (actually hybrid sprung), all together in a cradle. Should work alright, the trans is very light, my guess around 90 lbs and the engine has aluminum heads and intake and light weight headers. The engine is nearly center mounted and the front connections of the cradle are attached to the sprung chassis. Also the rear tires have massive 8 inch sidewalls. Clearly will not be running any autocrosses or at least not winning any.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/2/15 7:04 p.m.

I thought a normal powerglide was 95lbs, I'd think a shorty is lighter.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
2/2/15 7:23 p.m.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281502346105?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

dimarra
dimarra Dork
2/2/15 8:56 p.m.

While I'm not a big fan of that eBay Crosley, there's a LOT of VERY nice detail work involved.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified New Reader
2/3/15 6:23 p.m.

Started on the Frame today. Got one of the Z'ed rails done. Would have gotten more done but work got in the way. Stupid Job

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
2/3/15 6:32 p.m.

You're not right in the head.

and I love it!

Looking forward to seeing what happens.

1 2 3 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j9wa1NRNxydCvJ1So1ek4GUVDCMyQSBwF34VbuZq6qmBkS8bWXhuwGUhoCFgJ159